Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone install Ducabike clear clutch cover and pressure plate?
If so, can you share your experience and installation process.
really love the look of it.. but not sure how big of a job it will be..

Share some pics if you have it on ur bike!

thanks!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I haven't done it myself (yet) but I've seen a couple of tutorias for a Panigale and seems relatively simple. Here's a link with the Panigale installation which has a similar pressure plate and one with a 796 that has a similar housing. Combine both of them and you should be fine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah..
I saw the video for the Monster 821 conversion..
Was just wondering if its easier with the 1200 since it already has hydraulic clutch.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yes, it should be like the Panigale, drain the oil, remove the cover and the pressure plate, replace both, tighten everything up and refil. Almost plug and play.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's totally different than the Panigale. It is a lot more extensive work as you have to take off the whole assembly instead of just the clutch part. Took me the whole day to do it but doable.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
That looks awesome! Can you post a closer up picture of the bike when you get the chance?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Here is is on a red 1200. The install is not bad at all, just take your time and make sure you identify the bolts that hold the clutch cover on as there are several different lengths. I made a template with the new cover and put each bolt in the appropriate hole. The only issue I had was when trying to get the new cover on, there is a small tab on the cover (see red arrow in picture below) that kept hitting the front cylinder belt cover as I tried to put the cover into position. I ended removing the screws to the front belt cover and moving it out of the way enough to slide the clutch cover on. I suggest you try positioning the clutch cover onto the motor prior to applying the sealant to make sure things are out of the way. Then when you apply the sealant, you can place the clutch cover straight onto the proper place and not make a mess out of your sealant bead.

One other thing I notice and honestly did not anticipate (I also had no instructions from DucaBike as I bought my cover used from another member on this site) was that you will need more oil to fill the case to the proper level with this clutch cover. The internal volume of this cover is greater than the OEM so plan ahead.

It's a great mod and adds some flash to any bike. I get lots of compliments on every ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Nothing much to add... except I like mine. I bought the bike with it already installed, so I can't comment on installation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here is is on a red 1200. The install is not bad at all, just take your time and make sure you identify the bolts that hold the clutch cover on as there are several different lengths. I made a template with the new cover and put each bolt in the appropriate hole. The only issue I had was when trying to get the new cover on, there is a small tab on the cover (see red arrow in picture below) that kept hitting the front cylinder belt cover as I tried to put the cover into position. I ended removing the screws to the front belt cover and moving it out of the way enough to slide the clutch cover on. I suggest you try positioning the clutch cover onto the motor prior to applying the sealant to make sure things are out of the way. Then when you apply the sealant, you can place the clutch cover straight onto the proper place and not make a mess out of your sealant bead.

One other thing I notice and honestly did not anticipate (I also had no instructions from DucaBike as I bought my cover used from another member on this site) was that you will need more oil to fill the case to the proper level with this clutch cover. The internal volume of this cover is greater than the OEM so plan ahead.

It's a great mod and adds some flash to any bike. I get lots of compliments on every ride.
How difficult was it to swap the pressure plate bearing over? Did you heat it for long?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi Pete,

Not very difficult at all. I have now done it twice, once to my Monster 1200 and once to my Panigale 1199S. In both instances, I did not heat the bearing at all. I used a punch to knock the bearing out of the OEM pressure plate. There is enough of the outer race exposed to place the punch and tap it out gently. I then re-installed the bearing using an appropriately sized socket and a bolt with some washers and nuts as a press.

The only tricky part is getting the new pressure plate to align correctly in the clutch basket. You need to put the first 2 clutch plates onto the pressure plate and then wiggle the pressure plate onto the basket.

Good Luck!

Rad

1 - 13 of 13 Posts