Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to do a longer ride on the Monster. I've never been around the gold country. I've never been over Tioga Pass. I've never ridden anywhere in Oregon, or Nevada, or even substantial parts of Central CA. Pashnit.com is killing me! Who wants to schedule a trip for late spring/early summer? I don't know about you but I have to plan these things in advance. I'm thinking a 2 or 3 day trip with light camping or Motel X. Suggestions welcome.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
As soon as the snow melts on the east end of Yosemite, I'm planning a day trip through there. Now that I have a bike more appropriate for riding a few hundred miles in a day I want to take advantage of it. I could be talked into a 2-day trip.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Sarah, but that's too soon for my planning purposes. Besides, if I were to go with the adventure riders, I'd have to take the KLR 8)

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
I have to say I've always wanted to explore Hwy 395 (I think that's the right #) that runs past Mono Lake and the east side of the Sierras. It's just this damn thing called work that gets in the way...

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
I've done a very cool ride to Prescott, including 395, Vegas, Mt. Whitney, Death Valley, and Disneyland. That's an easy way to kill a set of tires!

Also took a Shasta trip, including Mt. Lassen and my first Monster speeding ticket (watch I-5 above Redding, they're everywhere up there!)

And another trip to Ft. Bragg, where I got my first run on Skaggs Spring Rd.

And in May I'm taking a trip to Solvang! This little Monster of mine is getting around. It helps that I've got a little club that I ride with, and we plan two overnighters a year.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I have to say I've always wanted to explore Hwy 395 (I think that's the right #) that runs past Mono Lake and the east side of the Sierras. It's just this damn thing called work that gets in the way...
Yeah, 395 and the Owens Valley are beautiful. Are you taliking north of Mono Lake, Michael?

My brother and I are considering a ride along the coast up to Oregon to visit our mother sometime this Summer. Any Hooligans would be welcome (I'm sure she'd love to meet ya'll ;D ). Haven't nailed down any dates yet, but it would probably be later in the Summer, late August, when I have a couple weeks off between Summer school and the Fall quarter.

Wouldn't mind a one or two night trip either, though. Ft Bragg/Mendocinio would be great. Maybe spend a night at Orr Hot Springs. Jeez, maybe I'll do a little hot springs tour this week since I'm off of my teaching gig for Spring break. [smiley=evil.gif] Orr one night, over to Wilbur another, and then to Harbin for a third. Yeah! Anyone else have the week (3/29 - 4/2) free?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Paul- A suggestion- figure out what time you can schedule off and let us know. There are all kinds of tempting rides out there. I think it would work well to let us in on your schedule and let us join up instead of the other way around.
Last year Rock Starr and I took an overnighter through Yosemete and stayed at the Tioga Pass Resort. The next day we went to Mono Lake and up 395. Then over the Sonora pass and back home. I can't wait to do it again! There was 12-18" of snow on the ground on the passes but it was t-shirt temperature during the day. Awesome.
Cesar.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, I can schedule just about any weekend, as long as it's a few weeks in advance. I was just trying to gauge interest. Let's talk about possible dates at the DNA ride. Maybe sometime in June since the mountain passes will be open by then.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
As soon as the snow melts on the east end of Yosemite, I'm planning a day trip through there.
I drove through there at Easter 2 years ago, and while I'd have _liked_ to be on the Monster[1], with all that salt/ash crap still all over the apexes of many of the blind corners, maybe I was better off in the GTI Golf...

I suspect a bit later in the season the crap been cleared off the road a bit, but probably by the meandering hordes of tourists who then proceed to get in your way on all the fun bits... :-(

big

[1] a little hard, it being almost 10,000 miles away...

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, I'm gonna pitch a weekend. I know this may seem like it's a long way away but it will be here before we know it :eek:

June 11-12-13-14?...who's in?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Damn! I'm gone those days :mad:

Sassafrassa...

·
Registered
316 Posts
I will be returning from 2 weeks in Russia then. The following weekend would work better for me.
Cesar.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I'll still be gone the next weekend

1 - 15 of 15 Posts