Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in October I'm riding halfway across the country on a motorcycle. Usually I just listen to to the sound of the lovely L-Twin on the Duc, but for 23+ hours of highway time I think some tunes would be a good idea. I'm installing speakers in my new helmet to fit the bill.

It's like this one (YES, complete with chromed out bubble shield) but flat black instead of bass boat gold.

So I've got the helmet and the speakers are on the way, but here's my dilemma. I typically use my cell phone as my MP3 player, and while it does a wonderful job with that, on long road trips the battery life just isn't going to cut it on the bike with no 12v jack. So I'm going to probably buy a dedicated MP3 player for the trip. Anyone know a specific one that meets the following criteria?

- Big easy to use buttons that can be operated with leather gloves on (No capacitive touch controls)
- Tiny screen that won't eat batteries
- Cheap (it won't get used much other than this trip and the occasional long ride)
- Operates preferably on AA/AAA batteries for easy resurrection if it dies
- Preferably 4 gigs or so
- Clip so I can attach it to my cuff
- As small as possible given the other criteria

I know this fits the bill of 99% of those little cheapo players, just was looking to see if anyone had any specific recommendations.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a Sony walkman that I rode with several times and thought was great. I was easily getting 5+ hours of it if I didn't try to switch between every song. I have the 8 gig model and it was really tiny, like smaller than a credit card and about a 1/2" thick. In fact, my in-laws had given me this really cheesy wrist-cuff thing to jog with in which keys/money/etc. could be placed and the Walkman fit well in there so I could just hit the next button without having to get in my jacket. The only thing I don't like about it is that it isn't as loud as my iPhone. Still, at about $119 brand new (and cheaper off of craigslist), it's a better option than a new iPod.

In a similar vein, I had a Zune for a short period of time and LOATHED that despicable piece of electronic misery.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ended up going with a Sansa Clip+ based on the recommendation of a friend. It's friggin tiny, about the size of two postage stamps and just under a half inch thick. It holds 4gb and has an expansion slot to add more storage. It clocks in at 15 hours of battery and the clips holds very securely to my jacket. The volume control isn't the easiest thing to control with gloves on but all the other buttons are great.

At $50 it was a no brainer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Holy cow! I'll have to check that out when the Sony eventually dies. Sounds like you got an awesome deal and that thing is tiny!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Looks like a good buy...but why not just wire up a cell phone charger to your bike?
I rode my gsxr cross country and just wire a phone charger up and didn't have any issues...did the same for my gps

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Couple reasons, feel free to tell me if these can be easily overcome.

1- Where do I mount it? The small mp3 player clips to my wrist, my phone would require a mounting bracket on the bike, I'm not going to run a wire from the bike into a pocket or something like that for safety.

2- Weather. This thing is cheap and fairly water resistant. My phone isn't.

3- How did you wire up the charger? Just curious.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Couple reasons, feel free to tell me if these can be easily overcome.

1- Where do I mount it? The small mp3 player clips to my wrist, my phone would require a mounting bracket on the bike, I'm not going to run a wire from the bike into a pocket or something like that for safety.

2- Weather. This thing is cheap and fairly water resistant. My phone isn't.

3- How did you wire up the charger? Just curious.
I was on a way longer trip- so I had a tank bag. This took care of where to put it and the weather element.

I took a car charger I bought off ebay for 3 bucks, broke the plastic part that goes in the outlet and found a red and black wire.
I wired them straight to the battery with a fuse and was good to go.
The only issue with this VERY simple setup is you will kill your battery if you leave things plugged in with the bike off.

You can also get a stem mount for a phone but you will still have the weather issue. I have a gps mount thats fairly easily removable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts