Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about putting some MX handlebars on my Monster. I am thinking about red ones. Has anyone done that? What bars did you use?

Thanks,
Pierre

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Just ordered some Renthal mini mx fat bars for my S4R, after I discovered that the first bars I got didn't fit.
The S4R bars are 'tapered' i.e. the center section diameter is 28mm reduced to 7/8" at the grips.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've since "trimmed" the ends and added barend mirrors and plugs:

Renthal Raptor Bars will give the same rise as city bars with that cool streetfighter look. I'm sure Renthal makes a lower bar that will fit the monster - what you have to find is a very narrow bar as most of the mx bars are wider. Seems like the S4R needs ProTapers.

jb

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
So what size bar did you eventually order? Thanks.
OK this turned out to be a real pain.

The S4R uses 'tapered' bars i.e. the center section where they clamp to the top yoke risers is 28mm and the ends are std 7/8in.

The choice of tapered bars is more limited than normal bars.
I decided on renthal fat bars Mini Racer 784 equivalent part number 671-01 as the overall width is similar to the stock Magura bars. The 'bend' of these bars is exactly what I wanted, a couple of inches higher with a nice pull back.

Now what I didn't know was that these bars being designed for MX, have a short 7/8 section due to the fact that MX bikes dont have bar mounted switch assemblies, sooo they are 30mm short (the throttle overhangs by 30mm) this I solved by machining some long bar ends that fit tight inside the bars.

Next problem... the brake hoses, throttle and fast idle cables were to short. I had new ones made up 50mm longer than stock, They fit OK but if I did it again I would make that 60mm. note that only the top brake hose needs lengthening the two legs after the tee remain as stock.

I had to grind off the locating nibs from the switch gear as I didnt want to drill the bars, everything clamped up fine except the left hand switch whisch required a turn of electrical tape round the bar now thats fine.

The fast idle lever is a REAL pain in the [email protected]@ to assemble drove me mad enough not to want to talk about it.

Result?? the bike is transformed, I feel much more confident and comfortable.

I will post some pics soon.

Oh yeah this 'little' mod cost me close to $700!!!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hmm it seems to be more of a pian than I had thought, I had imagined a "simple" swap out........Oh well, I guess I'll move on to the next idea......

·
Registered
39 Posts
Chupa,
Thanks for the report. Good to know that you like the new riding position. Looking forward to seeing the pictures...

jbuzbee,
Did you have to use extended throttle/brake cables as well?

Thanks,
Pierre

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JoeBar - no

I re-routed the fast idle cable behind the triple, rotated the brake and clutch hydraulic lines about the banjo bolts at the coffins, and took a loop out of the left harness to keep it in the stock location; thru the front of the triple. I didn't notice the loop at first, but had my tank up and saw the extra length zip tied to the frame! All harnesses and hydraulics stock and the position is sooooo comfy . . . ;)

jb

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Yo, JBuz!
You bars look like they're longer than stock, and Patrick says his are shorter... :-/

Are yours really longer?? and if not, what did you do to make them look that way?

... Also, will MX bars hold up like street bars?? they're designed for much lighter bikes... then again, they are also made to take alot of impact and bumps... How are they strength-wise?? do they Look/feel like stock bars?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ran into the same problems as Chupa, the idle cable and throttle cables are too short for the bars that I picked. I bought a Renthal that's for a Zuki RM125/250. It wayyy lower that those raptor ape-hangers ;D, it only has a 3 inch total rise.

I solved the problem by ditching the idle cable. It's summer and I figure I can live without it for now. No swap is ever simple Patrick, they all turn into a pain somehow...

Slickrick, they look better than the chrome bars that came on my '03 620, and I can't imagine them being weak strength-wise.

The moral of the story...I hate 'em and will be going the other way and buying a set of CycleCat clip-ons. The Renthal's take alot of the feel off the front tire and make the whole bike feel disconnected somehow. Plus the width make me nervous when lane-sharing/splitting.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Renthal makes "road" bars, I have only seen them for sale out of england.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Renthal makes "road" bars, I have only seen them for sale out of england. Check out www.bandcexpress.co.uk, they have the road bars and the handlebar braces there. That is where I plan on getting a set of renthal bars.
Great link! The Road Bike Low or Medium bars might just be what I am looking for... They are narrower than regular MX bars. Anyone has the mesurements of the stock Monster bar for comparison?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts