Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be the dumbest question of the post, but I just received a carbon belly pan for my S2R1000, MY06 and it is not what I would call a glove-fit. It came with four brackets which are crudely manufactured at best. After purchasing extended screws, I fit the brackets on the engine at the right locations. I found that tightening the screws to the proper torque caused the bracket sleeves to crush. After all of this, I ended-up cutting the exhaust cut-out to prevent rubbing. Also, I had to make an extension (stand-off) for the left-front mount point. Is this typical? Also, the pan is under stress from tightening the mount screws. Is this also typical? Additionally, I had similar problems with the carbon fiber timing belt covers. PS I love my Ducati, It is my favorite bike to ride.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I don't have the belly pan (yet) for my S2R, but have had terrible fitment issues with my DP belt covers and tail kit. The belt cover holes did not line up with each other when aligned to the mounting holes and the tail piece is cockeyed when installed and all the studs are snugged down. For the belt covers I used a reamer to elongate the holes to get the two pieces to align and line up with the mounting holes. For the tail piece, well it's still a little cockeyed.

I bought a Shift-Tech rear hugger and it fits like a glove, I wish they made more pieces so I could avoid DP carbon fiber pieces. I love my Ducati too, but the DP carbon pieces just suck.

Marty

·
Banned
2,007 Posts
i have a d/p belly pan and it came with the four brackets and the proper allen bolts. it fit fine though i had to fit it loose and tighten it up after making sure it was located properly. i take it off everytime i change the oil and a bit of practise helps get it located right.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Your experience sounds almost exactly like mine...here is a link to the rather extensive post I wrote describing the ordeal I went through to mount mine.

http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=39734.msg460472#msg460472

That said, I think it is a sharp addition to the machine. I really like it but Ducati should at least put some instructions in the box and the longer bolts needed!!

·
Registered
890 Posts
I just bolted mine on loosely at first. Once I had the brackets where I wanted them I torqued them down. Now when I change my oil the brackets stay on when I drop the cowl.

no additional parts needed or cutting

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all that responded. I finished mounting the belly pan today and if is easy to remove and re-assembly. I ended-up machining custom stand-offs on the lathe, and I added a convex shape at the end of the stand-off which interfaces with the carbon fiber. This allows me to tighten the mounting screws against the carbon fiber (CF) without placing a moment on the CF. I did find that the exhaust sensor cable was impeding the mounting process, but all is well now. As for the looks, it changed the profile is a good way. I like the “naked” concept, but it adds an exoskeleton appearance with strategic armor. I also placed a 3-D Ducati CORSE badge on the side of the belly opposite the side stand. It shows nicely when the bike is on the stand. Last, I made a new friend at my local Ducati dealership. I am new to Ducati’s and I was pleased to find that the dealership (Erico Motor Sports of Denver) allowed me to enter the shop to discuss the issue with Dominic, the mechanic. He actually pulled each screw off a machine, measured them and placed them back (with Never-Seize). If I had asked for that kind of help (and I have) at my local [email protected]#a shop, I would have been laughed out the door.

Take care all. PS Wear a helmet so you can live to show-off your scars

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.