Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone watch the Moto GP qualifying and notice how the top guys are letting their leg out while setting up for the corners? They stick their inside leg out dirt-track / motocross style, then put their foot back on the peg and drag their knee thru the corner. Scott Russell said they've been trying different things like knee down, knee not-down, leg out. Does anyone know more info on how the guys came across this new technique and what it is supposed to do for them? ???

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rossi, started doing that about a year ago. The trend has caught on since then. The only thing I could come up with is that its a quick stretch before the lean off the bike.

Correct me if I am wrong but I dont see them do it on right handers only left handers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
in motocross you do it to get more weight on the front and better balance yourself when braking the front hard or for a quick dab on the ground should the front tire lock for a second. they probably do it for the same reason. you can only do it left because they use the rear brake on the right.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was watching Rossi today and saw him hanging his legs off into either turn, right or left. I believe they have thumb brakes for the rear as well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It's actually not a new technique. Kevin Schwantz was doing it at Laguna Seca in 1992. It's one of those riding trends that comes and goes. Back then, he stated that he didn't even realize he was doing it until someone from the press pointed it out.
Rossi was definitely hanging both right & left legs yesterday.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have read different things about this one. One says it's a balance move to help set up the bike for the turn. Another says it's a way the riders relax their bodies a bit. Then another says they stick their leg out in the wind to help scrub off speed..

You choose, I don't know.. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts