Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I am moving to NJ from Utah in about 3 months, and I am trying to decide whether I should buy my Monster here and move it or just wait till I get there..
I am planning on pulling a UHaul trailer behind my '97 Pathfinder (I think I could squeeze a Monster in there with my other junk..)
Has anyone ever moved a Monster cross-country, and could you share experience/suggestions?

Thanks

-Wolfman

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
I have across country in a big truck...the only problem, I believe it is illegal to ship a bike inside a rental truck or enclosed rental trailer....I assume because of insurance and a gas tank? I know that uhaul does rent a open motorcycle trailer. I guess if you get a good enough deal where you are now it would be the way to go......maybe check on what's available in Jersey.....

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not talking about in your trailer.....Note it reads inside a rental truck or enclosed rental trailer. If you rent one, and you tell them you are putting a motorcycle inside they will tell you it is not allowed to put a motorcycle inside their trailers or trucks.....but this is only my experience with Penske, Budget, and Uhaul....and maybe illegal is the wrong term, but it is what they told me. As I said I assume it is an insurance problem, and that it is not an isolated incident.

·
Registered
221 Posts
if it is just 3 months...hold out, and save the trouble. i have moved a bike before...no big deal at all, NJ may have better slection than utah.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I know of three different Duc dealers in the Northern NJ area, so you may want to wait. Many used available locally as well.

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
go on... get the bike! :) you know you want to!
mine's traveled thousands of Km's on the trailer. Just a set of tie-downs off the bars (protected) to the front corners of the trailer and a bit of rope around the back wheel to stop it moving sideways. I guess you would just find a trailer with suitable tie down points when the time comes. or maybe a specialest bike mover??

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just recently moved from Ohio to Georgia and had my Monster in the back of a 25ft Penski rental truck. I do not remember reading anywhere in the paper work that it would be illegal, but then again I did not ask about it when I rented the truck.

Only problem you will find is securing the bike. At least with the truck I used there were no metal hangers inside to get your tie down hooks on. The only thing in there are those wooden railings. I ended up stopping at every rest stop to make sure the bike was not just banging around in there.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
it's illegal to speed too, but everyone does it. the rental
companies are afraid of gas leaks and the fire hazard.
get the bike if you want and move it in the truck / trailer.
who's gonna know? better yet, ride the bike and let
your better half drive the truck (mine never lets me
drive anyway).

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
I picked up my 996, and my wifes 620 using a rented inclosed trailer. In fact I told them exactly what was being hauled, and where it was being hauled from, and got no greif what so ever from anyone (uhaul) or my insurance co.(State Farm)

Personally, I'd wait on getting the bike until you move, unless of course you find a deal you can't pass up! ;D

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
....I called the national numbers for Uhaul, Budget, and Penske.....Once again no from Budget, and Penske, yes from Uhaul, if you drain your fluids.....hehe...I asked how would they know if I drained my fluids...I must have got a weird Uhaul dealer at the time, since they were the worse about putting a motorcycle in their truck or enclosed trailer for my move. The others said it is a violation of contract. So that's the update I got...seems that Uhaul would be the way to go, if you care about those liability things. I rented a Penske, and yep those wood slates seemed like they would pop off pretty easily.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Yeah, I really don't think U-Haul cares. That's how I brought my bike home from Laguna Seca last summer after my get-off, in one of those little trucks.

And, there was no secret about what I wanted the truck for. Having been dropped off by the tow truck, it was less than an hour after my low-side and I was all crashed-up looking: shredded pants, scraped-up jacket, a couple ace-bandages wrapped around me holding my dislocated shoulder/broken collarbone together, dry-ice taped to and smoking from my back.

I spent a half-hour in the U-Haul office arranging a truck, while talking to AAA on their phone over how to handle the whole deal. Probably depends on the office, but no one said squat about draining anything.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I bought a bike in NY and had it shipped to Minnesota. It cost a little less then $500 but it was pulled in an enclosed trailer that could only haul a couple of bikes and a car. I chose them because the bike was always moved by hand as opposed to being strapped down on a pallet and moved with forklift. Also, the trailer was set up so that once they strapped the bike down it wasn't moved again until it was delivered instead of those bigger companies that have to move them around constantly. I chose this company because I figured my bike had the least potential to get any sort of damage. I can find the name of this company again if your interested.

If you want to do it yourself. Uhaul does rent a motorcycle trailor however there is no protection, you have to bring the trailor back where you rented it and they "say" you can't rent it unless the trailor is loaded round trip. Too light a load wears out the trailor was the reason they gave me. Otherwise they had no problem with me renting a bigger truck and transporting it inside.

Good Luck

·
Banned
551 Posts
If the costs of tax (I don't know vehicle taxes in Utah or NJ) but you should think about that and the cost of moving the bike.

These could add significantly to the cost of the bike if you move it.

I bought my bike in Mass - shipped it to NY (payed tax) - then shipped it here (avoided tax so far). Tax and shipping are a consideration.

Plus choice - I would think that NY / NJ area have better choice than Itah. But if you think you need it now - but it now in Utah. Cost vs enjoyment is another consideration.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info. Right now I'm leaning towards buying in NJ to save the hassle of the move. It will be tough to wait a couple more months, but I've waited 26 years already, what's another 2 months right? :mad: (I don't really mean that.. I'm just lying to myself so I don't go crazy before I get the bike).

Plus, the selection really isn't very good here in Utah.. my local dealer only has 3 monsters.. a 620 dark, a yellow 620 yellow, and an S4R. I'd have to drive almost an hour to get to the other dealer in the region, and I'm not even sure he has the 800 I want. I'm sure N NJ will have better selection, and I need to look into tax/licensing cost differences between UT and NJ before the final decision.

Once again thanks for the input everybody!

-Wolfman

1 - 14 of 14 Posts