Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if a motor from a 748 would fit in a 2000 monster frame. I know I would have to fab mounts for the raidiator and misc accessories. I also would swap over to a single sided swingarm at the same time. Is this a realistic project. I know it would be easier to buy an s4, but I like to fabricate and want to keep my curent bike. Just wonering if it would fit.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
frame boss locations for the mounting bolts will fit but the 748/916/996 have taller cylinder heads than the st4/st4s/s4 motors. this leads to two potential clearance problems. one is tank fitment and the other is front wheel clearance.
also not sure with the pre'02 frames if there'd be a clearance issue for the throttle bodies where that part of the frame runs from left to right under the airbox.
not impossible i don't think, but stuffing an s4's motor (*wink* *wink*) would be easier to do and would give you more cc's. you'd also be able to use your existing swingarm, rear suspention, rear wheel (which is good or bad, depending on your project goals).
ready for the spam?
i'm planning on selling my s4's motor to buy a 998 motor for a transplant (yes... i've got problems. mental ones!). i'm planning on doing this next winter when the price of a 998 motor should go down, but if opportunity knocks (*wink wink*), i'll reconsider my timeline.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
I thought S4 has normal 916 heads, not dropped cams heads that are on ST4, which are made solely for WSB homolgation, but never put into use. Swingarm pivot is at different height in 748, too.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
i'm planning on selling my s4's motor to buy a 998 motor for a transplant (yes... i've got problems. mental ones!). i'm planning on doing this next winter when the price of a 998 motor should go down, but if opportunity knocks (*wink wink*), i'll reconsider my timeline.
All the 998 motors are Testastrettas, right?

What's the height of the Testastretta head like, compared to a 916?

M.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
why do you just buy a used 996 or 998 and put monster tank and seat instead?

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
I thought S4 has normal 916 heads, not dropped cams heads that are on ST4, which are made solely for WSB homolgation, but never put into use. Swingarm pivot is at different height in 748, too.
The ST4, ST4s, S4, S4R, and even the later (2002-3) 748 and 748S all have the heads with the lowered exhaust cam (.46" lower above the exhaust cam).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts