Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I am a new member here but some of you may know me...I am the one selling the clonable Ducati Keys on Ebay as pfrancis365. I appreciate everyone's business and feedback, but what I am trying to do is figure a way to reset the ECU and cluster in case people lose all their keys. I don't have a whole lot of info on the procedure regarding the issues of the lost key but the dealer here has said that if all keys (or red key, according to them) are lost the customer must replace 1.) the lock set 2.) the ECU 3.) The instrument cluster, is this correct?...I have heard also that there are aftermarket performance ECM's that you can use to ignore the immobilizer circuit, so if you lose keys can you just replace the ECU with one of these units and then start the bike with a metal key? This sounds possible as Hondata has done this for Acura RSX ECU's. Finally does anyone know if the circuit boards in the immobilzer ECU and instrument cluster have the chips exposed? The reason I ask is that I looked at a Vespa immobilzer ECU (similar system) that was totally sealed and that would make the job much harder. I understand if you don't want to answer any of these questions considering I am new here, I just want to get an idea if putting time and efffort into figuring a way to try to reset these is worth it.
Thanks, Brooks
You can also email me a brookfrancisco AT yahoo.com

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
Yes, I'm an EE and am working on this as well. We have hired a research firm to look in to this. The factory manual has optimistic wording in it, but there's nothing to be done externally. The Ducati Magneti-Marelli system red/blk key setup doesn't behave like other RFID red/blk key systems in the automotive market.

BTW, we bought 2 of your keys, thanks. One of them was for a bike I've got that only has one black key, so thanks for the reassurance.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Gents:

I'm following this topic with more than mild interest as I'd love to get one or more spare keys for my '02 750 Dark.
Had no idea about the Black Key/Red Key/Code Card Immobiliser issues and wasn't informed as such at the time of purchase.

Have heard prices of anywhere from 900-2300 American Dollars to replace all the necessary parts if I lose my only key... :eek:
Also heard/read that the chip can be taken from the existing key and placed by the Immobiliser antenna to allow other 'mechanical' keys to work, but I'd rather not strip out my only 'correct' key...

So please keep that 'Key-Cloning-And-Whatever Info" coming. ;)

SJ

·
Registered
51,206 Posts
chris said:
BTW, we bought 2 of your keys, thanks. One of them was for a bike I've got that only has one black key, so thanks for the reassurance.
Hey Chris, does that mean you can confirm that these cloned black keys work without having needed the red key to program them?

big (it doesn't affect me and my carbed bike, but I've been following along trying to work out what works...)

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Question for ducman and Chris- Now that missing a red key no longer stands in the way of getting more keys made, what is the next functional limitation that missing a red key poses? I read a post somewhere from ducman that without a "reddie" you can't remap the FI, but you can change the fuel profile. What's the distinction between these two and again, is it functionally significant? I'm guessing that if your gauges or ecu or ignition switch die you have to repace them all instead of just the dead one Y/N? Anything else come to mind?
Thanks, Bryan

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
On this same note, I'd like to ask others if their experience has shown that the gauges can be replaced as long as the key and ecu remain the same. I have swapped out gauges and haven't had a problem with them. (By problem , I mean you can't start the f'in thing) I was told by a Duc shop that with a red key, you can do more, like change the ecu from another bike if you go through a long on and off procedure with the keys BUT it only works if the ecu hasn't been programmed to another key and gauge set.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Well without the Dreaded red key you cannot reintiate the immobilizer if you should have to swap gauges or the ECU. I do believe that you rbike will still start and run with a virgin, unprogrammed component but the Immobilizer LED will be on.

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
And I have verified that with all tools available, once an ecu/gauges are married, they are tied to the red key + any black keys that are in the system. If you get "virgin" parts, you will need to get a red key with them or borrow someone's red key for cloning. :p

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
chris said:
If you get "virgin" parts, you will need to get a red key with them or borrow someone's red key for cloning. :p
An alternative is that if you get 'virgin' parts you can dispense with the immobiliser by not using the red key and avoid all the problems it can cause. The bike runs without it being enabled.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Here is what I was told works by Brian, service manager @Razee Cycles:
1. Get both the red and black keys on the bench away from the bike. 2. Red key in, turn on in ignition, wait for 3 flashes and count down 30 seconds ,remove . 3 .Black key in ,wait for 3 flashes, countdown 30seconds ,remove,etc. 4. Second black key if you want to and have it, repeat this 4 times

Keep other keys on the bench , away from bike while one is used in bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.