Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride 80 miles every day. Vista to San Diego and back. I dont care about legality, im more concerned with sanity. Can anyone suggest a way to listen to headphones? Ear buds are too painful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45,105 Posts
You can buy helmets with headphones built into them but you can also get headphones that will stick between your liner and the shell of your helmet. Can't remember what they're called but I'm sure someone will pop up with an answer.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
881 Posts
Try different headphones. I ride with earbuds from Sony. They were around $40. They are plently comfortable whiule my ipod stock ones were just ok, and started to fall out or got uncomfortable after more than 20 minutes. If you want helmet headphones, then +1 for helmetaudio.com. I want to find some wireless headphones, maybe using bluetooth that i can have in the helmet and not worry about a cord going to the ipod.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
975 Posts
OK, there's been a few posts on this, but thought it was time to add my 2 cents...

I always like the option of listening to music while riding, especially the long, boring, point A to point B rides. Ear buds seem like too much trouble to me 'cause I'm not a headphone guy typicaly. I don't listen in the technical or fun stuff.

I bought the helmet speakers from HelmetAudio.com.

They are OK quality, but not the best. They are thin as they claim, and the sound is OK. The price is right! It's nice that they come with the female jack and extension cable ready for use so you don't have to try and convert anything. I tried them in the ear pockets pushed back against the helmet shell, but found that they were just too quiet this way as they were not close to my ear (I have a newer KBC helmet). So I played around with the absolute best position against my ear, as if I was wearing standard style headphones. I then sewed the speakers to my helmet lining to the inside of the helmet in just the right position. I had to leave the bottom of the speaker free where the helemt strap comes through. It's a snug fit, and sometimes takes some adjusting to get them just right on my ear. They sound pretty good this way and work at lower volumes so there is less distortion (although my little MP3 player has to be just a couple of clicks shy of full volume to be heard over the wind noise on the freeway. Sometimes you get just enough sound coming through that you have to fill in the blanks by humming along yourself.

Now for the latest, and most exiting development: I recently got some of those custom molded earplugs made. They work great with the speakers! Somehow I get less wind noise and I think with the way I have the speakers installed they kind of couple to the earplug. The music is pretty clear, but at a fairly low volume. Much more fidelity also. Only problem is I get a lot of pressure on the ear plugs, causing some pain on longer rides, which may be due to the way I have the speakers installed.

Hope this all comes in handy for someone's consideration. :angel:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45,105 Posts
C Fresh said:
Try different headphones.
+1

I tried the original iPod earbuds, and they're lousy under a helmet - way too easy to dislodge with putting the helmet on or when the cord snags, and just not comfortable over long periods. I tried the Apple in-ear ones, and they're better, but in my ears the angle on the small stalk that the cord comes out of sits sticking out at an angle that means slight movement of the helmet levers the plugs out of my ears (my girlfriend doesn't have that problem though, they work fine for her). I then got some cheap Koss brand ones with replaceable foam plugs just like ordinary earplugs, and they worked great except the audio quality was crap (way to much emphasis on the bass). I've ended up with some _really_ nice Etymotic ER6i's - definitely not cheap, but comfortable, practical, and they sound great. I'd buy another pair in a heartbeat if I lost this pair...

big
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
I have had the Helmet Audio speakers for about two months and their awesome. They are great for canyon riding to get into the flow. Also they aren't bad in the city, their not too loud so I can hear normal traffic. I would say it's one of my top mods
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input! Unfortunately i dont have 600+ dollars to spend on a helmet. even if it is super sweet. I would like to modify my existing helmet and actually install speakers from a sony headset i have. But its the only helmet i have and modifying helmets is sketchy.

Anybody ever cut holes in the side of ther helmets and put drivers in it? im thinkin about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
752 Posts
bigiain said:
+1

I tried the original iPod earbuds, and they're lousy under a helmet - way too easy to dislodge with putting the helmet on or when the cord snags, and just not comfortable over long periods. I tried the Apple in-ear ones, and they're better, but in my ears the angle on the small stalk that the cord comes out of sits sticking out at an angle that means slight movement of the helmet levers the plugs out of my ears (my girlfriend doesn't have that problem though, they work fine for her). I then got some cheap Koss brand ones with replaceable foam plugs just like ordinary earplugs, and they worked great except the audio quality was crap (way to much emphasis on the bass). I've ended up with some _really_ nice Etymotic ER6i's - definitely not cheap, but comfortable, practical, and they sound great. I'd buy another pair in a heartbeat if I lost this pair...

big
+1 on the Etymotics i have bought them this week and they are super
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,680 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
723 Posts
I'm pretty sure if you cut the helmet you will loose the integrity of it. I have heard man success stories of people getting the headphones that wrap around the back of your head, and fitting them into the lining of the helmet. My arai, has some big indents where my ears fit, and that makes it very easy to line up the fit. Also you can get that style earphones by either logitech or Motorola that have bluetooth, and connectors so you can hook up an ipod wirelessly. I would try this route because they will be bigger headphones that don't need to press against the ear for you to have good sound quality, and they can also integrate bluetooth phones, though i am not sure how well that would work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,680 Posts
Duke Dave said:
I'm pretty sure if you cut the helmet you will loose the integrity of it. I have heard man success stories of people getting the headphones that wrap around the back of your head, and fitting them into the lining of the helmet. My arai, has some big indents where my ears fit, and that makes it very easy to line up the fit. Also you can get that style earphones by either logitech or Motorola that have bluetooth, and connectors so you can hook up an ipod wirelessly. I would try this route because they will be bigger headphones that don't need to press against the ear for you to have good sound quality, and they can also integrate bluetooth phones, though i am not sure how well that would work.
+1 cutting it generally ruins the integrity of it. i wouldn't do it if my life depended on it. and as far as i can tell, my life DOES depend on it! my HJC CL-14 has those indents like your arai, fit speakers perfectly, almost like it was designed for it. my speakers work perfectly, sound great, and cut out a LOT of windnoise even on freeway.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
723 Posts
vonkeswick said:
+1 cutting it generally ruins the integrity of it. i wouldn't do it if my life depended on it. and as far as i can tell, my life DOES depend on it! my HJC CL-14 has those indents like your arai, fit speakers perfectly, almost like it was designed for it. my speakers work perfectly, sound great, and cut out a LOT of windnoise even on freeway.
could you post pictures, and list your setup?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,680 Posts
Duke Dave said:
could you post pictures, and list your setup?
yeah sure. at work but will post pics when i get home [thumbsup]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have the HJC cl-14 too. Its the kill bill helmet. If i had it my way, there would be wireless headphones, wireless heads-up display (with turn signal indicator so i stop forgetting to turn them off), voice recognition bluetooth for my cell phone.. and an orange fanta despenser.

But ill settle for the headphones. I wonder that you can just buy the headpone drivers from sony , then attach them under the padding.. no cutting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,680 Posts
CliveS2R said:
I have the HJC cl-14 too. Its the kill bill helmet. If i had it my way, there would be wireless headphones, wireless heads-up display (with turn signal indicator so i stop forgetting to turn them off), voice recognition bluetooth for my cell phone.. and an orange fanta despenser.

But ill settle for the headphones. I wonder that you can just buy the headpone drivers from sony , then attach them under the padding.. no cutting.
don't you wanna, fanta fanta, don't you wanna
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
vonkeswick said:
don't you wanna, fanta fanta, don't you wanna
Hate those commercials. Just watched where the buffalo roam again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,680 Posts
CliveS2R said:
Hate those commercials. Just watched where the buffalo roam again.
those commercials aren't as bad when muted ;)
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top