Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Although I've never riddn a Multistrade, people who have seem to love them.

I think you can make a monster INTO just about whatever you want. if you want it super sporty, throw on some Clip-ons. If you want it more utilitarian you can get a higher handlebar, and saddlebags. Ducati even made a Monster version called the "CITY" that had a higher handlebar and hard bags I THINK.

I'm not sure the Multistrada would be as easy to make into what you want, if that makes sense.

As far as the aftermarket is concerned I'd have to guess the MONSTER has MUCH MUCH more to offer, just because the Multi is so new.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Either or can have hard bags and a tailpack. The Strada has a little more wind protection and is less cramped in the saddle.
Monster is easier to customize and feels like a toy to ride. Do you ride 2 up a lot ? If almost always the strada would be a better choice. I have a Gran Canyon which is almost exactly like a strada and its a blast. Riding the monster afterwards makes it feel like a toy. For long rides I take the Gran Canyon.
The Monster can give a wiggle on the front end when heavy under power and the wheel touches lightly, but by no means is it a "tankslapper". A lot run a steering damper, I do not and have the FCR's which really give a rush of acceleration.
It boils down to what type of riding you do, how many miles a year do you ride?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I ride single almost always, so pillion comfort is not a high priority. I'll ride about 8-10K per year. Mostly 1-3 hours are the norm when I go for a "ride", otherwise it is used around town and to and from work (15 mins.).

I'm not looking to make the bike into anything, other than the normal mods. I want the bike to be what it is (if that makes any sense). Both seem like they'd perform as required for my needs. I need something that handles like a sportbike, with a seating position that a 43 year old can be comfortable with. I wouldn't ever classify my style as "Speed Racer", but a do enjoy laying it over a bit in the twisties w/o grinding parts off the bike.

I really need to just demo the Monster down at the dealer in O'Side. I know the Multi was sweet, but the Monster is the "X" factor 'cause it just looks so sweet.

Does the fairing on the "S" make any difference in the wind blast? Probably not considering the size.

Have your bikes been dependable?

Thanks again.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, and if I end up buying the Multistrada will you guys still let me hang here? This site is an excellent resource for So. Cal. riders. 8)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hmmmm, a cowboy lookin' for a new horse? Well, you've picked a difficult pair to pick from.

I test rode the Multistrada a few months ago and was impressed considering the short twenty minute ride I took. I have no doubt that it's more than capable in the twisties, and that new engine is a sweetie. It seemed an easy bike to get on and ride fast from the get-go.

I have an S4 so I don't have lots of experience with the 2-valvers. Judging from the MTS I rode the 1000 Monster should have plenty of poke. The newer Monsters (since '03) are the same chassis as the S4, and I think it's a great one. The older Monsters were known to be a bit nervous, so maybe that's where you got your info about tankslappers. The new ones work pretty well out of the box and even better with some suspension setup. I've never had anything even close to a 'slapper, and I don't lollygag very much when I'm in go-mode.

IMO the MTS is "probably" going to be a better day-to-day bike. The Monster definitely gets the nod for style, although the MTS is the only Terreblanche design I actually like. If I wanted a bike to carry a honey along, commute, and tear it up some on the weekends I'd go for the MTS. The Monster can certainly commute and tear it up too, but forget the honey except for short trips. The Monster is definitely more of a toy. I hear the seat on the MTS sucks; you might take that into consideration.

As for reliability the MTS is a new design, but with a proven engine. There might be a few kinks to be worked out. The Monsters haven't been without their share of faux pas either. IMO Ducatis in general need more than average care and feeding in both scheduled and unscheduled maintenance. I'll say now that you can't go wrong with O'side. They're as solid as it gets for service after the sale.

Good luck to you 'pard.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info SoCalSar, just what I was looking for.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Either one's stock saddle sucks. Monster will leave you a bit cramped at the knee on a long ride, especially if you have long legs. I think the monster is probably more comfy with clipons than handlebars. That takes some of the weight of your knees.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Well, I rode a Multi about 6 months ago or so. Just a buzz around a big city block. Motor felt pretty strong, handling was fine. Seating position was very dual-sport, but with narrow bars. Didn't ride anywhere near long enough to evaluate the seat. Some folks here get along fine with the stock Monster seat, others hate it and get a Sargent or Corbin. Wind noise was pretty severe considering the low speeds, so it may be that the protection comes at a cost. The OEM fairing on my S4 offers just the right amount of protection for me, and no noise. I'm only a couple of years younger than you, and the S4 riding position is as sporty as I'm comfortable with, actually a little less...I've fitted the taller CycleCat bars.
I'm not fond of the looks of the Multi...

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
5'10", 33 inseam, 175lbs

Will the clip-ons make the riding position more aggressive?

No matter which bike I buy, I plan on changing the seat. I know O'Side had a comfort seat for the MTS in stock.

TroySlap-- finally saw your message. Thanks.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Speeddog, did the CycleCats like a big difference in how or where the wind hit you? I think that would be my first mod, if it didn't adversly affect the rider.

·
Registered
445 Posts
For comfort the riding positions should be a wash. Word around the campfire is that the MTS's seat is probably bad enough to give the Monster a "win" in the comfort category. The Monster,

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
The Multistrada is certainly not the bike you go out to the garage to just stare at...
Only if you hang the newest Playboy centerfold over that front fairing.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Actually, they helped two ways. Sat me up a little, taking some weight off of my hands. Also got a little more of me up into the wind, which took some more weight off. The grip position was more comfortable as well. A detail here is that the M1000 has tubular handlebars, while my S4 has tripleclamp mounted sorta-clipons. You've got more options with the M1000; different tubular bars, or regular clipons if you like.

Cowboy, if you can swing a test-ride on the M1000, it's going to really show you the difference. I haven't ridden an M1000, and my ride on the Multi was real short, so my info is limited.

You can't get the Monster riding position up to what the Multi is, it's just not possible. AFAIK, the motor is the same, the Multi has a little more suspension travel on the forks, is 25 lbs heavier, and has 1.4 gallons more fuel capacity. The brakes and wheels are basically the same. The M1000 will feel some the same, some very different....

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
i bought the "official" (i guess) windscreen for my M800, and it does help a bit if you get tucked in. Only problem is it flaps, which i am fixing soon. Also, w/o clipons it may be more uncomfortable to tuck in like you need to in order to get full protection. Of course when I ride i'm covered head to toe (including neck warmer in the winter), so wind isnt a big deal.

On the seat, the stock monster's makes you slide into the tank when you brake. its a bit of a problem for me, so i'm getting a sargent seat for my b-day next month. of course thats assuming i'm gonna ride it after my black corse paint job gets done this month, since i might be too scared to take it out cuz i'm thinking i'm gonna crash it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts