Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 864 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new S2R not long ago & will change the oil every 5000km
after each service done by the Ducati shop.

What do you use for motor oil: I will use Moble1 V-Twin.
Why do you use this oil: Allways been happy with Moble1 in my cars [thumbsup]

·
Registered
477 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Noted you mention using Mobil 1 V-Twin. Highly recommend you consider Mobil 1 MX4T 10W-40. Mobil 1 V-Twin is fine for slower turning engines such as most V-Twins. In our higher RPM engines, the use of a 40W full synthetic is much a much more optimum viscosity oil.
George Morrison, STLE CLS

·
Registered
374 Posts
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does it really matter, for the eleventyeventysheventyqueventyzillabillonth time, you
should use a specific mixture of ostridge lard, astro lube, and extra extra VIRGIN olive oil
(italian of course). oh yeah, we've discussed oil a couple of times.

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
Holy Monster Batman . . .

No one told me I had to sacrifice Virgins to the bike . . . that explains a few things . . . >:D

·
Registered
374 Posts
A little virginal sacrifice NEVER hurts much.

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
The irony of our posting back to back with me "The Great Horned One" and you the EvilTwin is just cracking me up!!! [laugh]

T

·
0 Posts
Georgecls said:
Noted you mention using Mobil 1 V-Twin.  Highly recommend you consider Mobil 1 MX4T 10W-40.  Mobil 1 V-Twin is fine for slower turning engines such as most V-Twins.  In our higher RPM engines, the use of a 40W full synthetic is much a  much more optimum viscosity oil.   
Choice of viscosity depends on ambient though George? Also, Mobil don't agree with your comment about their V-Twin oil. I recognise your qualifications of course.

·
Registered
338 Posts
EvilTwin said:
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does it really matter, for the eleventyeventysheventyqueventyzillabillonth time, you
should use a specific mixture of ostridge lard, astro lube, and extra extra VIRGIN olive oil
(italian of course). oh yeah, we've discussed oil a couple of times.
[laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

Amsoil baby!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yes Great Horned One (aka ODR) 'tis sweet irony, seperated at birth, only reunited now after all these years. Finally, I have someone I can relate too (about 18inch trousercondas of course). Tell me how do you keep yours from getting caught in your wheels when you ride?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Those duders at amsoil must have a lot of ostridge farms.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yes, 50W is fine for John Deere Tractors, but not so fine for our engines... But that is from a lube engineer's perspective......... We want to optimize viscosity for the RPM's the engine will be seeing.. Remember, our engines are NOT V-twins as defined by Harley Davidson but much higher revving, higher performance in every respect, with very different lubrication needs.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Georgecls said:
Yes, 50W is fine for John Deere Tractors, but not so fine for our engines... But that is from a lube engineer's perspective......... We want to optimize viscosity for the RPM's the engine will be seeing.. Remember, our engines are NOT V-twins...
If our engines are not V-twins, they are certainly L-twins. In the perspective of a lube engineer what is high rpm?

·
Super Moderator
3,916 Posts
Georgecls said:
Remember, our engines are NOT V-twins... 
Yes they are. It's two-cylinders, in a 90º vee; that makes it a V-twin.

The whole oil controversy is overrated and overthought. Get any decent quality synthetic or semi-synthetic that is formulated for motorcycle use, in the weight your manual recommends. Change it regularly (about 3-4000 miles), and the filter every second oil change, and don't fret about it.

philb

·
Registered
505 Posts
Georgecls said:
Yes, 50W is fine for John Deere Tractors, but not so fine for our engines...  But that is from a lube engineer's perspective.........  We want to optimize viscosity for the RPM's the engine will be seeing..   Remember, our engines are NOT V-twins... 
So, do you have any advise?

T

·
0 Posts
Georgecls said:
Yes, 50W is fine for John Deere Tractors, but not so fine for our engines...  But that is from a lube engineer's perspective......... 
Nobody suggested using a monograde oil though George?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Re: 50W.. No, we are never talking single grades anymore, just lazy typing on my part. Should have been more exacting in saying a 15W-50 ot 20W-50 but both oils ARE true 50 weight oils at engine operating temperatures. Slipped into engineering talk of operational viscosities...
My reference that our Ducati engines are not V-twins (L-Twin) was tongue in cheek, moreover with the intent of differentiation that our engines are NOT of the HD, Yamaha cruiser, etc. ilk.. Our engines are high speed engines optimized for XXW-40 visosities, vs the slower turning HD V-twin (and of course John Deere Tractors of old) need the XXW-50 viscosity..
As a lube engineering concept, the faster the component, the lower the viscosity required to achieve optimum fluid dynamics. The slower the component (HD), the thicker the viscosity needed to achieve optimum interelationship with bearing surfaces.
The viscosity issue is one of the ongoing battles I have to deal lwith as the mentality of "if two asperins are good, four must be better" applied to "if 10W40 is good then 15W-50 must be better" In most cases it is not... The thicker oil robs horsepower, creates unwanted heat (especially in an air cooled engine), and can/will cause accelerated bearing interface wear as the oil simply cannot keep up with the bearing face speeds.

1 - 20 of 864 Posts