Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dodge Viper blue, its a 99' M750 with 3700 miles, I purchased it for $4000, its not an S4R but at least its real ;). The previous owner said the paint job was $1400 for the tank and the front fender, also said the "two brothers racing" exaust was $600. The bike sounded superb, and was in very good condition, not a scratch on it. There was however some etching on the left handed side of the frame, and gearbox(?); aparently a stock battery exploded. Any suggestions on how to repair the etchings myself?

Here are some pics:

I wonder how a carbon fiber rear seat cover would look...

Anyone know of a good Monster compatible throttle lock?

Any suggestions for new grips?

Previous owner also added a tachometer.

There she is, let me know what you think about the color scheme, That shade of blue is really one of my favorite colors, however I'm not sure that I want my monster in it...What do you think?

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Great looking bike. Ive often thought of painting mine blue like that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
let me do the calculations... $4,000 - $1,400 paint job - $600 pipe = $2,000 WOW GOOD DEAL!! ;D

I offer you $2,200 for the bike without tank and pipe!!

just kidding.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Beautiful bike. Love the color.

I use a Vista Cruise on my VFR and am thinking about one for the Monster. I had to modify mine to fit the VFR, but it wasn't that big of a deal, primarily grinding the plastic to a small width so it wouldn't bind on the grip. I did not have to modify the grip, although some people do.

I think I'll always have a Vista Cruise on any bike I own. It's great on the interstate and gives your throttle hand an occasional break on the backroads.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
Nice deal on that!
I dig the blue. its nice to have a bike that looks different than everybody else's.

Here's some random suggestions:
ProGrip makes some nice gel grips, most bikes shops have them.

Grab a blow dryer and some GooGone, and peel off the warning stickers...

That rear tire looks like it has had it (from the photo anyway)
some new tires will help alot.

I think the tach looks badly tacked-on like the tach on a Civic.
I'd rip that sucka off. you dont need one.

Throttle Rocker is a cheap and easy touring aid (you do need to keep your hand on it still)

Enjoy your new bike!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd leave the color - I think it looks really nice. I'd ditch that tach or find a better place to mount it - looks like an afterthought right now. Personally on an older monster, I think it would be better to find a newer instrument cluster with a tach built in. Get rid of the rear drink tray and get a cowl for the seat. CF looks ok but color matched looks better IMO.

Not much you can do about the etching on the frame except to paint it. Good winter project .. :) Am I missing something? It doesn't look like you have any mirrors .. ?

Looks like a very nice bike and I think you got an excellent deal on it. Congrats!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah the back tire is toast, I know I needed a new one of those. But this hugger, sorry I'm not in on the monster lingo, is that the part of the exaust that makes the pipes go to either side? If so what do I replace that piece with? I love the S4R exaust, minus that huge catalitic converter(or whatever it is).

·
Registered
73 Posts
But this hugger, sorry I'm not in on the monster lingo, is that the part of the exaust that makes the pipes go to either side?
The hugger is the rear fender ... protects from crap flinging off your rear tire.

Nice color. All you need are some white stripes to have the S4R look ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So wait...does anyone have a picture of their bike with no "hugger" because I would think that keeping such a device on my bike would prevent things like oxidation on the frame, rear suspension, and other...rather important parts..although I could be convinced otherwise if it does look really good. Keep in mind I do live in a state that uses lots of salt and sand on the roads. Pretty much any car in maine has lots of rust on the underside.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts