Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally decided on a Monster over the ST2 (BTW, many thanks to Scott Nelson for recounting his riding impressions for the ST2 and the Monster).

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
I'd have to say fuel injection is a far better option than carbs.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go for the fuel injection, it was a huge improvement when it came in 2000. Specially when you ride through heavy traffic at low rpms.

Slim

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Go for the carbureted model, because you can do your own tuning without special equipment. The 1999 M900S is probably the best of the carbureted Monsters.

·
Registered
86 Posts
'00 900S. Fuel-injected, aluminum swingarm, adjustable showa forks, OHLINS rear, carbon fiber fenders......kicks ass!

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
The fuel injected monsters are a much smoother riding bike and the 2002 and newer models have a different frame, swingarm and rear shock setup and handle great. It is definetely an improvement.
The carb models can get the FCR flatslides and that is the single biggest improvement in Horsepower you can get. Each has its own appeal, it just depends on what is best for you.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found a nice 2001 900S (the best color, too!) at a dealership. The bike is completely stock with complete service records. Looks perfect, but it has over 15,000 miles on it. And the price is in the upper $6000 range. I would expect to pay premium price for a used Monster from a Ducati dealer, but the mileage seems a bit high for the asking price. However, it appears that the bike has been meticulously maintained. Any thoughts or strategies for dealing on this bike?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Price: I just bought a 2001 Ducati 900 Metallic, 0 Miles, Full warranty, $7,000.00 I drove it home two weeks ago it was 20 Deg's out. I bought a brand new black tank on EBay $150.00 with the pump installed and mothballed the other tank. Life is good.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
USD 6.000.- premium price??? I give you an example of the conditions we are living under here in Norway. A 2000 M900 Cromo USD 16.100.- A brand new M1000s will set you back USD 23.190.- This is what I call premium price.
To you question. The 900 sounds great, you could pay the asking price provided they give you huge discounts on Ducati riding gear, margins are usually bigger here.
Get on the road man.

Slim

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think we've got you beat in Denmark Slim. I just paid USD 23k for a brand new M800. 9k for the bike and 14k in licensing taxes....

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ouch! I knew that the cost of living in Scandanavia was high, but not THAT high! [smiley=shocked.gif]

·
Banned
551 Posts
If my wife gets her way I would be selling my bike right when we move to Sweden. So basically - I will have had the bike for two years and sold it for about the same as what I bought it for. Hell - even more if the dollar continues it's decline to the projected 1.35 territory.

Not a bad investment. Almost makes up for losing so much based on my usd exposure in the last year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts