Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was adjusting the chain tension on the sidewalk in front of my house this morning. I just tightened everything up and was rolling the bike back and forth to move the cain around so I could measure it one last time before taking it for a test ride. At this same moment an older couple walked by on the sidewalk and started talking to my 3 yr old daughter and looking at my bike. (Judging by their clothes, they were probably a couple HD riders.) I looked up to say hi as I set the bike on it's side stand and before I knew it it was falling over on me. I was still standing next to the bike so I caught most of the fall with my leg and by grabbing back onto the bars but my knee did put a good size dent in the tank. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( The guy quickly helped me stand the bike back up and asked If I was all right. I was, just badly hurt on the inside. when I saw what an innocent mistake had done to my beautiful baby. After examining the situation I realized that I must have set the side stand rite in a crack between two sections of the sidewalk. I'm so sad rite now I feel like I could cry. My bike didn't have a spot on it before this. I'll post a pic on Monday when I get to work.

UPDATE:
Go to my last post in this thread to read about some of the unconventional methods I plan to use to fix the tank myself.

T

·
0 Posts
Re: My bike fell on me

Michael...sorry to her of your misfortune. I suspect the ego bruise is worse than the tank briuse.

Regardless, Norm can make it better ;). $200.00 for tankrepair, $20.00 for decals, $150.00 for the color of your choice.

L

·
0 Posts

I am sorry to hear about your little incident :'(

I hope your Duc recovers quickly

M

·
0 Posts

Michael, I feel your pain. Once while on my Ninja, I was running errands, and my last stop of the day was the grocery store. Now I want to mention, that all day long, I felt "off". I can only describe it as my mind wasn't focusing on riding, I kept having to refocus my attention to riding all day. Well, I pulled out of my parking space and attempted to take a low speed left hand turn, and that's when it happened. I dumped it mid turn. For a few moments, I was in a state of shock, then fury began to build (towards myself) and I wanted to kick the seat of my bike and cuss like a sailor, but I felt that people were looking at me, and sure enough, three Girl Scouts selling cookies outside the store were staring wide-eyed at me. Not being able to release that fury about killed me, but I picked the bike up and limped it (couldn't shift it, the shift lever was bent inward) over to a vacant spot. Called my husband, he came and bent the shift lever back. No fairing damage, just a bent clutch lever, scraped bar end, scraped left turn signal, and damaged pride.

I can only say to you, it's better that you dumped it rather than crashed it.

Miki

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts

If dent is not on a crease, you can usually pop it back out. You have to remove filler cap assembly and use something to pop it out with.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts

that is such a sad tale. tomorrow, when you feel better, try Troyslap's idea. if your knee survived, the dent should push out as long as you can get to it.

J

·
0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your misfortune :'( I know how you feel i'm still recovering from a woman backing over my bike two weeks ago!
JJ

·
Registered
599 Posts

JJ, a woman backed over your bike? Holy crap! What happened? Your insurance is going to pick up the tab right?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts

sorry to hear the bad news, JJ. hopefuly HER insurance is picking up the tab. my bike and myself almost got backed over by a commercial van. beeping the horn and beating on the back door of the van prevented the tragedy.

N

·
0 Posts

Yeah I dumped mine the other day at DMV wasn't even moving turned around stopped put my foot down and bike went down, guess I wanst balanced or something not sure Im kinda new, but Didn't get any "Tank Truama" just busted the end of my brake lever off... :-[ :'( :'( :'(

Still feel your pain, I rode right home and stared at it for about 30 mins before I went inside..ehhe best to ya!!

Nif

A

·
0 Posts

I almost dropped my bike in front of Wal-Mart the other day. I swung my leg over the bike and my foot slipped out because of that clear-coating sh*t they put on the cement!

That is the second time I almost lost it there! I don't know how I saved it but it is those stupid little mistakes that can cost you a BUNCH of money and tear you up on the inside!

·
Registered
346 Posts

Yeah I dumped mine the other day at DMV wasn't even moving turned around stopped put my foot down and bike went down, guess I wanst balanced or something not sure Im kinda new, but Didn't get any "Tank Truama" just busted the end of my brake lever off...
Same here. I had just lubed the chain, and was putting the bike back on her parking spot when my neighbour walked into the garage and starting talking. Sure enough, I got distracted, put the bike down, apparently not stable and dropped her. Snapped the end of my brake lever clear off...
Luckily I had a spare one.

Stupid things happen. Too bad to hear about the dent, Michael!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

If dent is not on a crease, you can usually pop it back out. You have to remove filler cap assembly and use something to pop it out with.
Unfortunately the dent overlaps the crease just slightly, so I don't know how easy the fix will be.

We're getting thunder storms today so I didn't ride to work but I'll run home on my lunch break and take a couple pics. I really want some of you to see the dent and let me know if you think it can be popped out without repainting the tank.

I still can't get over it. I'm usually so careful about the side stand. I'd heard so many stories of bikes falling over from others that I was determined not to let it happen to me. I guess it doesn't matter how careful you are Sh!t happens.

On the positive side. It still runs good.

F

·
0 Posts

I hope the paint did not crack around the dent. I've heard of guys using air pressure to pop simple dents out. You can call a local auto dealer and find out who they use for dent repair on their auto lot. In the south we get hail damage and they can usually just work the dents out by hand if they are not too many or too severe. Crazy ... you'd never know it was ever dented.

·
Registered
668 Posts

Do not worry too much,
sheit happens, cannot avoid that.

Start laughing at it , and it will pass...

Skier

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts

If you want to send me some pics, I'll give you my opinion, but I've never seen a paintless dent repair work on a monster tank.

J

·
0 Posts

I was visiting a friend at Starbucks showing off my new Arrow high carbon pipes, which i had installed two days earlier. I backed my bike up to the curb and went inside, about a minute later as i'm still waiting in line to order coffee a woman comes in and taps me on the shoulder and says "sir is that your motorcycle outside", i politely said "yes it is." " Well sir i'm very sorry but I just backed over it" this woman was in her car watching me back my bike up to the curb just a minute ago, she took the whole left side out! luckily no tank damage!(sorry mike) her insurance is paying for everything and then some!
JJ

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I ran home and snapped some pics. What do you guys think? Can she be fixed without repainting her?

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts

Sorry, but that's going to need to be pulled & repainted. Don't forget to "b*tch slap" your bike for attacking you like that!!

·
Premium Member
862 Posts

holy smokes! your knee did that? you must have extra-reinforced bones or something...

sorry about the damage, I know what it feels like. I hate dings and dents...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts