Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During a recent trip to OH for Thanksgiving I picked up a nice little project bike. Over the winter she'll be converted to a nice little cafe/scrambler project (not sure of all the specifics yet). It's a '73 Honda CB 450. She's a parallel twin. She needs a new front end (it's set up with long front forks and mini ape hangers), tires, chain, and an electric starter to be fully road worthy. The kick start works wonderfully and kicks over in less than 6 tries cold and on the 2nd or 3rd when warm. I rode her for about 30 minutes before buying. I paid $250 for the bike and an additional tank (blue one, slightly differet shape).

Should be a fun little project and I'll be able to learn lots on bike maint. Plus, Sally'll be able to learn on her without fear of dropping her. She's a bit on the heavy side (the CB, not Sally). Weights in at ~500 pounds.

When I got her, she had been an outside bike and was muddy and a bit rusty. After a good wash, she looks pretty good. All the rust seems to be surface rust and should be taken care of pretty easily. The inside of both tanks have a bit of rust. But, I plan on PORing them myself (thanks zoom for the instructions).

Pics will follow as soon as I can upload them (having issues right now).

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
still waiting on the pics....

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
let me kow when you have pics up

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
My thoughts went like this:

[15:19] Slow Poke: posted pics
[15:20] nuyuushin: I see potential here...
[15:20] Slow Poke: you and me both.
[15:21] nuyuushin: I see black w/ a chequerd stripe
[15:21] Slow Poke: lol.. nope.
[15:22] nuyuushin: This is my vision.. and I'll ask you kindly STFU!
[15:23] Slow Poke: lol..

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wrenching...

...is lots of fun. Yuu (Ian) and I are here at my house pulling off all the parts from my CB450 project. We're pausing while the gas tank drains. We're planning on pulling everything but the engine. Only reason I'm not pulling the engine is I have no jack stands. And, no way to hold up the bike from overhead.

If anyone wants to stop by, we'll be here in the backyard. I have beer, liquor, and some burgers for later if I don't order a pizza.

Done for the night... Time to go out. Pics to follow either tonight or tomorrow.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Re: Wrenching...

It is fun! Sorry I did not see your post sooner but actually I was up to my elbows in some work on the 2 monsters. Got to practice using my new single-sided rear wheel stand, added DP CF beer tray to S2R, tried some metal polish on the SS Reverse Megaphone exhausts - works good, started putting on my steering damper. Also got the 900 out cleaned it up and took some pictures. To get out to the storage unit I rode my MADASS scooter.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Re: Wrenching...

Scott, if you can toss the motor/frame into the back of your truck and bring it out here, we can separate the engine and frame and then have lunch @ the Hunter's Head pub. Best time will be after the first of the year, when my shop will be heated, but before March 1, when the hot rod gets started.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts