Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's been a week since I took out my 620 out for a real ride, and to work no less!

For about a month, I've just been riding around my neighborhood (very light traffic) and slowly spiraling outward just like my MSF course instructor recommended. However, my boss, an avid motorcyclist, called me up last Tuesday morning to go into work using our motorcycles and after a bit of hesitation and some convincing on his part, off we go. After that 40 mile ride (avoiding highways because I'm not *there* yet), I have to admit that it was VERY exciting though I found myself a couple of time "scrambling" because I was a bit nervous and also didn't want to hold up traffic.

Once back home, I began to think about the mistakes I've made and there were a few: stalled twice / (up)down-shifting causing me to "jerk" / throttling too quickly cause me to *jerk* / scrambling or hurrying out of a full stop to avoid slowing down the traffic behind me...

I guess all in all, it's a matter of time and practice and I was wondering if anyone had similar experience when he/she took their first *real* ride. Just looking for some pointers....

Los

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
If it helps at all, and I dont know if youre doing this, dont look at the gauges when youre starting at a light or stopsign. I kept looking at my tach and trying to get enough to go but was so fixated on it that I kept stalling. I was afraid I was going to launch it into orbit if I revved to high but that wasnt going to happen in reality. After a while I learned to trust myself and "feel" the bike instead of trying to read it. Slowly release the cluch and feel it grab then throttle more. I thought after 15 yrs of driving stick it would be easy, but I had to relearn how things felt on a bike.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
my first "real" ride was in a downpour, in heavy city traffic. i'm familiar with the "trial by fire" method.

you'll get the hang of everything, just keep practicing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent advice!

I have noticed myself looking at the gauges coming from a full stop and I, like yourself, did stall. However, I kept reminding myself this quote from my MSF instructor:

"Wherever you head goes, the bike will follow..."
Hell, coming out of a stop and looking down a the tach, that's the last place I'd rather go. Thanks for the sound advice, HyperM3.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It took me about 500 miles before I felt very comfortable riding in traffic. I totally sucked at first. After about 2000 miles my skills and confidence in operating the bike had improved tremendously, so that all I really have to do now is concentrate on the road and other vehicles.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Sounds like you're off to a good start! Now just keep it up for another 5 or 10 years and you'll get the hang of it. ;D

Seriously, consider getting to a track day in a year or so (after you've mastered the basic skills of cornering, shifting, braking).

I had been riding 20 years, and after my first day on the track last year, I realized that I really didn't know crap about riding motorcycles.

It will open up a whole new level of skill for you, MUCH of which is transferrable to the street.

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts