Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving to northern VA soon and taking my '90 BMW 535. I am due for new tires and am not sure weather to get snows or just replace the all-season tires. I have to get to work with the car every day. Are snows necessary? Not sure what the snow season is like down there. I'm from MA, so I've driven in the snow....just not with the bimmer. What do you all think? thanks!

·
Registered
489 Posts
it doesn't snow very much. it's cold, but usually not enough appreciable precipitation to warrant snow tires, IMO.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
What she said. Really it doesn't snow enough here to warrent the expense of a winter set of rubber. Good all seasons would be a much better way to go, since you've gotta deal with the spring rains.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
do, however, pack a scraper/sweeper and some kitty litter. i lived in the DC area for 25 years, and never needed more than all-seasons. if the streets aren't plowed and there's more than 6 inches on the ground, you're not going anywhere. if they are, the all-seasons are sufficient.

also make sure to keep your car waxed and washed during the winter. all that salt will rot yer cage.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I certainly know about prepping for the snow(from MA). I'm just a little uncomfortable taking the rear wheel drive bmw to DC and using it to get to work in the winter. don't wanna have to call the boss because I'm stuck.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
rrover454 said:
I certainly know about prepping for the snow(from MA). I'm just a little uncomfortable taking the rear wheel drive bmw to DC and using it to get to work in the winter. don't wanna have to call the boss because I'm stuck.
ohhhhhh. yeah, that could be difficult. get LOTS of kitty litter and keep it in your trunk.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
the problem is that you have a rear-drive, front-engined car. seriously, put a bunch of weight in your trunk to at least put more weight over the drive wheels.

i've driven front-engined, front-drive cars through some nasty snow with minimal problems, and i've even driven rear-engined, rear-drive cars through some pretty nasty snow, but a front-engined, rear-drive car might be a bit hairy, especially if the rear is light.

you might want to get snow rears and put weight in the trunk. but check to make sure the snow tires are legal for non-snowy roads. you might also want to consider getting cheap steel wheels for the rear so that you don't have to swap back and forth...

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
good advice. I'm just toying with all of these options and trying to find out which is the most economical for me. I could get a used set of bimmer snows/wheels, or a new set of all-seasons, or jsut two rear snows for now.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I'm also a transplant, but from the midwest. I think MA probably gets as much snow as I did back home, if not more. That being said, your problem will not be getting around due to your car, it'll be getting around due to all the idiots here that don't know how to drive in .005" of snow, even with their 4-wheel drive Benz's they only go about 2 mph and still manage to wreck.

Seriously though, put some weight in the back like sandbags and be gentle with the pedal when it's slick. With a little care you can make anything move in slick conditions, it's stopping you have to think ahead about.

I made it through winters will a classic mustang with a 351 up front and about a 2 foot trunk back home, it can be done.

ps... I was not inferring that simonster was one of those idiots that can't drive here. ;D

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Greerzilla said:
ps... I was not inferring that simonster was one of those idiots that can't drive here. ;D
lol. i actually always had a 4wd second car to drive when it got really hairy. i remember days when we'd get 3 ft overnight and nobody sane was working. there would be over 1 ft of snow on the side streets, and i'd drive my wrangler with lowered tire pressures around and tow friends on skis behind me.

now i live in southern california, where people freak out and start slamming into each other if it even gets overcast. ;D

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I just remember my first winter here. I had my 4 cylinder accord and I was passing SUVs left and right when there wasn't even an inch on the road, in fact, they had already cleared what little there was. I wasn't driving fast, they were just going that slowly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.