Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,309 Posts
I was going to say something about pics, but then I realized GB is sporting an avatar of what was... :'(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,309 Posts
KnightofNi II said:
did you guys get into a tiff? ???

mother's still around right?
GB moved to Europe and Mom's jealous.
I believe Mom's still around, he just works way more than is healthy.
We might be able to tempt him down some time by waving al-kee-hal and unspeakables under his nose.

You get a dual sport yet?
I love mine. Thumpers kick ass, as long as you don't want to go very fast.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,219 Posts
toolfan said:
GB moved to Europe and Mom's jealous.
I believe Mom's still around, he just works way more than is healthy.
We might be able to tempt him down some time by waving al-kee-hal and unspeakables under his nose.

You get a dual sport yet?
I love mine. Thumpers kick ass, as long as you don't want to go very fast.
ahhhh. mom misses his friend. how precious. ;D


not yet, but soon.
i'm trying to convince myself that i can live without a BMW GS right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,309 Posts
KnightofNi II said:
ahhhh. mom misses his friend. how precious. ;D


not yet, but soon.
i'm trying to convince myself that i can live without a BMW GS right now.
Full size, or mini? I'd like to get a full size GS someday, but a cheap thumper works pretty fookin well for 90% of what I'm asking. It's my primary bike now, as I put my supersport away for the winter and it's going to re-emerge as a track/race bike. For commuting, it's tough to beat the cheap DS - it's tall, so you can see over cars, thin, so you can cheap traffic, makes just enough power to get you from exit 1 to 15 without complaint, wheelies when traffic is light... yadda yadda. I built a rack and mounted some pistol cases to mine, wired in some grip warmers and put some hand guards on...

the only think the GS will have it beat on is anything over ~60 mile stretches. But the DR whoops the GS for dicking off off the road.

Oh - and we are a hell of a precious lot around here.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,219 Posts
DS?
i was thinking of a 650GS. if i could get a dakar i'd be even happier.

if i got a full sized GS then i wouldn't be able to justify keeping the monster.

i would like to get a KTM adventure...and i have been looking at the pegaso as well, it might not be the best choice, but there's something about it that i like.
i also looked at the DR650 and 400 as well as the 400sm. the 400 i'm told is pretty underpowered so i might avoid that one unless i get one that is already worked up for cheap.


the BMW wins out over all everything except the KTM though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,309 Posts
DS= dual sport..
The DR400 makes about the same power as the 650, but no torque, so you really are beating on it at traffic, at least how I understand it. My desire to own a 650GS pretty much dissappeared once I started shopping in earnest for a thumper. It costs ~20% more than any of the japenese singles, and the only thing it does better out of the box is higher speed road stuff (ie freeways.) The reason I pretty much totally ruled it out is that it seems the least hoolaganistic - it's tuned to be smooth and cruise, not to be dirty and wheelie. I think my girlfriend could be very happy with a GS, but she doesn't get the hooligan bug, she never even tries to do stupid pet tricks on the monster.
I'm pretty happy with DR, but really, a KLR or XR650L probably would serve my needs just as well. I don't even know what state you live in, but if you can legalize an off road bike, the DR400 that is off-road only (E, I think), makes really good power, and can be tarded out into a sweet law breaker.
KnightofNi II said:
DS?
i was thinking of a 650GS. if i could get a dakar i'd be even happier.

if i got a full sized GS then i wouldn't be able to justify keeping the monster.

i would like to get a KTM adventure...and i have been looking at the pegaso as well, it might not be the best choice, but there's something about it that i like.
i also looked at the DR650 and 400 as well as the 400sm. the 400 i'm told is pretty underpowered so i might avoid that one unless i get one that is already worked up for cheap.


the BMW wins out over all everything except the KTM though.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,219 Posts
toolfan said:
DS= dual sport..
The DR400 makes about the same power as the 650, but no torque, so you really are beating on it at traffic, at least how I understand it. My desire to own a 650GS pretty much dissappeared once I started shopping in earnest for a thumper. It costs ~20% more than any of the japenese singles, and the only thing it does better out of the box is higher speed road stuff (ie freeways.) The reason I pretty much totally ruled it out is that it seems the least hoolaganistic - it's tuned to be smooth and cruise, not to be dirty and wheelie. I think my girlfriend could be very happy with a GS, but she doesn't get the hooligan bug, she never even tries to do stupid pet tricks on the monster.
I'm pretty happy with DR, but really, a KLR or XR650L probably would serve my needs just as well. I don't even know what state you live in, but if you can legalize an off road bike, the DR400 that is off-road only (E, I think), makes really good power, and can be tarded out into a sweet law breaker.
i know the GS costs more, and i'm fine with that since it is a more "well mannered" bike. it is going to be mostly a commuter so well balanced road manners. basically though, i want something with good torque that is light and it needs good brakes (the KLR is out because of that).
if i can go play in the dirt and mud with it then it's even better.
i also don't want to spend a lot of money getting it to where i want it. i want it to be pretty much there out of the box. i have no idea how to legalize a bike, or what it would require in PA. (yes, the complete other side of the country) though i do like the hooligan nature of a bike made road legal. i'm imagining the sound of a dirt bike screaming down the highway.

how are the brakes on the DR?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,309 Posts
KnightofNi II said:
how are the brakes on the DR?
Better than the KLR, probably not as good as the GS.
The thing about the DR/KLR/XRL is that the aftermarket support is so good, you can get it where you want it for cheap. There are many options to upgrade the KLR - I think you can upgrade the lines and rotor for about $200.
I rode my DR to Ouray this summer. With a 16t front sprocket and anakee tires, she does the road just dandy. Seat comfort becomes the limiting factor, but I did a couple 600 (freeway) mile days - and that was when it was running so lean that it could barely hold freeway speed. Oh - I can scrape pegs in the twisties with this set up too...

GS Dakar in OH: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174581
Another in FL: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176599
Dirty DR in AL: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181538
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,309 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top