Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later...

On my way to work this AM my 620 stared feeling weird... kinda like I was riding on ice.
At first I thought it was the road surface, but I wasn't sure. So, I pulled over and checked it out and discovered my rear tire was slowly losing air. I was in the middle of nowhere, with no cell service! So, I made the decision to ride a little further and check it again. So, I road another mile and checked it again. It was the same so I kept going. Work was only another 2 miles away! I can make it!! Well, that was the longest 2 miles... & I made it safely.

Now what to do? I'm thinking of calling roadside. Am I crazy to think they'll send someone from the local duc dealer and take the tire to be replaced?
Another probablly more realistic solution is to bring my center stand to work tommorrow and have one of the guys pull the tire for me and I take it to the local duc dealer to get replaced.

All I know is this sucks :'(

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
If I were you I would call the local ducati dealer and see what they can do for you. 2 weeks ago some idiot dropped my bike and left it on the gorund :mad: It bent the linkage and it would not shift passed 2nd gear. It also caused other cosmetic damages. I called Modesto Ducati which is where I bought the bike and in an hour and a half they were at my job to pick up the bike. They are about an hour 15 min from my work. So I was super amazed that they would jump on it so quick. That same night they fixed everything on it and I had it ready for me the next morning.

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
Think you could fill the tire with air and ride it to mech to get the tire switched? From your story it didn't sound like it was losing air all that fast.

Justin

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Actually A.Duc H.Duc has a good point. If the duc dealer is no help you can always drive it to them or another local shop. I know that when I had a bike with inertube and got a flat I bought some pressure/foam stuff that lifted the tire very well and allowed me to drive it for a whole day and to the shop the next day. I dont know if this stuff will work for tubeless tires. It might not be a godd Idea becasue it will get all over the inside of the rim. Does anybody know if this is a good idea?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a rear flat, ran it home good and hot, with less no measurable pressure when i got home.
patched it with some of those sticky strings, aired it back up to 36 psi, and ran that rear tire 2000 more miles, no problems. I now carry a very compact sticky string repair kit on the bike.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i ended up calling roadside...
They just took my bike to Gengras Ducati in Hartford, CT

now the scarey part...
$300 for a new rear tire!
OMG!

Pirelli Diablo

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
now the scarey part...
$300 for a new rear tire!
OMG!
I got yet another nail (this makes the 3rd) in my rear tire last week. Local Duc dealer quoted $200 for a rear when buying both F/R. Did some looking around and http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com has ALOT of tires on sale. 160/60-17 rear Pirelli Diablo $99. Spend $100 and it's free shipping (tires add handling of $10 though). I got a 120 front and 160 rear shipped for $190. Makes me wanna buy a spare to keep around.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
i have had several flats never in the front cant imagine it would be good the worst one was when i mounted the tire that morning and not fifty miles from home i got a huge industrial staple put two holes in the tire, I was fortunate enough to be in an area where a harley slash used bike dealership had time and a exact replacement tire, cost me nearly $300 to fix but i finished my days riding

·
Registered
126 Posts
Plug kit has worked for me in the past. Also, some friends carry sheet metal screws & just screw in the hole. Gets them to the end of the day. The trick is don't pull the object out of the tire until you have the fix planned.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
scoprire said:
I got yet another nail (this makes the 3rd) in my rear tire last week. Local Duc dealer quoted $200 for a rear when buying both F/R. Did some looking around and http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com has ALOT of tires on sale. 160/60-17 rear Pirelli Diablo $99. Spend $100 and it's free shipping (tires add handling of $10 though). I got a 120 front and 160 rear shipped for $190. Makes me wanna buy a spare to keep around.
hmmmm....
will you dealer mount a tire NOT purchased from them?

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
DuCaTiNi said:
hmmmm....
will you dealer mount a tire NOT purchased from them?
Varies from dealer to dealer. Only one shop out of 5 in my town will mount tires not bought from them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts