Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after having the Monster S2R (my first bike) about 5 weeks, I had my first serious mishap today. Had just bought some new toys for the bike (chain lube and tail fairing) and rolled the bike out to start working on it. Must not have had a good footing under the side stand and as I walked away the bike fell onto it's left side :(

Looks like the damage is:
Broken clutch lever
Bent shift lever
Bent shift connecting rod
Broken left mirror
Scuffed up misc. parts (bar end, passenger pegs)

Also, the gearbox seems to stick down when downshifting, the lever doesn't reset to the middle position. I'm hoping that this is due to the bent lever and connecting rod and will be fixed when I fix the lever, any experience with this?

So how much of this can I fix myself?

I am mechanically inclined, but I don't have a garage so I can't have a multi-day project.

Attaching pictures of the broken clutch, bent shift lever, and a picture of my baby before her first encounter with the pavement.

Attachments

·
Registered
663 Posts
It is all doable with simple hand tools, ifit take you more than 2 hours, you are playing with yourself. Shifting problem s/b fixed with new rod. shift lever can be straightened, if yo don't want to replace it.

Invest is some cycle cat sliders, you would have had no damage to speak of, maybe the bar end and mirror. I had a crash on gravel with less damage than you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks tripod, frame sliders were on my list of things to buy but, of course, I dropped it before I got them. Needless to say they are higher on my list now - as soon as I fix the clutch and shifter, I'm taking it to get some sliders.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
@#$% the first tip-over is always to most painful...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I feel you. I've got a red 2008 S2R 1000. Got knocked over today.

I parked it out on the street in D.C. and went to go get a coffee and work out. Strapped my helmet to the left side passenger hand-grab like I usually do. Parked about 3:30 and came back to it around 5.

While was walking back to my bike I came back I noticed some deep white scratches on the crown of my black helmet. "Huh?" thought I and after walking up to the bike looked closely at the helmet. "What could have caused that?"

And then I looked on the ground. And on the ground was my shattered clutch lever.

Long and short of it is that some guy parked in front of me (if my Monster were a car) must have floored it while backing out and leaving his parking space. I say floored it because he hit my Monster with such force that he not only knocked it over the kick stand, but there was also a deep dent in my clutch cover where his car hit me.

I say "some guy" because whoever it was picked up my Monster after knocking it over. At least he didn't leave it on the ground. But didn't leave a note.

So I called the cops and called the insurance company and called a local dealer. Got a destruction of personal property report filed for insurance purposes and the dealer will be sending a truck out to pick up my bike tomorrow morning.

My Monster is now sitting on the street broken and inoperable (I literally have no clutch lever at all) while I'm sitting here thinking that it's probably been knocked over again. And maybe run over to boot.

I'll do another assessment of the damage tomorrow, but for now here is what I've noticed:

Clutch lever
Mirror
Handlebar end cap (beat to hell and fell off)
Clutch cover
Helmet
That carbon fiber looking insert located under the seat which says Monster S2R 1000. (Was snapped in half as it was between the bike and the helmet when the bike fell and landed on the helmet).

My question to you guys is this: Where do you park when you park on the street? I don't want this to happen again.

Thanks. Needed to vent.

(To OP - Couldn't start my own thread for whatever reason so am posting on yours. I'm feeling your pain for sure tonight. It sucks to see this sort of Monster damage, no?)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
axputnam: I don' t have any suggestions on where to park - I typically either park away from cars, backing into a parking spot but keeping my bike very visible (don't pull in as far as possible), or I park on the sidewalk next to the place I'm visiting.

On the clutch lever, it is quite easy to fix, you just need a replacement. OEM cost something like $40, or you can go with after market like CRG if you want an upgrade/adjustable lever. Once you get that fixed you may be able to ride it home.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
I'll pull mine up on the sidewalk or whatever next to the building rather than park it in a row of vehicles. I will park it in a parking space where vehicles are side by side but avoid the front to back for just this reason.

·
Registered
635 Posts
One tip over and two 'car related accidents'.

First 'car' related accident, 45 minutes after got bike, lady going for the 4 lane cross, blocked view by SUV didn't see me untill, she hit me... she ran

Tip over, was entering garage, turned right, hit brakes, front right caliper 'stuck' no movement, bike and me down, no sliders .. but right leg got bike on it.

Second 'car related accident', Jan 06, 09, downhill, right 90*turn ahead, maybe 15% slope, wet road, doing around 50kph[30mph], starting to turn, leaned to take turn to the right, white shadow appears out of nowhere, clips front tire, me goes down hard on my right knee, tumble, helmet works, bike slides on right side; pick it up, sob ran like rabbit, limped home on bike, still re-assembling. Light limp on left leg still. Money spent in all repairs, ca. $4000.00...Remember, I must import all the parts.

So, have fun repairing and riding; as I see it, is part of the experience.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Wow SmilingBear and axputnam, sorry to hear about your drops! Both your damages look familiar to my friend m620 that she's dropped a few times.

I bought my bike (a red 2001 m750) in pristine condition and am ALWAYS worried about dropping or even scratching it. I've called to get Speedymoto sliders to both shops in the City and they've been out of stock getting them "any day now."

After 2 months of safe riding (even riding with friends on back) I haven't had a single drop until last week when I dropped it TWICE.

The first time I was meeting a friend and stupidly parallel parked it like a car (always keep your back wheel to the curb.) Luckily my hands were still somewhat on the handle bars as it was falling and I did my best to hold it up as it was falling exerting some reverse force and helping soften the fall. Damage: Scratched my left mirror and very very light "Ducati dent" on the left side (you can feel it more than you can see it, I really got lucky here), also bent my shift lever inward slightly.

The second time, I was coming down my driveway (it's on a really steep incline) and as I pulled up to the garage and stopped it (I usually go inside to open the garage door) I totally forgot to kill the engine before letting go of the clutch. The bike instantly went down. Again, I stopped it as much as I could from hitting the ground but these things get infinitely heavy as they're going down. Damage: Hit the aftermarket mirror again (I want to replace them eventually anyways with some lane splitters), light scratch on the tank (I don't know what caused it and only noticed it the next day) and that Duc dent i mentioned before got slightly deeper (about the size of a finger print but still nothing compared to your typical Ducati dent). The shift lever got more inward as well (sort of the same as the above pic but maybe not as much.)

So both those falls came from my own silliness - I'm just glad the damage was minimal - maybe they came from me getting more comfortable with the bike, but I have learned my lesson to always stay alert. And yes, maybe I will make frame sliders higher up on my list, too.

As for the two above, let us know how the repairs go, where you ordered the parts, and your progress.

Stay safe, and keep ridin'. Cheers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As for the two above, let us know how the repairs go, where you ordered the parts, and your progress.

Stay safe, and keep ridin'. Cheers.
OK, bike is fully repaired now, here is what I did:

Bent shifter: bent it back :), put it in a vise, heated it with a torch, and bent it back. Looks great.
Broken clutch lever: Replaced w/ another OEM clutch lever (found on Craigslist)
Broken mirror: Replaced with Rizoma Retro mirrors (found on Ebay)

I also installed some Speedymoto sliders. I can live with the other scrapes.

All in all, I feel much more comfortable on the bike knowing I can fix it if it falls over, not the end of the world. And I LOVE the new mirrors, gets rid of the big stalks in front of you and changes the look of the bike completely.

I need to take some new pics of the repairs so you can see for yourself.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Nice!

But hold up. Where did you get the Speedymoto sliders? I've been calling my local shop all the time and they never have them. One of the shops say they're thinking of switching brands because Speedymoto is so behind on their shipments. I think I tried contacting them directly previously.

Nice idea on the blowtorch idea. If I tried to bend back my clutch lever and it snapped it would be the end of me riding for atleast a few days while I get the new part. Haven't been that adventurous yet but I may try it. (Then again, it's current position doesn't bother me all that much.)

Look forward to seeing the pics.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice!

But hold up. Where did you get the Speedymoto sliders? I've been calling my local shop all the time and they never have them. One of the shops say they're thinking of switching brands because Speedymoto is so behind on their shipments. I think I tried contacting them directly previously.
My local shop (Ducati Newport Beach) had the sliders in stock, and I had them do the install. I'm sure you can find some by mail order if you are willing to install them yourself or if your shop will let you bring your own parts and have them install.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts