Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Smilodon here, long time motorcyclist, first time Ducati owner (Monster 1200S Stripe)…

So, I know you get a ton of Ducati behavioral questions, but bear with me. I’m not asking to throw stones, as I’m quite happy with the bike. I just want to make sure I’m on the right wavelength with how it is working.

I’m mostly trying to understand the powerband. I come from a four-cylinder world, and this is my first big V-twin (I did have a V-Four once though!). Anyhow, considering that *each cylinder* is the size of my 4-Cylinder track bike, and all the magazine talk about “low down grunt” when talking about big twins (admittedly usually cruisers), I expected it to putt around at just above idle with no problem.

However, the usable powerband (RPM-wise) seems similar to other (4 cylinder) bikes I own. Lots of sputtering and bucking below 3000 RPM and a “flat spot” at around 3300-3400 RPM. The “flat spot” is usually the “emissions testing RPM” on my other bikes, so that doesn’t surprise me. But, the “below 3000 RPM” one did a bit.

Is the “below 3000 RPM” issue just normal and how this bike is tuned? If not, is it a “break-in” thing (IE gets better with mileage)? I’m assuming it is just how it is tuned (more mid-range and top end), but thought it was worth asking.

On my other bikes, the “flat spot” issue could be tuned out. Would a fuel tuner (power commander, Bazzaz, RapidBike) help either or both of these issues in people’s experience?

I’m assuming this applies to any recent water-cooled Ducati motor, but I know they are marketing the new Diavel X as a cruiser, so wondering if they have done anything there (gearing with the belt drive?).

·
Registered
498 Posts
I tested a Suzuki Bandit that was great in the low RPM's (Traffic). However, it never made me smile the way my bike does. it was kinda boring and tame all over.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the confirming feedback all. Not a surprise, just checking. Seems kind of odd to have to keep an engine with such a large capacity "on the boil" so much, but a fair trade off for all the power and torque. As long as it likes the revs, I'm more than happy to oblige! (within appropriate parameters of course)

I've heard some good things about working out the low-end "emissions" fueling using an add-on fuel management system, and I may look into those (around about the same time as I get a full exhaust system). But, I (and my wallet) can enjoy what I have now with no problems until that day comes.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yeah...all my HD's were happy cruising at 2500, much below that and you're lugging the motor.

All my Ducs have been happiest above 4000 RPM.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have the full Termi system and ECU that goes with it. Doesn't change a noticeable (to me) thing re revs and torque.

As others have said, it is not happy to accelerate at all below 4,000 RPM.

I did change the rear sprocket (2 teeth) which allows me better get away from stop and low speed corners (street intersections) and yes, it does affect top speed, but I'm not going to track it so didn't care.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thats exactly how my bike runs. Thats why they suck in traffic.
^^^That.

The first few times I rode my 796, I had problems with it... coming off a Japanese I-4 liter bike I just wasn't prepared to keep the Duc revving above 3500 at least, no matter what. Now that we understand each other, it's all OK.

The gearing is definitely too tall for city work... I have a 14T sprocket that will go in when I get a chance, and I'll regear it completely when I replace the chain, when that time comes.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Ducati's are happy above 3k rpm. They don't like to chug along. You have to keep the revs up a bit. Urban mode helps with slower riding at lower RPM's.
In Traffic or short rides between stoplights, this is the solution. In "sport mode" it is annoying as hell below 3,500. It's easy enough to switch up to sport mode when you have the clear road ahead of you.

·
Registered
543 Posts
In Traffic or short rides between stoplights, this is the solution. In "sport mode" it is annoying as hell below 3,500. It's easy enough to switch up to sport mode when you have the clear road ahead of you.
This is a subjective comment and should be considered as opinion. As with many opinions some might agree with it, but some might not.

Speaking strictly for myself, after the break in was completed I switched to Sport Mode and use it all of the time, and I am annoyance adverse. :wink

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't mind a little learning curve getting used to a particular bike. Of course, with modern technology, the bike can adapt to me a little bit too.

The tach on my old GSX-R 750 doesn't even register below 3000 RPM! That, and it has a dry clutch who's bite point changes as the mood takes it. It is a skill to ride that smoothly, and no magic electronic buttons to adjust it.

The Monster shows how far "rough edged" has progressed.

·
Registered
498 Posts
This is a subjective comment and should be considered as opinion. As with many opinions some might agree with it, but some might not.

Speaking strictly for myself, after the break in was completed I switched to Sport Mode and use it all of the time, and I am annoyance adverse.
I agree I used to switch modes but once you get used to the throttle it becomes annoying to not get the response you get used to in sport mode. I did bump up my abs and traction control for sport and just never switch it.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts

Speaking strictly for myself, after the break in was completed I switched to Sport Mode and use it all of the time, and I am annoyance adverse. :wink

Yes it was my opinion based on mu experiences with my monster as is your's and pretty much 100% of what is on any board

·
Registered
532 Posts
Don't discount the very light flywheel and the lack of flywheel effect to keep things a-turnin'. It is a factor in how relatively easy this bike can be to stall as well. The flywheel is light so the bike will spin up quickly. Unfortunately, it means you kinda have to spin it up to keep it moving smoothly. If only I could trade flywheels between the Sportster and the Monster, I'd have perfect power characteristics...well, maybe not..:wink

·
Registered
778 Posts
My 01 M900Sie used to be the same way. I had to ride above 5,000 rpm or risk getting bucked off the bike when leaving my neighborhood.
But I added a wide band O2 bung on each cylinder, used ScanST and Innovate's LC-2 wide band controller to collect data. I then had Punch process the data and send me a new map, tested more, more maps and now the bike will cruise at 3,000 rpm smooth as a baby's butt yet run like a cat with it's tail on fire when I twist it. Went to the mountains of north Georgia last weekend and I had a smile on my face the entire time. And averaged 44 miles per gallon.
If you're under warranty, live with what you have but when you're ready to fix what Ducati gives us get in touch with Punch over at Ducati.MS.
He can fix your bike so it runs like a Ducati should.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The only Ducati I've ridden that's happy below 3k RPMs is the new DVT motor in the Multistrada and xDiavel.
Yeah, I was wondering how much fun that behavior would be on a cruiser (or a touring-oriented bike for that matter). Presumably that is why they went to variable valve timing on those models.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Low rpm is relative. You have a low revving Harley revving happily at 2500 rpm where the redline is only 5-6k. thats about mid rpm range. Then you have your high revving Ducati redline at 11k. 4000rpm is considered low where 5-6k is mid.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts