Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time lurker, first post here.

I've had my '02 Monster 620 for six months now and I can't say enough great things about it. However, the riding position is a little too harsh for longer rides. I would prefer a more relaxed handlebar...but I cannot seem to find one.

I've read postings where people have referred to them, but I've not been able to find an actual source (with link or telephone #). I've stubbornly looked for weeks and now I must finally give in and ask:

Can anyone give me an actual source (phone or web address?)for purchasing a more relaxed set of handlebars that will work with the existing cable length?

Thanks! I saw a post on this earlier, and someone suggested the bars from the City model....of which my dealer couldn't locate and I have been unable to track down.

Thanks! Great place.....just browsing the forums has been incredibly helpful! (I even painted my belt covers today as an earlier post mentioned....)

Heath

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Welcome aboard Mr 1000. That means you are our 1000th member. You dont get anything,just a big Whooo Hooo!!!!

As far as the bars I cant help ya, I have clip ons on my 620, but Im sure there is someone out there wh can help.

R

·
0 Posts
Welcome aboard Mr 1000. That means you are our 1000th member. You dont get anything,just a big Whooo Hooo!!!!

As far as the bars I cant help ya, I have clip ons on my 620, but Im sure there is someone out there wh can help.
please check the thread "only 6 more".....I don't know what you won, but if it is a M1000, you are welcome. can't help on the bars either sorry.
kinda seems a shame you get the lucky 1000 and the first two
posts can't even answer your question..... :(
but then look at who is posting, honest there are some really good people here who know a lot...... 8)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:eek: ... I didn't realize I was the 1000th member!

Gman,

By more relaxed, I mean more upright and more swept back. I realize there are limitations (the cabling). When sitting on a Kawasaki Z1000, for example, it feels about right.

Does that clarify it enough?

Thanks!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Heath,

The bars from a Monster 900 City are exactly what you are looking for, I think. Any dealer can order them -- or try one fo the board's sponsors. I think they were about $60 when I priced them.

Try John at Ducati Seattle:

[email protected]

I know he had them in stock a couple months ago and is familiar with the mod.

For a 620 Dark, you don't have to change any of the cables/lines, but for the dual disk 620's you do need new lines. I was going to purchase these, but the more I rode with my stock bars, the more I liked them.

good luck,
Mike

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike,

I'll send an email now...thanks!

I thought the city bars were the answer...but couldn't find them anywhere.

Gman,

I looked at the Cycle Cat bars and they specifically note for the Monster series that their bars are designed ONLY to lower the bars from the stock position with no option to raise :(.

Otherwise...they look great. So much so that I wondered....only briefly...if I could get a surgical arm extension ;).

Thanks!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Ok. For the Cycle Cats, you could place the Clip-ons above the triple clamp. To do that, you would need to raise the forks, don't know if you want to do that. Also, the 620 has the bottom brackets cast into the OEM triple clamp. This would leave an, IMHO. ugly bracket left. CC is in the process of making a triple clamp for our model year. They have some SWEET looking triple clamps, but as you can see, the process to go to clip-ons could be a big undertaking.

O

·
0 Posts
Hcajandig:

You and I seem to be in a very small minority in the United States. We want to be more comfortable and upright on our Monsters, while the rest of the Monster world wants to lean way over. The stock non-S4 bars bend down at the ends. They can be rotated forward so that the ends are level, but then you loose most of the sweepback. This satisfies most owners. Some even install clip-ons to lean over even farther. Ah youth! I have been looking into this for some time. Renthal of England is known in this country for their dirt bike handlebars. Unfortunately, these have almost no sweepback. They do make a line of Road Handlebars. These appear to be just what we need, with plenty of sweepback, rise and level bar ends. Unfortunately, Renthal America has decided not to carry these bars. They told me they sold their remaining supply to Chaparral. I called and ordered them--and waited and waited--no bars. I called again and was told that they were back ordered, even though they told me they had some when I ordered them. I am trying Renthal Canada. They initially told me that they couldn't sell to me in the United States. They agreed to send them to me after I pointed out that Renthal America refuses to carry them.

I will update if and when I ever receive these bars (Renthal part no. 755-01), plus any problems installing them. I also read on another thread that the Honda 919 bars should fit. They may have the shape we are looking for.

Aloha, Oldyellowbiker

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hcajandig:

...We want to be more comfortable and upright on our Monsters....
I'm pretty much laying on my tank and find it more comfortable then the stock bars. Especially going as fast as my little 750 can go. Could be that I'm just freaking weird.. ???

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oldyellow,

If you get a chance, check out a Kawasaki Z1000...the bars are tall and swept as well. The downside is that the cabling isn't very long so some bars that might work...won't.

I have an email in for the city bars...so I'll let you know if I hear anything!

Heath

O

·
0 Posts
Hcajandig:

The Z1000 bars, while fine on the Z1000, seemed to be too tall/swepted back to accomodate the brake lines and cables on the Monster. I have only seen a photo of the Monster City. The bars also seemed too tall. But obviously, if the Renthal quest doesn't work out I'll have to look elsewhere.

R

·
0 Posts
Duckman, I have an 02 620 Dark. I find the bars to be uncomfortable on long trips or in traffic. Maybe that's because I am used to the crotch rockect positioning of a CBR. Can you tell me what is invloved in terms of cost, mods, etc in switching to clip on's?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update:

I waited a few days for an email response, but finally decided to call Ducati Seattle to look into getting the new handlebars.

In a 4:30 second phone call (cell phone) a friendly lady looked up the bars, confirmed that they worked on an '02 Monster Dark (single disc) and took my order information/credit card.

Wow...that was easy. I'm eager to see how they work when they get here.

Total cost: $69 (Monster City bars).

Thanks to everyone who helped....I'll post an update and pics when they get here.

Heath

M

·
0 Posts
I used a ginaric bar found at a local bike shop, they are about 1.5" more rise and ends are level, they were $16. I had to reroute throttle cable to rear of trees and cut off a zip tie that was retaining some wires from lengthening. I'm still looking for a little more hight, I think some buell s3 bars may work, the s3t bars are great but would require much headach with brake and clutch stuff. I've done some fast 100 mile rides in its present config and was not that uncomfortable. The buell bars are $42.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I looked at some Buell XB9S bars that should work with lengthened brake lines. Not sure about throttle cables - haven't checked for available slack on them yet. The rise and pullback are just what I'd like, but the ones I found are only availabe in chromed steel. Check at your nearest Harley/Buell dealer.

I'm going to check with my dealer on the City Bars. They may be just what I want. I'm due for new brake lines anyway, so a new bar setup may be in order at the same time.

Mark J

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will be out of town for the next week, but the bars will be waiting for me upon return. Expect photos and a mini-review in the next few weeks. I'm hoping they are a significant difference from the stock bars....

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Old Yeller, I also would like a more relaxed position as my race days are over.

I live in Canada so please let us know if the Renthal bars work?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts