Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im have my heart on the new S4R but seeing the Multistrada in black over the weekend had me weak in the knees

To me the multistrada and the tuono are along the same lines and it would be a little stupid-in my opinion- to purchase the multistrada since i have the tuono

though i would like to hear anyone elses opinion on this topic

I mean i was told the multistrada was a "monster on steroids"

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
The Tuono is more like the Monster S4R than like the Multistrada.

I wish I had a stable of bikes like you and could add the Ducati of my choice. <<envy>>

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Tuono is more like the Monster S4R than like the Multistrada.

I wish I had a stable of bikes like you and could add the Ducati of my choice.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Ugly VS. Beautiful?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Re: multistrada vs monster ;) ;)

You're really having a tough time buying a Ducati aren't you ? ;) I've been following your quest for a monster since it started. I was hoping you would buy an S4R, so I could hear more of a long term comparison between the S4R and Tuono. I know someone with a Multi and although I have never riden one, it seems to me that it would be better suited for a passenger as well as being better mannered around town than a S4R would be. I would have to agree with Scott, the Multi would add more variety to your stable.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
I've ridden a Tuono and a Multistrada and I don't think that they're anything alike.

The Multistrada is like riding a big scooter crossed with a supermoto. It's really fun around town easy to ride and would probably do great with a passenger (it even has a remote pre-load adjuster for a quick adjustment when adding a passenger). It's very fun to ride in the twisties, but it's not as agressive or powerful as a tuono or an S4R. If I had the cash, I'dd add a Multistrada to the garage, but I wouldn't trade anything I have for it.

If you really care about carrying a passenger, I've heard that the Monster is a horrible bike to be a pillion on from the few times that I've ridden with a passenger.

--Fillmore

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: multistrada vs monster ;) ;)

You're really having a tough time buying a Ducati aren't you ?

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
If you really care about carrying a passenger, I've heard that the Monster is a horrible bike to be a pillion on from the few times that I've ridden with a passenger. --Fillmore
Zina rode passenger with me (on HER bike) to LA and back one night. here's the page she made the next day

i sat on a multi and it is TALL. not nearly as confidence inspiring as the monstro. the monster is absolutely carefree to ride, where i suspect one will feel less free on the multistroodle.

sandy eggo??? that's where i am, too. :)

:) chris

G

·
Monster on steroids isn't a good description of the multistrada. They are very different bikes. Personally I love the looks and concept of the Multistrada, but I didn't like riding it. I like the Tuono, and would probably have one if I could have gotten one. After owning a Monster, I would never go back.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sandy eggo??? that's where i am, too. :)

:) chris[/quote]

Chris
I think i met you and Zina a couple of years ago at Two Wheel Tuesday at the Live Wire I used to own a 99 900s with some mods-full DP "916 style" exhaust rear sets 41mm flatslides etc

IN the height dept i think it reminds me of the tuono and i agree the monster is a much more comfy bike for my height

As for the monster butt my girl would not be on the bike for more than one hour at a time so that isnt too concerning though i appreciate the link

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
i sat on a multi and it is TALL. not nearly as confidence inspiring as the monstro. the monster is absolutely carefree to ride, where i suspect one will feel less free on the multistroodle.
I've got an open bike-trade agreement with a friend that lives down the street to swap my Monster for his Multistrada whenever the need hits me.

The Multistrada is tall, but the seat is narrow at the front. It is actually easier to duck walk around my yard than my Monster with a Sargent saddle.

The Monster is so carefree to ride and I've ridden my Monster enough that I end up doing stupid stuff like rolling up to stop signs without my hands on the bars.

The Multistrada has really high bars (too high for my taste) and the footpegs are more forward than the Monster. Combine that with the fact that the Multistrada has way more streering lock than the Monster and it makes it a really good bike for running around town, zipping around parking lots, etc. It's easy to stand up on and it seems to give the rider more leverage to muscle the bike around. It's also seems more comfortable to be stuck in traffic on.

Those same qualities make me less comfortable when riding agressively. I like to ride low and forward over the tank on my Monster and the ergos on the MS make that seem less natural. You can really weight the pegs and crank the MS over in a corner, but it takes a little getting used to if you're used to riding a sportier bike.

I love my Monster. At the time that I bought it, I thought that it would be the ultimate "all-around" bike. Since then I've made my Monster more of a sportbike and the Multistrada represents a lot of the utility that I sometimes miss on the Monster.

--Fillmore

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
My best description for the Multistrada is a Suzuki DR650 with Ohlins suspension, 17inch wheels and a Ducati Motor. And that probably doesn't do it justice.

It's not the prettiest but as I've said before you don't look at the mantlepiece when you're stoking the fire!

G

·
A Multistrada, what are you thinking?? Get a Monster while you can. One day the happy amateurs of the present Ducati design team will destroy the design of the Monster, as they have done with all the other Ducati bikes.

Slim

G

·
The Multistrada is an acquired taste. I don't care for it, but my wife wants one really badly. Trouble is, she won't sell her H***a Hawk GT for anything.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I tested a Multistrada. It has very smooth power, but not as mush as a S4R or Tuono. It is definitely more 'dirt bike' than a monster in its riding/sitting style.

For a different style of riding and longer touring, I would recommend the Multi. Get the small bags and the taller screen!

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
I got to ride the multistrada and s4 briefly at a local dealer's re-opening day. The s4 feels just like my 900 (ergos, weight, handling), but with more oomph that would probably never get tapped on a really twisty road. All in all though I liked the s4 a lot.

The multistrada I was really looking forward to, having spend a couple of weeks riding a bmw 650 in New Zealand. Unfortunately the ms just felt big, and I never really could get used to the riding position (at least in the short ride I got). Also for me it was a tippy-toe affair at the light, so I'd be a little reluctant to have someone on back. I could probably get used to the aesthetics over time, but when I first saw it my impression was 'yuck'.

I think if what you want to do is mostly go fast, have fun and carry a passenger for *very* brief periods then the monster is the way to go. If you want to tour then look at an st2|3|4 or a beemer.

Just my opinion of course, YMMV.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am short 5'7" but I felt comforatble on the multistrada. It just rides high and that feels weird and you dont feel as agile but you actually are as I rode it very hard in the twisties. Your passenger will feel a lot better on it than the monster unless you get the corbin seat.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts