Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
question...I rode the bike to work today.... and noticed it's first oil leak. I'm at work and don't have the proper tools to check out the cause, but it appears to be coming from the shaft the front sprocket is attached to. Is this common, and is this an easy (just replace a gasket fix), or maybe more?

it's an 01 m900
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,309 Posts
It is more likely either a leaky clutch slave, or oil leaking past the o-rings on the shaft that the clutch slave pushes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
maybe it's nothing, buuuuut your chain's not too tight, is it? maybe pull the front sprocket when you get home and make sure the countershaft turns smoothly by hand? good luck and here's hoping it's only a seal and not a bearing problem.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is the fix.....pull the rod and replace the o-rings...or is ther a lil more to it? When I replaced my pressure plate, I had to remove and reuse the bearing, and to do that, I had to pull the rod out. I probably damaged the o-rings then :-\
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
slowduc said:
maybe it's nothing, buuuuut your chain's not too tight, is it? maybe pull the front sprocket when you get home and make sure the countershaft turns smoothly by hand? good luck and here's hoping it's only a seal and not a bearing problem.
the chain is a lil loose if anything
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,324 Posts
bobspapa said:
is the fix.....pull the rod and replace the o-rings...or is ther a lil more to it? When I replaced my pressure plate, I had to remove and reuse the bearing, and to do that, I had to pull the rod out. I probably damaged the o-rings then :-\
If you didn't clean the pushrod before you pulled it through you're probably right. There is a tiny oil seal on the clutch end you might want to check while you're in there.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ducpainter said:
If you didn't clean the pushrod before you pulled it through you're probably right. There is a tiny oil seal on the clutch end you might want to check while you're in there.
coolness.... I'm gonna order the seals, before I check it. I might as well replace them while in in there checking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,324 Posts
bobspapa said:
coolness.... I'm gonna order the seals, before I check it. I might as well replace them while in in there checking.
Get yourself some sturdy pick tools to dig stuff out of the internal grooves.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ducpainter said:
Get yourself some sturdy pick tools to dig stuff out of the internal grooves.
should I pull the slave off, and clean and replace it from that side or pull the rod out from the other side?
(yes...I know not what I'm doing ;))
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,324 Posts
Whichever is easier. I think the clutch end has an actual oil seal with o-rings on the slave end. I would do it from the clutch end so I didn't damage the lip of the seal. If there are o-rings at both ends it doesn't matter.

Clean the pushrod with some crocus cloth or sand paper to remove any burrs etc. and put a light coat of grease on the rod to lube the seals/o-rings.

And whatever you do ask for help before you do anything that might be considered "stoopit". ;D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ducpainter said:
Whichever is easier. I think the clutch end has an actual oil seal with o-rings on the slave end. I would do it from the clutch end so I didn't damage the lip of the seal. If there are o-rings at both ends it doesn't matter.

Clean the pushrod with some crocus cloth or sand paper to remove any burrs etc. and put a light coat of grease on the rod to lube the seals/o-rings.

And whatever you do ask for help before you do anything that might be considered "stoopit". ;D
I wake up doing stooooopid things ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,324 Posts
bobspapa said:
I wake up doing stooooopid things ;)
I know, I know..........................lm told me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
maybe this isn't what's up with your bike but check anyway. my gsx-r was 'leaking' oil at the counter shaft and i was going crazy wondering how i would fix it. so i cleaned the hell out of it and discovered it was just chain lube getting hot against the case and dripping off. sure glad i cleaned it before i ripped the bike apart. that would've sucked.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nissontek said:
maybe this isn't what's up with your bike but check anyway. my gsx-r was 'leaking' oil at the counter shaft and i was going crazy wondering how i would fix it. so i cleaned the hell out of it and discovered it was just chain lube getting hot against the case and dripping off. sure glad i cleaned it before i ripped the bike apart. that would've sucked.
I lube the chain.... but not that much ;D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ducpainter said:
I know, I know..........................lm told me.
one would never know that she actually likes me ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,309 Posts
LT Snyder at desmotimes sells the o-rings as a little kit, and includes the one that goes on the end, which you have to do from the clutch side, so that's what I did. But, he's got a $30 min order, so you got to find something else to buy from him at the same time.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
toolfan said:
LT Snyder at desmotimes sells the o-rings as a little kit, and includes the one that goes on the end, which you have to do from the clutch side, so that's what I did. But, he's got a $30 min order, so you got to find something else to buy from him at the same time.
What sucks is.... I just ordered Honda parts for the scooter from bikebandit the other day...and had I waited... I could have ordered the o-rings at the same time.... the individual parts are less than two buck :-\

Oh well
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45,105 Posts
Oh, since no one mentioned it do make sure it is not a leaking slave. The brake fluid can mix with the flung chain lube and look like engine oil.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
howie said:
Oh, since no one mentioned it do make sure it is not a leaking slave. The brake fluid can mix with the flung chain lube and look like engine oil.
Thanks.... I'll check that too.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,364 Posts
toolfan said:
LT Snyder at desmotimes sells the o-rings as a little kit, and includes the one that goes on the end, which you have to do from the clutch side, so that's what I did. But, he's got a $30 min order, so you got to find something else to buy from him at the same time.
Buy his book that shows how to do it - $30, too
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top