Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a MotoWheels clutch slave and can say that I'm truly impressed and pleased with it. The build quality is superb. The feel is awsome; much lighter pull and easier to modulate when taking off from a stop (no more bucking :)).

The installation was easy and straightforward. First I drained the system with my Mighty Vac (worth it's weight in gold). Disconnected the line from the old slave and removed it. Installed the new slave. Here's a little trick for anybody planning on doing this. I took an eyedropper and filled the slave with brake fluid up to the threads for the banjo bolt (kinda like priming it). Re-attached the line with the original banjo/bleeder using new crush washers. Topped up the master cylinder and did the initial bleeding with the Mighty Vac. Followed that up by manually bleeding the system. Took about 30 to 45 minutes to get all the air out of the system.

Now for the caveat. Make sure you know which pushrod (long or short) your bike has before you install the slave. According to MotoWheels pre '01 bikes have the short pushrod. That's not the case. My bike is a '98 M750 and has the long pushrod. I originally installed the adaptor for the short pushrod and when I let the clutch out to check engagement nothing happened. ??? The bike did not move at all. The clutch wouldn't engage. :( Fortunately I polished the adaptor to within an inch of it's life just in the off chance I had to remove it. I removed the adaptor and pumped the system (after re-installing the slave), adding fluid for the added space from the piston moving out. The system now works perfectly. ;D

This is a mod I can't recommend enough. 8)

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Pics?

Motowheels makes their own clutch slave now? Or is that an STM like on the Motowheels sponsored bike of the month?

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
The Motowheels one is OEM for them by evoluzione.net. Which I believe is the same item that I used to sell that was made for LP-USA by evoluzione.net. If you're a business and buy 10 or more from Ken, he'll put your logo on it.

:) Chris

G

·
hrm

i'm considering this as my next mod. Went riding new years eve since it was nice and warm here. Got stuck in traffic, really crappy stop and go stuff. First time on the Duc in that. Took 25 minutes to go about 1 mile. Afterwards my hand felt like i had run it over.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Is 35-40 minutes normal to bleed a new clutch slave? When I installed my Yoyodyne unit (purchased from Chris at Cycleworks ;D ), it took about 10 minutes with a Mity Vac. And it was the first time I had ever attempted it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
When I put on my Evo slave (same as the MotoWheels slave...as far as I know) last year, it took me about a half hour to bleed the sumbitch using a vacuum pump.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm definitly interested in doing this mod. but when i picked up my bike from the dealer after it's 600 mi service i asked about doing it and he said they had so many problems with them leaking and having a hard time getting replacement parts that they stopped carrying them.(european cycle in garden grove ca.) anyone heard anything like this?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I'm definitly interested in doing this mod. but when i picked up my bike from the dealer after it's 600 mi service i asked about doing it and he said they had so many problems with them leaking and having a hard time getting replacement parts that they stopped carrying them.(european cycle in garden grove ca.) anyone heard anything like this?
Get the Yoyodyne unit from Chris at CA-Cycleworks.... comes with instructions and gets very few complaints.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I've had my EVO unit on over a year now, probably 6K+ miles with no issues whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts

G

·
I've never had a problem with evoluzione customer support. We sell alot of their products here too. Replacement parts are easy to get, but we really don't need them.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've had my evol for six months and 4k miles, no problems so far.

G

·
What's wrong with the Yoyodyne guys? I got mine straight from them and they were very helpful. I thought they were very nice folks.
How bad can they be? Any Buckaroo Bonzai fan crazy enough to name their company and products after the movie can't be all bad.

;D ;D ;D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts