Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a novice rider and still uncomfortable amongst traffic. The stock mirrors on my new M695 do a reasonably good job, although with some blur. I thought I might get some added rear/side vision with an additional set of bar end mirrors. That would make four mirrors altogether. Has anyone felt the need for this or have any other input? Too goofy? Bad idea for some reason?

BK

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Bar end mirrors e.g. CRG doesn't shake at higher speeds.
Four mirrors maybe over doing it.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
BK, the blur that you are experiencing probably comes from the engine vibration. I think if you added more mirrors they would all be pretty much the same, maybe not bar-ends?. Mirrors are there to let you know of objects behind you not necessarily to let you know if the blond in the red '05 Acura with the pink sweater is cute or not. OK, I realize this is important info., but you know what I mean.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
BK_856er said:
I'm a novice rider and still uncomfortable amongst traffic. The stock mirrors on my new M695 do a reasonably good job, although with some blur. I thought I might get some added rear/side vision with an additional set of bar end mirrors. That would make four mirrors altogether. Has anyone felt the need for this or have any other input? Too goofy? Bad idea for some reason?

BK
It takes time to get comfortable riding in traffic, practice young Jedi. You could put on 4 mirrors, but it would be a crutch. Oh yeah, and people would point and laugh at you as well. [thumbsup] [laugh]

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
I've got the CRG bar end mirrors too and haven't found them to be shaky/blurry at all. Also, I'm from NYC so I did most of my early riding in pretty heavy traffic (which was an interesting experience given I thought a decently modified 900 was a good idea for a first bike) but I felt quite comfortable with the visibility I got from my mirrors.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it - two mirrors should be sufficient and more comfort will come with more experience. When I drive my car I keep a constant inventory of everthing around me at all times and frequently scan all mirrors as well as using the ears. I find that on the bike I'm more focused on what's ahead (road hazards, vehicles turning or approaching, etc.) and on proper operation of the bike. A quick glance at the mirrors doesn't give me the total inventory or "sense" I'm used to having and I get a bit uneasy. Hopefully in time the riding part will become more automatic and allow more CPU cycles for the other stuff. Maybe I'll get the CRG bar ends and see which type is more natural/effective for me.

BK

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The feeling of using mirrors on a bike as compared to a car(at least for me) is never the same. IMO, looking down road on a bike is much more important that what's behind. Hit the streets with less traffic for a while, and you'll feel like a champ in no time.

Oh, and sweet 635(from your other post)...brings back some great BMW memories! [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad that someone caught the E24! I've been driving (and modding) one for nearly 20 years now. Time for a new obsession, which I think I've found in the Monster. Similar type of "old school" visceral charm and effective simplicity.

BK

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
4 mirrors will do worse than better IMO as they will distract you.
You might consider one of those helmets with the rear mirror which let you see your back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts