Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting this in the General Forum since it crosses over more than one subject area.

Went to Moroso in West Palm Beach for the first time yesterday. Interesting course - lots of lonnggg straights connected by really slow bus stop chicanes. Thirteen turns, 2.25 miles. A lot of riders said they don't really care for it because of the surface and layout. I think I want to go back at least once more to master the sections I didn't get dialed in this time.

The track was still wet from overnight rain showers and just as our Novice group was called for the first session another light shower passed over. I don't like riding in the wet, and thought to myself, "Oh boy, This is just great!" Actually, it was a great experience. Since the Novice groups are always led by instructors (my instructor happened to be Clyde Romero, VP of U.S. Club Desmo on his 916 track bike) and the first session runs under standing yellow it was a great opportunity to see what a wet track with lots of tar sealer strips feels like. The south end of the track dried way before the north end which made it even more interesting. I really learned a lot about feeling the limits approaching on a wet track. Very good experience!

Quite a few Ducatis there. The pit next to me had a really sharp 748R. Several other Ducs spread between the Intermediate and Advanced groups.

It took me until the third session to really get comfortable on that track, and even then, I still managed one off-track excursion between Turn 2 and the first bus stop at 3-4. T2 is a decreasing radius that just suddenly becomes a narrow straight and I just drifted wide right at the exit and opted to stand the bike up as I ran off the pavement. The instructor was behind me and used me as an example at the debriefing of how to ride it out. I just rolled off throttle slowly and paralleled the edge of the pavement for about 40 yds keeping the bike upright and loose on the controls. Engine braking slowed me enough I was just able to get back on the pavement and squeeze on enough brake to flick into the 3-4 chicane. That was enough to throw me off my pace for about half a lap. Several crashes including one bad one on that same stretch throughout the day, so I'm kind of proud I was able to save it.

The fourth session right after lunch turned out to be my last for the day. Toward the end of the session I started getting a weird jump/click sensation in the throttle grip every time I rolled it open for the drive out of the corners. It got progressively worse for a whole lap, so I came in immediately (only missed one more lap of that session). After the classroom debriefing, I popped the throttle housing open and found

Turns out I was probably breaking a strand or two every time I opened the throttle which caused the sensation in the grip. About 6 more turns and I would have been riding back to the pits on the rescue trailer instead of the bike. That looks like how many strands are left in the cable.

And that leads me to my Tech Question: Has anyone ever used an aftermarket throttle and cable assembly to replace Ducati parts? I know LP has some stuff that is cabled for some different Kehin and Mikuni carbs. Or is it something I can only get from the dealer?

Anyway, that was the end of the day for riding.

Time to load up and go watch a couple of sessions from the grandstands.

The best non-Ducati sight was a museum quality vintage Norton race bike piloted by a 62 yr old guy who was thrashing some of the superbikes in the Intermediate group. And he was on the skinny tires like they ran in the 60s! I was talking with the co-owner in the stands while watching the bike in action. It was awesome to see.

Disappointing? Yes. But still a great time. Saw some acquaintances I've met up at Jennings. Made new friends I'll probably see up there in the future. Learned new skils and tricks. If you can't decide whether to do a track day - go for it. Great way to spend a fun day with your bike and a group of friendly people with a common interest.

M

·
0 Posts
looks like you had a fun time, parts failure aside.

I'm way out on the right hand coast but just curious what the track day cost you? I'm thinking of taking one up north of here at Road Atlanta (its so far from Atl it should be called Road Georgia)

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This event was $155 through Sportbike Track Time (STT). Jennings GP up near the FL/GA line off I-75 is $125 for open track days with Mondays discounted to $85. STT events at Jennings are also $125. It varies according to the track. STT also tacks on a $15 or $25 (can't remember which) surcharge if you book your spot within 15 days of the event.
Code's school runs about $385 per day at Jennings. Add $200 if you rent one of their school bikes, which is a good deal to me to get to thrash a track-prepped bike for a whole day.

Expensive? Kind of. But much cheaper (and safer) than a speeding ticket, raised insurance rates, points on your license and all the other hassle you could get trying to have the same kind of fun on the street. Addictive? Oh yeah ;D

STT may add a Road Atlanta date to their schedule sometime this year. If they do, I'm definitely booking a spot.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool 8)

STT will be back at Moroso Sunday, Nov 7. I will most likely be there to finish coming to grips with that track ;D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts