Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been a member here long, only since the 25th of June. I check in pretty much every day and try to post when ever I think my 2 cents might be worth 2 cents. I've managed to post over 50 messages and not one has ever been about my experience on a monster. Thats because up until yesterday, I had never ridden one. So get ready, I'm about to enter uncharted territory and post a thread about what it was like to ride a monster for the first time.

This is a photo of the monster I rode yesterday. It's a 2001 m 750. Everything is still stock and it still looks brand new. It should, it only has 1,750 miles on it. That's my bike in back, a 1991 honda nighthawk or CB750, it has about 31,500 miles on it.

First and most obvious difference is noticed when you sit on the bike. I has a much more aggressive riding position. The second is noticed when you start it up. I had a much deeper growl. That I expected. What I didn't expect is that it also vibrates a lot more than my other bike. It's not uncomfortably however I did notice that it was hard to use the mirrors because of it. They vibrated so much that every thing in them was a blur. I guess that must be why so may people replace them. The next thing I noticed was how the clutch lever had so much snap to it. I'm not use to it being spring loaded like that. I'm not sure if it really is, it just felt like it. Then there is the whole rpm issue. It is much more difficult to take off smoothly at a slow speed although I think I could get use to it. As for how it rides, one thing I didn't expect is how much "engine drag" there is. Not sure if that's the best word to describe it, what I mean is that is seemed like I put on the brakes the first time I got off the gas. That was a little unexpected. Then there is the real brakes. The dual Brembo's in the front have far superior power than what ever are on my bike. I was coming into the first corner a little hot, (well probably not to hot for the monster, but to hot for me and my first ride on one) anyway I got into the front brake a little hard and I thought I was going to stoppie my face into the ground. I doubt the back wheel actually came up, but it did make my heart stop. I really wasn't expecting that kind of breaking power. As for the back breaks, they didn't seem to do a whole lot without help from the front. I did get a chance to go down a nice little windy road along the river and I have to say that monster handled it nicely. I was being extra cautious but I feel like I took some of the corners at a respectable speed. On the way back I tried to push it a little more to see what kind of power she had. Definitely more than the nighthawk but not too much. I kept waiting for the front wheel to come up but it never did. I've read about several people having that happen to them unexpectedly, so I wanted to be ready to put it down if it did. Never happened though, maybe I just wasn't getting into it as hard as I thought. O' well. On the way back I did notice that my elbows and wrists were a little sore after only 15 min or so. Not sure what I think about that. Could be because I wasn't relaxed enough when I road it, or could be just because I wasn't use to sitting forward so much. All in all, it was a great experience. Thanks for reading. I hope someone finds my experience helpful, or at least interesting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've never owned a motorcycle other than my Monster, so I cannot compare it to others. I have had friends, however, that have tried it and they ALL comment on how harsh the engine braking is (letting off the gas and letting the engine brake). I take it that other bikes don't have this as much?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
you should have spiced it up with a tale of evading the police, or picking up Cindy Crawford when her car broke down on the side of the road.
Otherwise good story. Just wait until you really get comfortable with it. The more you ride, the more enjoyable it gets-in my opinion. Congrats! ;D
I forgot to add that I love the engine braking- ESPECIALLY in tunnels or going through and over pass. That sound is S-W-E-E-T!!!!!! 8)

·
Registered
206 Posts
nice! glad you had fun on the monster. i am ex-owner of a 1985 nighthawk 700S -fun bike none the less. the v-twin is a different animal - the power is consistent as opposed to the i-4 that screams above 6grand.

re: front wheel up...trust me, it will come up. as my housemate just emailed to our riding group:

'who would have thought that whacking open the throttle on a Ducati 900 from a dead stop, with high bars, sitting bolt upright would cause it to actually wheelie?'

errrr....not me.

honda good, monster better.

cheers!
steve

M

·
0 Posts
Nice story...

I think there was an article actually on the Duc website that talks about the comparison between Japanese bikes and the Ducatis - In it, the article mentions how engine control or braking is one example of how the Desmo system is distinguished from their Japanese counterparts. I not sure the mechanics of it but I find it useful when downshifting through corners and essess (don't have to use the brakes as much)

I noted you mentioned excessive vibration in your mirrors... I usually don't get this until I'm up to freeway speeds on the superslab (suspension settings maybe?)

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Suspension is actally one thing I forgot to comment on. It was much stiffer than my bike. I could really feel the road under me. I assumed that was how it was surpose to be. I've never ridden another monster or sport bike for that matter, so I don't have any thing other than my bike to compair it to.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
I too came from the '91 CB250 and my reaction was exactly the same: how the **** do you ride this thing? Monster is very different from anything I've ridden before and does take some (a lot?) time to get used to. Poor turn-in, tall gearing and high-revving engine make it a tough transition from your standard "plush" rice burner. But once you get used to it, I'm sure there'll be no other bike for you. It's either "take it or leave it" situation with Monster. After all, it's called Monster for a reason.
So if you're going to buy one, make sure you have all the time in the world to get used to it. Be careful, ride safe, enjoy it!

Dimitri
'99 M750

1 - 7 of 7 Posts