Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a NEW 02 750 Dark yesterday. This is only my second bike.

Looking for any suggestions/comments on MUST DO type modifications.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
#1 get ride of those mickey mouse mirrors,#2 Tail cut off and license plate relocation....
So many things to do, let your creativity take over ;D
have fun

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there's a bunch of easy cheap stuff you can do first.

- install a sprocket that's 2 teeth larger in the rear or a 14 tooth front sprocket to lower the gearing a bit. if you only go up by two teeth in the rear, you won't need a new (longer) chain. it's pretty easy to do either swap yourself, and sprockets are pretty cheap. by sacrificing very little of your top speed, you'll have much better pull off the line.

- as mentioned, get rid of those chee-Z stock mirrors. they SUCK! "3rd eye" mirrors are a great inexpensive alternative. napolean baren mirrors are also great and many folks here will tell you CRG's are the best around (but pricier).

- pull that useless "smog box" out from under the right side cover. it's a total waste of time considering the overflow tube vents directly to the atmosphere anyways and its removal is practically free (all you need is threadlocking compound and a couple of 5/8" vacuum caps).

- HACK THE TAIL!!! you'll see tons of examples of how to do this. after actually chopping the offending protrusion off the end of the frame, you can install an aftermarket plate bracket or bend one up yourself for short money with hardware from your local home depot, lowes, etc...

- then yep... standard stuff includes exhaust (v-twins shouldn't sound like kittens), airbox, tuning the fuel injection (hope your dealer's good).

have fun!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'd say:
1) Pipes. Definitely pipes. First thing. Your Ducati wants to make scary noise :)
2) Sidestand interlock bypass. HUGE help if you prefer to warm up before taking off.
3) Mirrors. I really love my CRGs; also, moving the grips inboard a little to make room for the mirrors seems to fit me better and reduce twitchiness on the expressway.

Personally, I don't see a pressing need to change sprockets - to my ear it's already really short in fifth, but that's really entirely a matter of taste...

M.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think they've hit everything that I'd do/am gonna do.

Pipes definately first. I'm probably gonna open the airbox a bit, too. I love intake noise!

One thing that wasn't mentioned is some kind of alteration to your ECU. I have a Power Commander. I think you need to modify the mixture if you add pipes and/or intake.

Definately the mirrors.

The tail seems somewhat controversial - the Chop v. Don't Chop Camps. I'm definately in the Chop camp! ;D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, if we're talking about the FIRST modification, I feel it should be the sidestand bypass mod. As mentioned by Strati earlier, the kit by Electraeon is fantastic, easy to mount, looks factory, and works perfectly. Great to be able to warm up your bike while you're suiting up.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I would put gearing change as #1, since it makes a big difference and costs much less than pipes.

You don't have to do all the changes at once. Just ride the bike and decide for yourself what you wish were a little different.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
IMO, don't hack the tail. Do get a fender eliminator to raise the license plate up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My first mod was side stand. The level of suckage factor removed after install was down greatly. Now I can let the bike warm up while I get my stuff together.

My second mod was new mirrors. The mickeys just didnt cut it.

My third mod is new adjustable levers which should go on this week or so.

After that in no particular order:
emission's removal
non-sucky looking windscreen/fairing
termi high pipes
hide the wiring
intake pods or modded airbox + ecu tuning (maybe)

·
Banned
1,350 Posts
In my eyes these were a must when I bought my '01 900 off the showroom floor.

Exhaust (Termi Ti oval low)
Air box mod and filter (K&N)
Re-mapped ECU
Tail chop
CRG bar-ends
Strip fairing, tail cowl.
Change gearing (41t rear sprocket)
Sidestand interlock bypass
Smog can removal

That was in two-months of ownership. Then about eight-months later I had about $3,500 total in mods. I had to let the wallet recover...but, could easily spend that amount again soon here.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I think the best advice has already been given: ride it and decide for yourself what you want/need.

Before I got the bike, I thought a Sargeant seat and steering damper were essential mods on my list. After 10,000 mi, I have no intention of doing either.

My bike came (used) jetted with CF cans, a tach kit, a center stand and CF fender eliminator. Also the self-retracting side stand had been defeated.

I very quickly replaced the mirrors. I thought it a matter of survival!

I love my clip-ons, but others swear by the dirt track bars. You'll figure out for yourself whether you need to change or not.

Ride it!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the comments. They were all EXTREMELY helpful. I will definitely be referring to them while I modify.

I think the first order of business will be license plate relocation, mirrors, sidestand bypass, and pipes.

Wish me luck.

·
Registered
109 Posts
bottom line- anti fatigue grips
man do i need some

1 - 19 of 19 Posts