Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to change my oil and in the manual it says to just use a highly detergent, good 10W40. Now does this mean i can use a mobil 1 synthetic oil that i can get at any auto parts store???
What kind of filter do yall suggest aswell. I was just planning on just getting a k&n filter for my 99 750 Dark. Does anyone know what part # that is for the k&n filter, and how much does the bike hold? The manual says it holds .871 liters for my 750. any easy way to get .871 liters in the bike.
thanx for the help.

Jay
ct

·
Registered
153 Posts
Jay,

I had similar questions about running the Mobil 1 in my bike but I have the 900 with dry clutch.

Some will tell you that Mobil 1 will be fine, but I'd stick to the motorcycle specific oils epsecially with your wet clutch 750.

As far as the .87654321 liters of oil goes, just use the sight glass (following the recommeded procudure) rather than trying to measure out an exact amount of oil.

I don tknow the p/n on the K&N.

Good luck.

Jeff

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
now what type of motorcycle oil do you recomend, and where can i get some good prices on the oil???

thanx again

jay

·
Registered
132 Posts
Motorcycle oils have higher levels of anti wear compounds. Automotive oils are required to have higher friction reducing compounds for improved gas milage and thus emmissions. I know anti wear and friction reducers sounds the same, but there are differences

Amsoil and golden spectra are the two big makers. Some brand specific oils such as BMW DINO and others are made by these 2 companies as well. You should be able to get these from any local motorcycle shop.

The oils are not cheap but they should be better in a motorcycle engine.

·
Registered
346 Posts
As far as the .87654321 liters of oil goes
Are you sure about the .876 liters of oil ?
0.876 liters = 0.192 gallon
That's not a lot... You probably mean 0.876 gallon?
I personally use Shell Helix Ultra in my 1999 M750 Dark...

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You r right, it was gallons, read the wrong one, but filling the bike up i will just use the clear sight on the side. well see how it goes.

jay

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Ive been using Schaffer Oil in my bikes. Have not had a problem in any of my bikes with it.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Has any one used mobil 1 with a wet clutch???
I have never had a bike with a wet clutch, and dont know if this will affect it.

jay

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
I agree with the others about using a motorcycle specific oil in the 750 mainly because of the wet clutch. I would also use a commonly available oil (ie from a service station (petrol station ??? what do you call them in the US?) so that touring and oil use is not a problem. Changing oil reguarly is the most important aspect (within reason of course!) so a decent common oil is more than enough.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Once again, I'm a total non-conformist here, but I like regular Valvolene, changed every 800 miles or so.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sounds like I'll be running Mobil 1...

For the same amount of money I could change it twice as often.

I still wonder about clutch issues for you wet-clutch guys though.

Jeff

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just cant find any info on oils that talk about having a wet clutch. The closest motorcycle store is a honda place and they have their own oil. Does anyone know about the honda oil and if it is any good, or if it can be used with a wet clutch, and if it is a highly detergent oil. They have a few different types, but they said nothing about being a highly detergent oil or use with a wet clutch.

So here we go again with this.

jay

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
Hang on.
Dont MOST bikes have a wet clutch??
oil designed for motorcycles should be fine in a bike with a wet clutch.
I've been using Mobil1 (car oil) in my DR 650's with no ill clutch effects.
I use Golden Spectro 4 in the ducs....mostly because my local cycle gear carries it in gallon jugs, and i can get extra quarts at any of the local bike shops.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hang on.
Dont MOST bikes have a wet clutch??
oil designed for motorcycles should be fine in a bike with a wet clutch.
I've been using Mobil1 (car oil) in my DR 650's with no ill clutch effects.
Oil designed for motorcycles will be fine for the wet clutch, I guess the questions are: is non-motorcycle oil o.k. for the wet clutch, and is there any benefit to motorcycle oils if you have a dry clutch?

I'm not sure that the fact that a DR650 clutch doesnt slip indicates how a Duc will behave. I'd imagine that a M750 with a few mods and sticky street tires would put a lot more force on a clutch than a dual-sport 650 single.

Not that I'm knocking the DR, I had one and really liked it actually, but its not exactly a powerhouse.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
I think the 2 differences with motorcycle specific oil are that it is designed to not break down as quickly, especially in bikes where oil is doing engine and transmission duty.
and it is not made too slippery for the clutch.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Motorcycle oils are supposed to have ingredients specifically to make them work better in the transmission. Car engines don't usually have lots of highly loaded gears, so car oil is different.

Motorcycle oils also are tailored to not goof up the performance of the wet clutch.

I once put Castrol car oil in my XV920R ( wet clutch ) motor.
Awful. Clutch was grabby and trans was balky.

Switched to Spectro 4, trans was good, clutch was good.
Never looked back.
I've run it in every 4-stroke moto I've had since, and been sastisfied with the performance.

I'm sure the H*nda Oil is fine, too. I don't think that H*nda ever made a dry clutch streetbike, so their oil should be fine for your wet clutch bike.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts