Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help from one of our Italian members.

When I removed my seat, there was a painted stamp that said "08 Gen 1998" . My bike is a '99, but I was wondering if this was the build date. Does anyone know what 08 Gen might mean?

Doc
1/2 Sicillian and yet I speak no Italian

R

·
0 Posts
Was it on the seat or under the seat? Aren't the seats stamped with years? I have heard other people whohad older dates stamped on there seats.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Yep, it is january th 8th.

I find same stickers many places and they are close to the stamped manuf. date. I like those dates to signify the birth.

Mine is coming up !!!!!

Happy Birthday , Tanti Auguri Doc !

Skier

·
Registered
236 Posts
The date on the seat is the date on which the seat was manufactured. Even with just-in-time delivery, many companies hold a fair amount of inventory. This is especially true if a supplier has a history of shipping late. That being the case, it's not surprising that the date that appears on the bottom of the seat predates the build date of your bike by quite a bit.

For whatever it's worth, my company supplies oil pumps to the automotive industry. Everything that we ship has the date on the palet and the box. If the customer is picky, and the parts are large enough, then the date must appear on the parts as well. It's used for traceability.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was hoping it meant June. Nice Karma to find that you and your bike share a birthday. It has to be the date of the seat manufacture. No way could a 99 have been made in 1/98. Thanks to all who responded.

Doc

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That could go either way.

Ride with/on Ann Margaret
or
Die alone, on the toilet and buried in the back yard like a hampster.

Doc
Hoping he didn't step on your blue suede shoes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts