Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've researched the Garmin Zumo 660 - here in Australia you are looking at the best part of a thousand dollars!! My cheap solution:

An old car GPS (Garmin Nuvi 310) and some velcro. Sure it isn't powered, but I only need a GPS very occasionally and it does have a battery.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
What I run on my enduro is a Garmin 2610(all of the 26xx and 27xx series would work well for this.) and a RAM mount. The GPS is like $40 used and the ram mount is about $25 or so. I know the 26xx series is water-resistant, and it's been used all day in downpours and stream crossings.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I use my Nuvi in a small tank bag that fits on my 696. I even rigged a power source for the Nuvi using the lead for the battery tender, so I don't have to rely upon the Nuvi's internal battery for a power source.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cheap GPS Solution

Can someone with a V5 download the Microsoft Streets & Trips 2009 demo and see if it recognizes the GPS without problems? This is the software I plan on using when my V5 arrives in a couple of weeks. I would really appreciate it.

buy a bikini

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
I put a map of where I'm going in a plastic bag and then duct tape it to the top of my tank.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
I put a map of where I'm going in a plastic bag and then duct tape it to the top of my tank.
I stare at a map of directions for where I need to go for about three minutes and burn the information into my memory. Then I print it out and put it in my pocket.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How many miles have you logged with the velcro strap mount? Have you had any issues with it shifting or starting to come lose?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not very many, I haven't really needed it much. The one time it would have been useful my wife took it in her car so I resorted to looking at a map and riding around in circles. The rest of the time I commute to work and know he route.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
RAM mount with my Magellan 2200T GPS (waterproof).

The RAM mount is rock solid, when you remove the arm, you barely notice anything is there (just the black ball). For the price, it removes any worry about it flying off the bike (unless, like me, you don't clip it in right :p ). On the other hand, the Magellan 2200T can handle a fall at 50 miles per hour and being driven over by a few cars and still works... kind of like a Timex! :)

It also puts the GPS in your line of sight, so you don't have to look down or otherwise take your eyes off the road. When I leave the bike, I simply unclip the GPS and take it with me. If I am not using it for a while, I take off the arm and the GPS it is clean.

BTW - Even if its not mounted behind a windscreen, the RAM mount is rock solid at high speeds....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts