Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

841 - 860 of 864 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys, I have a 1999 Ducati 900ss that has a front blown cylinder and i pretty much figured that i would do an engine swap on it all together. My bike is fuel injected. What all year 900ss engines will fit my bike direct swap? any help would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hey this oil thing is at times weird, last I bought Shell Advance 10W40 oil for my M620, noticed, for the first time that this oil is graded as SG while the rest of the oils that I've used, Repsol and Bel Ray are SL.

Why should I continue using Shell if it is rated a 'lesser' grade than the others I have available?

Thanks for any input

·
Super Moderator
3,915 Posts
Hey this oil thing is at times weird, last I bought Shell Advance 10W40 oil for my M620, noticed, for the first time that this oil is graded as SG while the rest of the oils that I've used, Repsol and Bel Ray are SL.

Why should I continue using Shell if it is rated a 'lesser' grade than the others I have available?

Thanks for any input
You actually want the SG rating; it's better for bikes. SL and other more recent ratings include additives that are good for cars, but are not good for motorcycles, since we have engine oil in our transmissions and clutches (if you have a wet clutch model) and those extra additives aren't good for those components.

PhilB

·
Registered
635 Posts
philb,

thanks for your answer, but, both oils I mentioned are 'motorcycle oils' Repsol Moto 4T 10W40 Synthetic, http://mercalubricantes.com/REPSOL-MOTO-SPORT-4T-10W40 [must say this is the recommended oil by Repsol] but the availability here is of the full synthethic type, this one, http://mercalubricantes.com/epages/ea9617.sf/es_ES/?ObjectPath=/Shops/ea9617/Products/RP160N51 and Bell Ray EXS 10W40 also Synthetic, which is API SM rated ... http://www.belray.com/bel-ray-exs-synthetic-ester-4t-engine-oil

Now, you're not at fault, I'm a bit more confused by the knowledge that I should use the API SG, instead of newer tech oils.

And yes, I do ride a M620 with wet clutch ... I change oil and filter every 5000kms and only oil every 2500kms due to the fact of the amount of time I spend in traffic

·
Registered
14 Posts
Drain Plug Magnets that work

In addition to picking the right oil.... it's worth considering the addition of a high powered magnetic drain plug from Dimples. See this for Ducati info:http://www.drainplugmagnets.com/ducatimotorcycles.php These plugs are incredibly powerful and do not lose power under high temperatures... As good as the best oil filters are.... these plugs load up with metal bits the filter just can't get. Very cool product.
BlueStrada
Just got a new S2R not long ago & will change the oil every 5000km
after each service done by the Ducati shop.

What do you use for motor oil: I will use Moble1 V-Twin.
Why do you use this oil: Allways been happy with Moble1 in my cars [thumbsup]

·
Registered
42 Posts
How much liquid gold goes in my 2005 S2R

Greetings Ducs & Geese:

How much oil (in quarts, please) goes into my 2005 S2R 800. Just bought an oldie but goodie? For the record, I will use Amsoil 10 W 40.

Thanks!

Flynlo
Hong Kong

·
Registered
181 Posts
just working into my first diy oil change so I decided to do some reading up on the knowledge base... this sticky truly is a treasure trove for oil information. Skimmed the first page then arbitrarily jumped to around p7 and was wow-ed by the discussion thereafter. George's contributions are outstanding and noteworthy. May be gone, but not to be forgotten. Giving thanks were thanks are due. Required reading for anyone interested in understanding the basics for choosing an oil and type.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Greetings Ducs & Geese:

How much oil (in quarts, please) goes into my 2005 S2R 800. Just bought an oldie but goodie? For the record, I will use Amsoil 10 W 40.

Thanks!

Flynlo
Hong Kong
3 qts and a quater of a quarter ... or 3.25Qts ... you got oil cooler? if yes, 4.25qt

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey guys, i've read this thread up to page 40 so far, but i'm to eager to know about our local lube oil here in malaysia.. if anyone can answer, which group category is this one? III or IV? need confirmation from expert here

Characteristics SAE 10W-40
Density @ 15 °C, kg/l 0.8693
Pour Point, °C -39
Flash Point, °C 242Kinematic Viscosity, cSt
@ 40 °C 91.88
@ 100 °C 14.7
Viscosity Index 168
Cold Cranking Viscosity @ -25, cP 4271
TBN, mg KOH/g 9.87

and this is the engine oil I mentioned

their WEBSITE

another option in our local shop here is like FUCHS SIKOLENE, MOTUL & MAXIMA... are the one above in par with these 3 brands? we've no access to MOBIL 1 here

·
Registered
143 Posts
I put harddrive super magnets in my screen they work awsome and i slap a few on my oil filter but i have always done this with my truck they are every where every hard drive i throw away i pull the magnets out takes about 5 min and they are ultra strong so be carefull with them o and since this is the oil thred i use mobil one 2V 20-50 for my ducati monster 1100 2009

·
Registered
1 Posts
Motor oil

Ducati America insisted that I use Shell premium and change the oil every 1000 miles, But I don,t buy oil from a gas station for anything I drive

·
Registered
14 Posts
In case I didn't put this info in here... www.drainplugmagnets.com has new drain plugs with magnets (EXTREMELY High powered) for that purpose. He also has taken the same magnets an put them in a frame (to prevent from breaking if dropped) that go on the oil filter... Excellent work for sure... retired Rocket Engineer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Please which 10W-40 full synthetic (group IV or V) oil could I buy for my monster 1000DS here in Europe?
There is no possible to buy Mobil 1 MX4T 10W-40 full synth.
I found only Fuchs silkolene PRO4 10W-40 full synth, but it is on "ester" base (I found in this thread, that ester base oils binds water = problem in winter with corrosion)
Any suggestion, please ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
No answer, so I found Shell advance ultra 10W-40,they declare that it is full synthetic, do you think is it true, and is it really suitable for our engines?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
It seems that best choice for our engines seems to be some high quality fully synthetic 10w-40 oil.
Mobil 1 (full synth 10W-40) is not avalaible in Europe, so I ordered Shell ultra 10W-40 full synth.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyone tried Liqui Moly in their monsters before? Would like to hear some reviews and feedback on this German oil.
Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It seems that best choice for our engines seems to be some high quality fully synthetic 10w-40 oil.
Mobil 1 (full synth 10W-40) is not avalaible in Europe, so I ordered Shell ultra 10W-40 full synth.
That meets the spec fine and I believe its what the factory recommend. I have a shell sticker on my 696 from a dealership or factory.

Leroy

841 - 860 of 864 Posts