Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Motorcycle Pricing!! PLEASE READ AND INFORM ME also what is a jetted motor

1K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  spidey 
#1 ·
hey guys.. i'm new to the motorcycle world... but my first bike is surely going to be a ducati monster.. no doubt about it... i love this site.. i've been on here every day for the last week or two.. and although i get lost in some of the lingo etc.. it has taught me a ton

one thing i've been wondering about it pricing... now when i go on kellybluebook or the nada (both top automotive pricing sites) and i start looking prices of motorcycles i tend to find their prices a few thousand below what the typical seller is asking.. and i just don't get it.. when i search like a 2002 ducati monster 650 the average price on NADA.com or KBB.com says that model should be priced around 3300...
well i haven't seen a single ducati on here, cycletrader, or ebay (or anywhere else for that matter) for 3300 dollars.. why does it always tend to be 1000 to 5000 dollars more expensive than they are supposed to be priced on "THE" top pricing guide sites

Now my other question kind of relates to the last one... i search on THIS website (which i've found to be the best), cycletrader.com and ebay for ducati monsters... MONSTERS ARE A TOUGH FIND.. (i guess their riders are a rare breed [thumbsup]) I am going to college in las vegas and i spend my break time off of college in south dakota (chances of finding one in south dakota 0% hahaha)
DO YOU GUYS HAVE ANY OTHER RESOURCES???? any other ways of looking for monsters and trying to get a decent price?? I'm hoping to get a 2000+ model monster for under 4500 dollars... is that going to be possible.. where should i look.. news? magazines you know of? other classifieds websites??

thanks a ton for the help.. i know i'm a NOOBIE but your time and patience is appreciated.. pass your knowledge on to a new and young rider...

-Christian

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Motorcycle Pricing!! PLEASE READ AND INFORM ME

4500 is quite reasonable, you can find something, you just have to wait and keep an eye out. You're already looking in the right places.

You should add www.craigslist.org to that list though. and ebay

fwiw, there's definitely a 'floor' price on most motorcycles (and definitely see that on ducatis), especially if they've never been wrecked. Not to mention that supply and demand have a lot to do with how much the bikes are worth.

those pricing guides should just be used as a reference and a good-to-know kind of thing, what you find in your particular area can be vastly different

#3 ·

As hiero said, keep a close eye on Craigs List. I found my '98 M900 in perfect shape with low miles for $3,200.

-Danimal

#4 ·

Yeah KBB and NADA aren't terribly useful for motorcycling pricing. The motorcycle market is so much different than the car market b/c its very sensitive to season and location.

For instance if you try to buy a Ninja 250 in June on ebay, you'd be hard pressed to have a reasonable bid last for more than an hour before someone outbids you, especially if the example you like is in good shape and is located in Socal. Worse, 1-2 y/o Ninja's sell near retail during this time. :p

I think KBB and NADA may have anticipated a large drop in all Ducati values as the fire-sale of 999's and 749's begins in preparation for the 1098. Who knows, the winter has barely begun and the 1098's haven't even made it to U.S. showrooms yet, I wouldn't get too discouraged yet, there are 4 months of snow ahead. Plus, Californians can't even bid on bikes outside of Cali with under 7500 miles (i think) so it doesn't matter how long the riding season lasts out there.

#5 ·

mylexicon said:
Plus, Californians can't even bid on bikes outside of Cali with under 7500 miles (i think) so it doesn't matter how long the riding season lasts out there.
Nope. Under 7500 is ok for used/new monsters as long as they have the CA emissions sticker. Modern monsters are all to CA emissions spec.

#7 ·

Spidey said:
Nope. Under 7500 is ok for used/new monsters as long as they have the CA emissions sticker. Modern monsters are all to CA emissions spec.
How do you know whether or not the bike has the emissions sticker if it was sold to someone outside of Cali? Do they have a website where you can check which models are ok and which aren't?

Kingpinup, I looked on KBB and I think you were reading the trade in values. Imo, trade in value is what the bike is worth if you're willing to get screwed to avoid a private sale. So I think it reflects a really low-ball number. Normally, the private seller price is somewhere between retail (4,800) and trade-in (3,330). I would imagine most monster numbers will be closer to $4,800

#8 ·

mylexicon said:
How do you know whether or not the bike has the emissions sticker if it was sold to someone outside of Cali? Do they have a website where you can check which models are ok and which aren't?
The sticker is on the frame and under the seat. Yours has one. Take a look. Dunno 'bout a website.

#10 ·

Spidey said:
The sticker is on the frame and under the seat. Yours has one. Take a look. Dunno 'bout a website.
Mine doesn't have that sticker, nor does it meet emmission.

oh yeah... I did that.

#11 ·

hey guys thanks for the help... nada.com is much lower then kbb too... but anyways.. also i was wondering how much it usually costs to ship a bike lets say half way across the country .. also i know winter is low price months.. but which do you find to be the lowest? Just wondering

oh yeah and to anyone that's ever used the "monsters wanted" page... has anyone been successful or is it more for like finding bike mods etc....

#12 ·
what does it mean if "the motor has been jetted".. also.. do some monsters come with the seat to fit two as a stock option.. or is that a customization when i see monsters that could carry a passenger.. i know.. stupid questions.. but i'm new...

#13 ·
Jetting is for carbeurated bikes. Carbs have "jets" in them that determine fuel flow. Basically, it should mean the bike has been properly tuned and someone bought the appropriate size jet kit (not super cheap). Fuel injected bikes are not jetted because the fuel flow and fuel air mixture is controlled by a computer. For anything more specific, you'll want to ask someone who has more moto knowledge than me, i.e., someone who can tell the difference between the front and rear wheel.

All monsters are 2-up. The ones that look like they don't have a passenger seat have a plastic cover--called a cowl--over the part of the seat where the passenger sits. Some monsters come with a cowl and some don't. If you find one that doesn't have a cowl, you can purchase one, but they're a coupla hundred bucks, I think.

Edit: make sure you know whether you're looking at a fuel injected or carbed monster.

#14 ·
Just a few things I don't think anyone else mentioned yet.

Don't be afraid of the older bikes. I was able to get my bike in 2004 when she was 5 years old already, but I promise, I've had much less trouble with her than some have with much newer bikes. So, as long as the bike has been garaged and has no signs of misuse (especially if they can produce the service records), you can find some pretty good deals.

Regarding carb'd versus FI, 1999 was the last production year of carb'd Monsters.

The 620 market can be a little weird in places. Of all the bikes, it is more common to find a 620 as a starter bike than all the other Monsters, for obvious reasons. For this reason, it is more common to find people who bought the bike, but for whatever reason, decided not to ride in the long-term. So they're trying to get every penny out of it that they possibly can, since they feel they didn't get any enjoyment out of it. You can pick these out pretty easily, since they usually haven't even made it through the break-in period. These bikes are great, if properly stored, but beware of the low-speed drops. There may be little bits of damage here and there that you may miss, unless you know what you're looking for. An example of this would be someone spinning a fork tube around to hide a scuff.

Good luck in your search! You won't be disappointed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.