Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've started rebuilding the Multistrada. I tore it down completely back in the fall after my crash for a couple of reasons. One, I wanted to check everything out, make sure there wasn't any hidden broken or tweaked parts that weren't obvious. Second, the entire bike was pretty nasty and dirty.

I went thru a whole can of WD40 cleaning the grease off the motor, but it looks like new now. It looks pretty plain though. Gonna have to get creative with the clutch and belt covers, cause I don't feel like spending any money on covers. Maybe some clear lexan covers?
frame and swingarm drops right on.

still don't know if I'll use these wheels, or the 10 spoke black wheels.

I've got the airbox installed now, and most of the wiring harness reconnected. time to re-install the tank and a few other odds and ends (new bars, rotors and pads, new chain, etc.) I need to go back and figure out if I'll be able to salvage a lot of the plastics and the headlight. I might just throw a motard headlight on there from Acerbis. for turn signals I'm planning to mount a LED strip in some handguards. we'll see how it turns out. I'll add pics as I go.

Attachments

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bob was right about the rotors. they're from Alth in Italy. I got them from sportbiketrackgear, and they're about $100 cheaper (per rotor) there than other place I've seen.

A

·
0 Posts
Those are fooking hot! The whole bike thus far! :eek:
You never cease 2 shock me dog.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Man I admire your mechanical ability and dedication. I just noticed that you are doing the assmbly in your living room....hope you are on the ground floor. I really like the MTS..have you seen Motogpfan's MTS on the main board? I love how he redesigned the front headlight assembly.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, I've seen gpfan's bike. he did a really nice job. that's one of the reasons why I got the multi in the first place, it has a ton of potential for customization beyond just the normal mods. I would love to build something that looks similar to this:

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
b.h. said:
yeah, I've seen gpfan's bike. he did a really nice job. that's one of the reasons why I got the multi in the first place, it has a ton of potential for customization beyond just the normal mods. I would love to build something that looks similar to this:
That would look sweet, especially with the red frame your MTS has instead.

·
Registered
177 Posts
That would be awsome. The Multi has great lines and tons of potential. I think Ducati really missed the boat on the OEM front end styling.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
agree 100%
although it does kind of grow on you. at first look I thought it was totally fugly. after a while I was just kind of indifferent. the great motor and nice handling help you get used to the ugly I guess.

A

·
0 Posts
I still liked the Multi in it's awkward stage but even more as I look at GP's and the preliminary scope of the B.H. 1000.

R.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
quick update: due to some last minute planning, I've been trying to rebuild the bike quickly in order to go on a trip to deal's gap next week. that means a lot of the stock plastics are going back on, broken or not. duct tape is being used liberally at this point.

I have mounted some new handguards and some cool bar end mirrors. the setup is similar to motogpfan's bike. I'll probably uses some left over turn signals from the monster for now until I can find a suitable LED strip signal to mount on the handguards. I'm using the master cylinders from a superbike, as the stock parts were busted up. right now, this is about the only positive portion of the rebuild.

I've reconnected the entire harness, and checked every connection 3 or 4 times, but the EOBD "engine light" is still on, so the bike won't start. when I crashed, the ignition shroud, and immobilizer antennae were slighty damaged, so i'm hoping that's the only problem. I'll have to take it to MCC over the weekend to find out.

and the worst part: the G'd**n gas tank on this bike is the worst piece of design engineering that I think I've ever seen. similar to the 999, the tank extends all the way into the tail section. I think the hypermotard is like this as well. I swear I will never buy another bike that is built like this. it's such a pain in the @ss to mount the tank and make all the necessary connections. to top it off, I somehow managed to snap the non-standard shoulder screw that attaches the front of tank to the frame. bottom line, this screw might be the deal breaker for making this trip. so pissed.
next winter this tank is coming off, and I'm gonna cut the f*cker in half with a chainsaw. then I'm gonna fab up an aluminum tank that looks better, is about 1/2 as light, and has a working fuel gauge!

I haven't been taking many pics lately since I diverged from the custom route, but I'll try to add some more soon.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Good luck with that shyte... on a minor note re: the fairings, just throw the whole roll of tape on there and tell people it's a prototype on loan from Ducati. 8)

A

·
0 Posts
Man I forgot all about that gas tank design! That's wack. I remember hearing (and experiencing) the inaccuracies of the tank because of horizontal tank design.

I wish I could help you bypass the electrical gremlins (hey, I know a gremlin who rides a duc [laugh]).
Depending on the cost associated with OEM equipment, would a FIM ECU exist as an alternative?

I WANNA HELP WITH THE TANK HACK!!! After almost losing a finger, I'm allured.

Can't wait to see the mirrors and handguards. Let me know if I can help with something. I'll come lend a hand an inquisitive mind if you work on it Saturday.

R.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I think engineers should take apart their prototypes and see for themselves that they will piss someone off [cheeky]

Anyway..I have been looking at these for my plate illumination. Does this help with the LED project????

http://www.theledlight.com/MicroStar.html

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the LEDs I was looking at were small linear strips. mounted on the handguards, they would be pretty inconspicuous until they were turned on.

haven't even looked at an aftermarket computer yet. although, I'm sure one probably exists for the 1000DS motor. how much do those normally cost? a fortune, or just a small fortune?

you almost lost a finger in a chainsaw accident? do tell

·
Registered
346 Posts
Try Googling MegaSquirt (hey one word ..don't even think about two words there in Google [laugh])

There is you cheap computer. You will have full control.

I have two lying on my desk for a car application. I will let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the b1tch runs
it's fricken loud too, I didn't have the head pipe connected the first time it fired up. [thumbsup]

there were two system errors, a pressure sensor, and a immobilizer antenna error. both were pretty easy to fix. the sensor was just a bad connection. the antenna was the result of some crash damage. every new bike with the immobilizer has a little ring antenna mounted in the plastic shroud surrounding the ignition. when I crashed, those parts got mangled a little. I had rigged them up and put them back in place, but in doing so I somehow created a short, or was blocking the signal being transmitted from the key. so, I took it apart again, "welded" the plastic shroud back together with a soldering iron, epoxied the antenna ring in place and everything worked like new again.

after that I finished mounting all the front plastics, bled the brakes and clutch, mounted some front turn signals, buttoned up a few odds and ends....

still waiting for the screw for the tank. the tank feels pretty sturdy now, but I think if I crashed again the tank would probably come flying off. crashing sucks. I would think a flaming crash would be extra sucky.

A

·
0 Posts
b.h. said:
the b1tch runs
it's fricken loud too, I didn't have the head pipe connected the first time it fired up. [thumbsup]

there were two system errors, a pressure sensor, and a immobilizer antenna error. both were pretty easy to fix. the sensor was just a bad connection. the antenna was the result of some crash damage. every new bike with the immobilizer has a little ring antenna mounted in the plastic shroud surrounding the ignition. when I crashed, those parts got mangled a little. I had rigged them up and put them back in place, but in doing so I somehow created a short, or was blocking the signal being transmitted from the key. so, I took it apart again, "welded" the plastic shroud back together with a soldering iron, epoxied the antenna ring in place and everything worked like new again.

after that I finished mounting all the front plastics, bled the brakes and clutch, mounted some front turn signals, buttoned up a few odds and ends....

still waiting for the screw for the tank. the tank feels pretty sturdy now, but I think if I crashed again the tank would probably come flying off. crashing sucks. I would think a flaming crash would be extra sucky.
Progress!!! How easy was it to bleed the front brakes (i.e. amount of time)?

I just got off the horn from Greg and he said that he would lean the bike from side to side to allow the escape of air bubbles.

How distinct is the tank bolt? You couldn't pick up a substitute?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
maybe 5 minutes to bleed the brakes?

if air can be trapped above the bleed nipple in the master or the caliper, you can bleed them all day and not get pressure. so like Greg said, move the bars around, or orient the caliper so the bleed port is at the highest point.

leave the resivoir cover off, and top off with fluid as needed so you don't pull more air into the system. you can also tap the master/caliper with a hammer to shake any bubbles out that might be stuck. once you think it's bled, you may still have to squeeze the lever a number of times to build up pressure.

the screw is a custom shoulder screw. about as distinct as you can get when it comes to hardware.

A

·
0 Posts
Thanks! So are you gonna make the trip to Tennessee? We were talking about stopping off at Barber too.

R.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts