Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... in order to do the tailchop... you need a tail light bracket, and a license plate bracket.......

For the tail light bracket, I cut the original big butt plastic flap, where the light was originally mounted on.... seen Here:

I used a jigsaw to cut this out... it doesnt have to be perfect.. but just make sure you cut in deep enough so u can drill some holes into the piece to bolt it in... as shown here:

You can see that the cut-out bracket bolts underneath the frame mount there, but above the inner "wheel well" plastic piece....

And as for the license plate bracket, I went to lowe's and bought a stick of aluminum strip, and cut it to two even lengths.... then drilled holes in them, and mounted it to the metal license plate bracket that originally comes on the bike, with all the reflectors sticking out of it...

Picture seen here:

and for the final result:

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used these trucker lights from walmart.....

I drilled holes in each side of my red brakelight, and ran the wires thru the holes, and thru holes in the back of the housing, and plugged them into the turn signal wires...

Here you can see the light itself, and you can also see where I cut the frame, and put in bicycle bar end plugs to cover up the hole.... I cut the frame with my Makita Jigsaw with a metal blade on it.....

here you can see how i ran the wires for the turn signals:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Are those turn signals as bright as they look? You mod looks sharp!

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Good job, CETME... you made it look so simple, I feel really embarassed. My hubby and I were having a fit when first starting, I think it was the whole idea of actually cutting the bike!

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys!

Gman.....Yes, the yellow lights are quite bright, and will show up real well at night.....

DUCnHAR... I was hesitant to chop the bike too... just because it had only 30 or so miles on it when I did it...
I've been building cars since i was 13... (10yrs now!) and this was no sweat......

I normally dont do any "ghetto rigs" like this on my cars... but in this case, it functions 100%... its not fragile by any means, and you cant tell where its been "rigged" ... so I'm happy =)

·
Registered
96 Posts
It is a very neat finish. Unfortunately my local regulations require blinkers on sticks, not integrated with the tail light.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
I want to keep my stock turn signals, I want to be seen.
My husband has flush mounts on his bike and you CANNOT see them in the daytime, and just barely at night, when riding with him I insist on hand signals, which we usually use along with our lights anyway!

G

·
I want to keep my stock turn signals, I want to be seen.
My husband has flush mounts on his bike and you CANNOT see them in the daytime, and just barely at night, when riding with him I insist on hand signals, which we usually use along with our lights anyway!
deb... best visibility for signals? bar-end units. actually, if you want, you can run them in parallel with the stock units pretty easily too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
nice tial chop... have a similar setup... except i made 3/4 inch aluminum brackets for the light. Turn signals i have inside the frame tubes, but my friedns tell me its hard to see durring the day.

Sweet bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts