Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO I got failed for having an integrated rear light / indicator unit, which came with the bike when I bought it a year ago. I assumed it was a stock part. The tester said the indicators were not far apart enough and, I noticed later, the red lights double up as orange indicators when the indicators are flashing. Is this legal? Is the tester a bit of a jobsworth?

Also, if I replace this with standard LED indicators, as I'm planning to do, will I need ballast resistors?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Here in the Netherlands it's also illegal. We don't have something like MOT (yet), but if you're pulled over by the police you might get a ticket.
Last year I installed Kellermann atto lights, they are really small, but also very bright. And have E marking.
I didn't have to use aditional resistors

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yes Illegal. Here in Germany too. The EU norm is that they have to be 180mm apart IIRC. There are so many good LED options out there these days, as Jan mentioned. Small and Bright. If they have an E marking you are on the safe side.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well, I bought some cheapo rear indicators, non-led. Without a rear light connected, the front (non-led) one flashes madly. And when I connect the rear..... they both flash madly. With the original rear LEDs connected, all is good so is it a case of the bulbs not drawing enough current? They are supposedly rated at 3w each.

·
Registered
152 Posts
3W is relatively low for non-led. In the old days indicator lamps were 21W, nowadays usually 10W.
The original leds might have built-in ballast resistors

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
3W is relatively low for non-led. In the old days indicator lamps were 21W, nowadays usually 10W.
The original leds might have built-in ballast resistors
Looks like it's new, more expensive indicator time! The ones I bought, you can't even change the bulb because the lense is glued on, not screwed! Mind you, I've just discover that up to 120 flashes per minute is legal, I think these do a125-130 so maybe I can get away with it!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Looks like it's new, more expensive indicator time! The ones I bought, you can't even change the bulb because the lense is glued on, not screwed! Mind you, I've just discover that up to 120 flashes per minute is legal, I think these do a125-130 so maybe I can get away with it!
The Germans have a saying "he who buys cheap, buys twice" and as annoying as they can be for always wanting to be right, sometimes they are.

Do it right, do it once. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts