Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

how many people mount electronic device on their monster bars?

• GPS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ipod

• Satelite radio

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just built myself a really slick removable platform that mounts on a 1 piece top bar clamp for my monster and I was wondering how many people mount stuff on their bars

·
Banned
1,235 Posts
hey

post some pics, I am looking to mount cellphone and GPS or MP3 on my bar clamp.

thanks.

Q

·
Registered
483 Posts
I mounted my Garmin GPS 60cx with the garmin bicycle mount. Works great.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
qfactor said:
hey

post some pics, I am looking to mount cellphone and GPS or MP3 on my bar clamp.

thanks.

Q
here is a link to some photos on my bmw. I made a top clamp so that the whole system fits on my monster too. I use the single mount for my gps. It works on a sprung ball bearing thats locates the top and the bottom dovetail. there is a bolt that is a stopper so that the top can only slide down so far. It the the bottom bolt in the picture. The other 3 are countersunk. I will try to take some pics of the mount on my monster tomorrow. I only finished the duc mount today so I did not have time to photograph it. The whole thing come off with 1 1/4 20 bolt so if you dont wand any mount on it only takes about 10 seconds to remove it.

Mark

http://homepage.mac.com/fourperf/PhotoAlbum18.html

·
Registered
310 Posts
Dcal,

How did you mount your GPS, I put on clip ons, but still have the handle bar brackets and was thinking about mounting a GPS on them.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Glad to see I'm not the only guy on ADV Rider and the DML.... those mounts are sick! For those of us without your skills I guess Ram mounts are a good place to start. Maybe some of teh TouraTech kits can be adapted to Monsters too.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
psicorp said:
I mounted my Garmin GPS 60cx with the garmin bicycle mount. Works great.
Aren't you afraid of people stealing it?

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
i'd like to get a gps to strap down to my triple. it'd give me something to do with those four conveniently tapped holes, as i've got clip-on's and i'm not presently using them. ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi_Fi_Guy said:
Glad to see I'm not the only guy on ADV Rider and the DML.... those mounts are sick! For those of us without your skills I guess Ram mounts are a good place to start. Maybe some of teh TouraTech kits can be adapted to Monsters too.
I was thinking about doing a run of them but was unsure of how many people put gps/ipod on their monster. Tons of people do it on bmw`s. Most of the parts are the same but the top single piece bar clamp is obviously bike specific.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Ok, on my BMW i have a Garmin Streetpilot 2720 mount. I use a R-A-M mount.....for me it works really well

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
I have a top-mount steering damper so I have no room to mount anything on my triple now. Originally I was going to mount my GPS to it. Currently I have a gas cap mount I got off eBay, which in conjunction with a RAM mount I can mount my Garmin 276c GPS, video camera or iPod.

camera mount on ebay

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Once I put clipons on my bike I was left with the stock triple with the bar mount. Before I ordered a new swanky CC triple I hacked up an old mountain bike handlebar and mounted that to my stock triple I plugged the cuts ends with a pair of carbon end plugs that I got from one of my road bikes. Now I have a place to mount my ipod remote (pictured), a gps, or whatever.
Since the pic, I cut another piece only this time I made it a couple of inches longer to be able to mount more than one thing. It worked out so well I'm not going to bother getting a new top triple -

·
Registered
79 Posts
I was put off buying GPS for my bike ultimately by reading stories of units falling off the weak standard brackets. One system I looked at actually expected you to mount the unit on the mirrors! Now, I can't see much in the mirrors over about 20mph, so how long would it take for the small plastic bracket to shake itself to bits?

Some great solutions here which have inspired me to get creative. I'll probably start shopping around for GPS again having just got them out of my system. Thanks folks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts