Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is another item I thought people might find interesting. It is my homebrew bike work table. I made it out of scrap lumber and four swivelling casters from the hardware store ($40). It measures 7'7" long, 2' wide, 27" tall. It fits underneath my work bench when not in use (doubling as a shelf), where it will spend very little time as my three bikes all need attention of some sort. It is rock solid, and makes working on a bike much nicer, plus it can be wheeled out of the way to make room in the shop. Try that with your normal half-disassembled bike! I've considered building a wheel chock like the expensive bike stands have, but so far it seems like it would just be in the way. The two eye-bolts with tie-downs are very solid and out of the way.

Hope you all find this interesting.

Matt in SF

Attachments

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
nice!
do you just use a bike ramp to get it up there?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I used a left over scaffolding plank for a ramp. It was not very safe doing it alone, I would recommend a helper or a good way to stand next to the machine while you get it up there. I ran the bike up in 1st gear, slowly walking next to it. Same way I got this one in the house.

Matt

Attachments

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Now that's where a bike like that should be stored when it isn't being ridden!! Not in some garage where you hardly see it....

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Any problem with the stand rolling while you're putting the bike up on it?

BTW, that's love when you can put the bike in the living room window on a nice hardwood floor. You don't even want to see the looks I get when I mention something like that.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Hey, it's sunny outside in that picture. Shouldn't you be on that bike... :)

Very nice work bench!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, the table did not move with the casters locked and turned sideways, though I was concerned! Next time I'll put some non-slip stuff on the ramp as well, since the rear wheel started to spin on the ramp as it reached the top. I plan on making some sort of positive fit for the ramp, like pins or something so it can't move as I'm getting it up there.

Oh, and it was her idea to put the bike in the living room, and yes, I am marrying her!

Matt in SF

1 - 10 of 10 Posts