Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

Question about my dry clutch. Last weekend I was washing my bike outside and I sprayed water inside the whole dry clutch area. I washed it pretty good with a lot of water in there. Probably some car soap as well.

Then I put the bike up for the week. I was busy all week so I didn't have a chance to ride it. Yesterday I pulled the bike out and road it all day and today to.

It's making a really funny farting typed noise when I disengage the clutch to pull away in 1st gear. It's loud and it really has that "Brommmpt" sound. It's coming from the clutch plate area. I've been riding it all weekend but the noise is still there. The noise doesn't happen all the time, but enough times for me to wonder if perhaps the water rusted something inside or perhaps there is a plate sticking inside as a result.

I know that when I ride in the rain that some water probably gets in there but certainly not as much as I squirted in there last weekend.

My question is, do you all think it's coincidence that I'm getting this sound now or do you think that I shouldn't have sprayed water (and maybe) soap inside there.

What do you all think?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
after you soap and watered your clutch.....did you tip the bike over a bit to drain it out...or go riding?...or did you wash the bike and dry it pretty much put it away?....

when you ride in the rain...the hot clutch pretty much turns alot of the water into steam or quickly evaporates it in any case....but nothing sits in there...so that wouldn't give you a lasting effect of anykind....at least...nowhere near to being like this!

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Remove the plates, clean up the steel plates with a scothbrite wheel. Reassemble. Voila............noise gone.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tipped the bike and seemingly drained the water. I then started the bike and let it run for a few minutes as well.

I can take the plates out, no problem. But what's a "scotchbright wheel"? :) I know what sotchbright is, but is this a nylon mesh type of mild scrubbing wheel that attaches to a standard rotary drill? If so, can I get this at a regular auto parts store or Home Depot?

You think the water somehow " glazed " the plates? That's kinda what I'm thinking. By using the scotchbright pad, I'm assuming you mean to take off that glaze and re-scruff the plates. Yes?

And you're saying JUST the steel plates and not the actual clutch plates right?

In your opinion, what you think happened?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Thumper said:
I tipped the bike and seemingly drained the water. I then started the bike and let it run for a few minutes as well.

I can take the plates out, no problem. But what's a "scotchbright wheel"? :) I know what sotchbright is, but is this a nylon mesh type of mild scrubbing wheel that attaches to a standard rotary drill? If so, can I get this at a regular auto parts store or Home Depot?

You think the water somehow " glazed " the plates? That's kinda what I'm thinking. By using the scotchbright pad, I'm assuming you mean to take off that glaze and re-scruff the plates. Yes?

And you're saying JUST the steel plates and not the actual clutch plates right?

In your opinion, what you think happened?

Thanks,

Tom
3M makes an arbor that holds a scotcbrite disc. You can probably get the set up at the chain auto parts stores.

I believe you got a bunch of rust in there and that rust glazed the steel plates.

Yes, just the steels. Make sure you put them back in the same order and facing in the same direction. At least one is beveled(dished). It can be identified by a punch mark. It can be hard to see.

My dry cluth did the same thing, but it was from the tabs on the friction plates leaving little shards of metal in the stack as they pounded themselves to death on the basket. I did this routine and it workrd fine.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
even though you start the bike... whenever you wash it, make sure you go for 2 mile ride or so afterwards to make sure everything is ok, and water gets out of where it shouldnt be.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay great. Thanks a ton!!!

I'm going to pull it apart and clean it tonight. I'll take each plate of and inspect/clean it and stack it on the floor upside down in the same order. I'll also mark the outside pressure plate so that goes back in correctly.

I'll do this tonight and let you know what I find when I pull it all apart.

Thanks........big help!!!

Have a great Monday (hey, isn't that an oxymoron?)

Tom

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ducpainter said:
Remove the plates, clean up the steel plates with a scothbrite wheel. Reassemble. Voila............noise gone.
Duc,

Anyone ever tell you how smart you are?

It took me about 20 minutes to remove all the plates. I kept them in the same order and stacked them on the floor. I then started putting them back in and hand brushing each steel plate with a scotch pad. I didn't even need the drill. There wasn't really any detectable rust on the plates.

You know what plates DID seem rusty? The two all the way at the very back. There are two steel plates together. They seemed the worst. I polished them up pretty nice and put everything back.

And you're right, one of the center steel plates is beveled. This one seemed the shiniest but does have a noticeable punch mark on it.

After I finished assembling everything, I took it out and did about 20 or so 1st gear launches from a stop.............not a peep.

Thanks for the info and the help. De' bike eh fart eh no more :)

Oh, and that's the last time I spray water up in there like that. Lesson learned.

Tom

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Thumper said:
Duc,

Anyone ever tell you how smart you are?

<snip>
Tom
In all seriousness you are the first.

Glad it worked for you. Call back when it has about 20K on it and it starts again. I have another trick up my sleeve. ;)

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Duc,

Good morning.

Will the clutch plates last that long?

I just took the bike to work and it ran smooth and quiet. Nice.

I'm wondering now if water really got inside there. It seems pretty back inside the basket. Maybe it was just coincidence. I did see a bunch of glaze, but not really "rust" per say.

You think I'll get 20K miles out of these plates?

Thanks and have a great day,

Tom

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Thumper said:
Will the clutch plates last that long?
You think I'll get 20K miles out of these plates?
I am at almost 22K with my stock plates and disks....the question sometimes isn't so much if the plates and disks will last...but if the basket will with the tangs of the plates beating the mess out of em I'd think....but I am looking to doing basket,plates,disks,pressure plate(bling one most likely) when I get to the point of needing a new clutch all together......

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, that's great that they last that long.

As far as the basket? I've never known anyone to ever change a basket before. Although I am fairly new to dry clutches, if my basket goes then that would certainly be a first for me and everyone I know.

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Thumper said:
Wow, that's great that they last that long.

As far as the basket? I've never known anyone to ever change a basket before. Although I am fairly new to dry clutches, if my basket goes then that would certainly be a first for me and everyone I know.

Thanks,

Tom
it isn't soo much the basket will be gone....but the tangs make their own distinctive marking on the basket...making it not so good for new plates and disks to operate exactly as they could or make weird sounds as they are not quite banging into not quite the same groove....also...FWIW....if you compare a new clutch basket and your old worn one...you'll be amazed and want to replace it just based on that visual inspection anyway.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And that's not always a bad thing. Normally, replacement of such items comes with a nice upgrade in color and/or design. I'm thinking......red? :)

I only have 3K miles on my new bike so I think I've got a few miles to go :)

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:mad:

Okay, took my bike to work and it ran smooth all the way there.

On the way home tonight, the farting started again. I listened closely and ya' know.....it really sounds as if it's coming from the front end somewhere. Only when you fully brake to a stop, then take off. That's the only time it make this low pitched honk or squeel. Perhaps the brake pad sticking to the rotor? I just don't think it's the clutch anymore. I cleaned the clutch and it wasn't noticeably rusty when I did clean it.

I'm thinking it's coming from the front brakes, perhaps.

All I can do, I think, at this time is wait until it breaks. If I take it to the dealer, they'll ride it and it wont happen and they'll come back and say "sounds okay to me". It's one of those things that doesn't happen all the time. But when it does, it's freakin' loud as hell.

I don't know what to do. I think I'll just wait until it breaks. Or, until it becomes bad enough that it's happening every single time. Then, I can take it to the dealer knowing that he'll definetaly hear it.

But, right now would only be a waste of my time. :(

Tom

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Problem rectified.

The last time, I did not use a power drill to get ALL the tarnish off. I power drilled/scrubbed it last night until the plates shined and now it's running better than new.

Tom

1 - 16 of 16 Posts