Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everybody. I'm new to this, so if I make a faux pax, please forgive me. Be assured it will not be intentional.

I purchased my first Ducati (a red '04 M1000s.i.e.) on Saturday; I'm picking it up on Tuesday. Here are some of the mods I intend to make ASAP:

1. Napoleon bar end mirrors
2. SiL Motor Short CF or titanium round cannister high mount slip ons

Eventually, I would like to get a set of solo foot pegs and clip-on style handle bars. I like some mags, but the dollars are not in the pipeline anywhere in the near future.

If any of you good people know of any reason I should not get Napoleon mirros or the SiL's, I would appreciate hearing it, and I'd like to hear suggestions for the solo pegs and clip-ons.

Thanks in advance.

R

·
0 Posts
Congrats on the purchase!

My only comments are on the clip on issue.

I like the way Monsters look with clip ons, I think they give the bike a much more aggressive look -- almost a muscular appearance.

Looks are only part of the equation, though. I'll never swap out my stock handlebars for clip ons because while it might look cool, my back and wrists wouldn't be very happy with me.. given the choice between style and comfort, I'll take comfort any day.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
love my napoleons. i have low mounts so i can use bags, but to me, high mounts look better. this summer, i will either have clip-ons or a new monster.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I've had nothing but good times with my Napoleans, but I'm considering replacing them with some smaller CNC mirrors next spring. I just like the look of the smaller mirrors better. Plus it'll be easier to get the bike in and out of the garage without banging the mirrors into anything. :)

-dj

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
The Napolean mirrors are the most functional without a doubt. I ran them for a while but could not get used to the look, so I ran the 3rd eye cheapie mirror and now just ordered a CRG.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
The sound will add to your enjoyment of your Monster.

Stock mirrors are useless. Good aftermarkets are a must and you picked good ones that look great too.

Both changes add a lot to your bike. Enjoy.

Doc

M

·
0 Posts
I've got sil hi mounts, short cans look killer. Sil Motors has some quality issues but if you able to inspect the pipes before you buy you should be okay.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Spend too much $$$$? Ha, ha. Good one.

I, unfortunately, will not be able to inspect the SiL's prior to the purchase. I can only hope Motowheels sends me good ones. No reason, however, to expect otherwise from what I heard about them.

As for the Napoleon's, from what I gather they are not the most "cool" looking but seem to be the most functional. Am I going down the road to geek-dom? Should I get the chrome-chrome or the black-chrome? I've never seen either.

You would not believe my energy level now. I'm picking the bike up tomorrow after a short bus ride from Sacramento to San Francisco. I guess I'll be on a Greyhound with all the other people that are going to pick up their Duc's. The ticket is a whopping $14. Never been on a Monster (whilst moving); never been on a Greyhound. Whoopee!!!!

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
I didn't like the Napolean bar end mirrors. I found that they stuck out too much while splitting lanes. Enjoy the new ride!

·
Registered
447 Posts
I tried the 3rd eye mirrors. I hated them. They were extremely hard to adjust to the perfect sighting position and they moved too easily. I got these now

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=296

They are easy to adjust and lock in place tightly. They give an excellent field of vision. I like that they are higher than the bar ends; I could never get used to looking down so low.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the input. Really appreciate the advice on the mirrors and cans. However, these two items are back-burnered until I actually see my choices up front and personal-like.

What I'm most concerned with right now is how to ride the bike back from San Francisco to Sacramento (probably up the river road). Questions are: how many revs; should I go up over Grizzly Peak and down to 24; or 80 to 4, etc. If I go up to Grizzly Peak, going there means going up some pretty steep hills, albeit slowly. Is this a good thing? Maybe the Golden Gate and over past Sears Point/Napa/Deer Valley, etc. I've heard keep it under 5,000 rpm. What about whilst going uphill/downhill? And, finally, GMAC quoted me somewhere around $256/half year. And this is for my 3rd insured bike to be "pleasure driven" only. Seems steep.

I'll be at Munroe's at noon; anybody want to join me for a ride back to Sacto, just look for the guy with the "deer-in-the-headlight" look on his face.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Check out the break-in page on the DML FAQ here. You'll find answers to some of your questions as well as many helpful break-in tips.

Enjoy your ride home and be safe!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jiro,

Thanks for the lead. I didn't realize there was so much more info on this board. This is great. Just what I needed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts