Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve always thought Monsters were one of the sexiest bikes out there and was so pumped to pick this 2011 796 up. Super clean, only 9700 km, with Two Brothers twin undertail exhaust (a must as far as I was concerned!).

I've got a few short rides under my belt now and have been totally disappointed in the performance of the thing. I’ve never ridden a “sport” bike, and never really been interested in one because I’m not a super fast/aggressive rider and just prefer to cruise, so knew I wouldn’t love the riding position. But still....

I traded away my '05 Sportster 883 for this bike, so i've got lots of experience on a v-twin. Even though the Monster is about 10% less displacement, I thought it would be a better all around performer than my Sporty, but I just can't seem to find a gear/speed combo where it sings like that bike. I realize this revs a lot higher, and have been reading forum posts about keeping it above 3500 RPM, but I'm unable to find useable power in a useable gear.. Around town (speeds in the 50/60 km/h range) it's hardly worth putting it in 2nd gear. On the highway at 120 km/h it's barely at 4000 RPM's in 4th gear, and if I honk on it it just kinda barks and slowly accelerates (by slowly I mean it just doesn't put you back in your seat). I mean, is there even a use for 5th and 6th gears??

The previous owner did a couple of basic performance mods: 2 Bros slip-ons, MWR filter kit (although he kept the stock air filter??), unplugged the solenoid controller so it's always wide open (i'm unclear on whether this is on the exhaust or intake side).

So i'd like to get some more lower end torque out of it without putting a bunch of money into it. I've seen lots of posts on changing sprockets and that seems be the go to mod for low end. A couple of questions: 1. smaller in the front OR bigger in the back OR both? 2. is the speedo affected by this change?

Another thought is to get a tuner, but that doesn't seem to be very popular from what i've researched.....perhaps it's too little gain for the $?

Thanks in advance to anyone who chimes in with their thoughts!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Definitely a difference between the two bikes on what rpm range they prefer. The Sportster is all done about the same rpm range where your Monster is waking up. You will find plenty of power between 4000-9000 rpm. Think formula 1 , not tractor power band.
A sprocket change will help perk things up at lower speeds. Most people change the front sprocket if the chain is in good shape, 1 tooth less. Sometimes that causes the chain to run close to the swing arm, so the preference is to go bigger on the back sprocket 3-5 more teeth. That’s more expensive and requires a chain, so many people wait to do that until a chain is needed.
Sometimes with intake and exhaust changes such as you have, reprogramming the ecu might be needed to make the bike run well.
Your Speedo won’t be affected by a sprocket change.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts