Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Monsters vs. Super Hawk (and Merry Christmas)

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Doc 
#1 ·
Well I commited a terrible sin today. I rode my Dad's new (to him) Super Hawk home today. WOW. What a machine. My Dad has always loved Ducks, but has had a tricked Sportster since I can remember, but he picked up a Mint 99 996 Super Hawk today, Merry Christmas Dad. He has loved those bikes since they came out.

He rode it half way back to town then asked me to have a go and switch from the car.

I merged onto I-95 and before I knew it was doing 120mph then slowed to 90.

I would never trade my Monster for it, but if I couldn't have a Monster, that is number two. Anyone else have a second to their Duck?

And Merry Christmas to Everyone.

G
#2 ·
I must say my new Duc takes first place in every category....My previous love was a 2001 TL1000S that was way more than stock. I loved that bike completely and had never sat on a bike that felt more alive or more fierce until I got my hands on the S4R....All I have to say is, I have NEVER ridden anything that comes close in my 13+ years on 2 wheels... I love it and I would not even think about another bike at this point.

Tell your dad MerryChristmas though! The Honda's are great bikes as well! ;D

#3 ·
Remember; it's only cheating if your Monster catches you.

My first bike was an '89 500 Ninja. Now I have a custom '79 lowrider (not a trailer queen!). But I'm currently waiting very impatiently to pick up my new baby, an S4R.

I'm sure there is no comparison (as in my bikes) to the S4R. Judging by everyone's reactions, this will be a bike to second to none.

Merry Christmas!

G
#5 ·
I know what you mean about the superhawk, My buddy who I do most of my riding with has one and every now and then we trade bikes for a day. It's a great ride!! It is a twin after all. Feels sort of top heavy compared to the Monster, In the straights and long sweeping turns it's a blast! and very ****ing fast! But in the tight twisties the monster is god!
My second love would have to be the Triumph Speed Triple, I'm a naked freak! Great Bike!! Isn't totally out of the question as a second bike! Or maybe I should do something totally unlike the Duc, Like an aprilia RSV mille!!!!

#7 ·
I had a SuperHawk for 1 day. I rode it to work and I let one of the guys ride it at lunch....he totaled it sliding under a truck. Good thing was he felt bad and bought it from me. I never got to really feel what it was like. I am on my second Monster (S4R) and am more than pleased. I always ridden v-twins, but Ducs have so much more personalty than the Japanese imitations of them.

#11 ·
I just purchased my first Ducati; I still have my Superhawk, which I purchased new in '97 (it's a '98). But, alas, it is now for sale (hint, hint).

What made me switch to an '04 M1000s.i.e. from the VTR1000 is, I suppose, the lack of character to what is generally a fine bike. The VTR1000 handles fine, goes real fast, and brakes competently. I hope the Monster will do at least as much while providing the Ducati panache the 'hawk lacks.

That, and Ducati Island parking in July.

#12 ·
I sold a '95 Honda CB1000 to make way for my S4. It was big and heavy but very comfortable and a great tourer. Performance numbers were about the same but I really had an itch for a light twin. Have not been disappointed.

#13 ·
Ridden both, owned one.

Superhawk was faster, smoother, cheaper to buy (used at least), quicker and easier to ride. It bored me. Exciting at insane speeds, dull otherwise.

Monster was a ball to ride and is fun no matter how I ride it (long distances excepted). Bought and own the Monster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.