Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a 2006 Paul Smart 1000LE... Not really a monster, but technically (engine, electrical, transmission, clutch, etc) almost identical to S2R 1000.

So hopefully i get some suggestions here.

Was riding to work today, and as i was cruising on the highway at my usual cruising speed (75-80) the bike just shut off.. dead. It would not restart.

Nothing indicated there was going to be an issue before it happened. Prior to the incident, there were no issues with the way the bike ran, there was no hesitation, no misfiring, nothing. The bike ran as always...

At first i thought i was out of gas, but then i realized that i have only ran 87 miles since the last fill up and the bike does run on average of 115-120 miles before the low fuel light even comes on. And then with the light on, the farthest I've been able to go is 12 miles. Also i opened the gas cap and moved the bike side to side and I could hear the fuel splashing in the tank.

I couldn't hear any "funny" noises from the engine either.

There are no apparent electrical issues, i.e. all lights come on, etc

There is only one smallish reported issue with the bike, it does take 3-4 cranks to start as opposed to my monster that starts with 1 crank, but i am contributing this to my Paul Smart being just a tad lean.

The bike is currently at my dealer, hopefully they will be able to troubleshoot it tomorrow and let me know what is happening. But in the mean time i figured I'd pick your brains here. I mean the warranty ran out about nine months ago and i am bracing for the bill.

As far as mods are concerned i have Termignoni system with DP ECU and air-box, everything else installed on the bike is "bling"

Cheers and thanks in advance for all your help.

·
Registered
663 Posts
1st step is to check voltage at battery, may be enough to run lights, not enough to run bike, if low, think voltage regulator

·
Registered
635 Posts
1st step is to check voltage at battery, may be enough to run lights, not enough to run bike, if low, think voltage regulator
+1 on those, have them check the starter solenoid.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem Solved!

Last night got a word from my dealer that the problem was caused by a piece of fuel line that connects the fuel pump to the fuel filter inside the tank.

Its an "under-designed" piece of braided fuel hose about 2 inches long that seems to be too stiff for the task, but the main issue is the clamp type and material that Ducati chose to use. The clamp is too soft and can't withstand the time. Over time it causes the fuel line to get disconnected from the fuel filter and this causes the fuel pump to circulate fuel inside the tank and therefore switch fuel supply off.

Ducati is aware of this and there is even a recall out for all Sport classics, yrs 06-07, and even the same issue exists with the Street fighter. Only on the street fighter the fuel line connection that seems to fail is outside the fuel tank, at one of the injectors, not at at the fuel filter....

In any rate, all work was covered under Ducati's emissions warranty and i am back on the road!

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Hey eugene you already having problems on your bike. ah that blows.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hey eugene you already having problems on your bike. ah that blows.
Hey Pete,

No big deal man. They knew what was happening right off the bat. Even Ducati is aware of this. Ducati tried to fix this with the recall on 2007, but i apparently it just wasn't done on my bike.

So i had it taken care of last night.

BTW, i need a ride to Speed's on Saturday to pickup the bike. Do you have time on Saturday?

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
**** man my bad i wasnt in the local area. and sorry i missed your call, work has been killin me. but hey im off thursday till sunday so if you wanna hang let me know?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts