Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats going on people???? I know the weather isn't permitting us to ride every day but that doesn't mean we need to let it affect us chatting on here!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
i rode mine from myrtle beach to Charleston and back today [thumbsup]

i wish there were more activity near my end of the Carolinas too ::)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well im glad to know im not the only one riding in the weather, just wish everyone else up here would set aside the weather and just ride!

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I rode up to Lowes to watch a friend race his Legends car. A 999 passed me up off of 485 exit 52. I need some riding friends , only have 1650 miles on this bike :(

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I left the house yesterday under the canopy of bright blue, clear skies. It was sunny, and beautiful. Perfect riding weather. Got to Raleigh. Ran some errands. Came out of the place I get my coffee and there's nothing but grey, overcast foreboding draped across the sky. Since I'm still coming to terms with all the nuances of the SS, I don't want to get caught in a downpour while riding it, so I came right home. Pulled in the driveway just as the clouds broke, rays of sun blasted right through and the skies cleared right back up.

Winter weather is goofy. :-\

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
I rode to work every day last week - though I didn't ride the Duc. This weekend was dedicated to various house duties, tasks, chores, etc. Would have been nice to get the Duc out yesterday - it just wasn't in the cards.

So, after one successfull week, I'm feeling fairly confident and think I'll make an announcement here. After 40+ years, I've managed to go 1 week without a cigarette. One day at a time for a while, yet. Long live MROC!! And maybe me too.

How's that for hijacking a thread?

·
Registered
41 Posts
good job man. :) it only gets easier from now on

Soon you will be trying to avoid other peoples smoke, thats when you know you will never go back

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
hundo said:
I rode up to Lowes to watch a friend race his Legends car. A 999 passed me up off of 485 exit 52. I need some riding friends , only have 1650 miles on this bike :(
I live 5 minutes from Lowes, I would of met you there if I would of know, if you are in the area again pM me!

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
lwszabo thats good to know, becasuse If I don't start riding this thing I may as well sell it. Where do you ride?

Don

·
Registered
84 Posts
Saturday was perfect riding weather! Was out for a couple hours. Looks like a chilly couple weeks coming up :'(.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I will ride any day the weather is projected to be mostly dry and reach a high temp of at least 50 degrees. Sometimes that means riding to work in the morning when it's 32 degrees but that's alright. I rode my Triumph Saturday and eventually took it to the dealer for a headlight issue. The weather was fantastic though a bit cold around 6pm. I also went up to Matison Ducati and checked out the new 848. They've got two or three of them up there, several 1098s and a few motards. They also have three or four beautiful MVs. I need more money.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I look more at the low than the high. I just can't handle temps lower than 40 degrees (I need better gloves) :-[. I rode 1-1.5 hours Saturday and came home to find oil dripping down the filter. I changed it before Christmas and haven't had a problem in a couple hundred miles. Seal area looks fine and I can't see any punctures in the filter but I'm going to try a new one later this week.

Blackout, do you ever use Pritchard/Smithfield Road going up to Matison? I frequent that road (daily when I ride to work) and it's a blast without slow cagers around. If I can get this filter problem resolved, I may have to ride up to Matison's soon to see the goodies.

ncgt1000: Congrats on the first week! It does get easier but remember how hard it is now... it'll help you resist later. Come the end of this month, I'll be 1 year without smoking. After 16 years, the only thing that keeps me from picking up another is the memory of how hard it was to quit. Continued Success!

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Duc-Key: "Pritchard/Smithfield Road going up to Matison" - Not familiar with this road. Where can I find one end? I'm always looking for roads I haven't ridden, yet. Perhaps next week the temps will be better but this week falls outside my winter riding rules: min 30 at 7:00am, must get to 50 sometime during the day, no rain.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Nicotine cravings / demons arguing in my head / intolerance for any living creature, all seem to have calmed down this week. Last week was BAD! Don't need / want to go through that again. Believe I'll make it through to the good parts.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's Smithfield Road in Wake County, exiting south off the Knightdale bypass (US 64 East), but it's Pritchard Road in Johnston County and that's where it gets to be fun. At the moment, there's only 1-2 driveways and 1 subdivision entrance before reaching Riverwood school/subdivision but Fred Smith's developing the rest as fast as he can get his greedy little hands on it... i.e. Enjoy it while you can! It's posted at 45 mph which is pretty good for learning the road but the real fun begins at extra Hooligan speeds. >:D

Are you using any nicotine aids? I scoffed at the patch before I used it. I have to admit, it worked like a charm on the physical addiction leaving only my mental desire to smoke to deal with. For me, that's the worst part. Don't give up!

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Duc-Key: Smithfield road, other side of the county from me. I do however, know where it is. I occasionally get a ride out Poole Rd. when time & weather permitting. Goggle Maps is a great thing, isn't it?

No N aids for me. I decided those wouldn't do it for me. So, instead I simply tapered off for 5 days, convinced myself that I was not going to buy any more cigs. and laid low at home for a weekend. Wife's support was all I needed. 9 days and counting now. Seems like breaking the old associations (habits) is going to take a while. I know EXACTLY when I should lite up before setting out on the bike! ::) Not that I can do anything with that information now!

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Is this actually a second thread on the same topic? ???

I ride everyday that the roads are ice free.

Lately I've been busy taking care of Donna.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
2nd thread - same topic? I don't think so. Just kind of taking some odd twists and turns - sort of like my riding!

'. . . taking care of Donna' - as well you should. Good man, there! [clap] [clap] [clap]

·
Registered
54 Posts
Greetings from Ashe county! You're right; the roads up here are icy one day and salty the next. But we can dream, can't we?
As a Monster owner (800ie) I'm waiting for riding weather. My farm (Christmas trees and Grapes) is on one of the best twisties in these mountains and I know many, many more. With this in mind, I'm inviting any Carolina Monster people to a days riding & exploring the curves, as soon as the weather turns; usually in late March-early April.
Anybody in?
Jimmy

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
jimmy i am in for a weekend of riding, just say when and where!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts