Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I push it out of the garage and let it sit in the sun for an hour then she fires right up. What gives?

Someone suggested a crank sensor. Okay I thought so I put a heat gun to the sensor and no change.

Once started the bike runs fine and restarts instantly when hot.

The bike is a 2003 monster 1000, with 3700 miles

I've tried jiggling the wires, kicking the kick stand, praying etc and the only trick that works is the sun trick.

Last Sunday, in the morning around 8:00AM , I had a car club breakfast to go to and I wanted to bring the bike.
I tried to start the bike and no dice, just cranks. Wednesday it finally stopped raining and I wanted to take the bike to work. I tried to start the bike and just cranks.
Today I push the bike outside, leave it there in the hot sun for over an hour and it started right up.

PS. My garage is nice and dry.

Any help I would greatly appreciate it. Anyone have a trouble shooting manual/guide?

Thanks,
Ralph

·
Registered
319 Posts
Not following, just a regular battery.
Just a thought.
I've got a glass mat battery and when I try to start it when the weather is cold (like 2 in the morning) it won't fire at first.
Try once, leave it 5 minutes and it fires straight up.
Daytime or once I've had it running it starts straight up.
Thinking of going back to a lead acid.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Temp sensor, on my 900ie it's above front tappet cover, try unplugging it and see if it starts cold.
If faulty, it tells the ECU that the bike is warm and does not use a richer mixture needed for cold starts.
or in some cases, (unplugging) it defaults to a normal or limp mode to at least get you home.
both are not good for cold starts. You can test by spraying some starting fluid into intakes when very cold, if it fires right up then it's not getting correct cold fuel mixture.
Test it with a voltmeter for correct range.
just a thought.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Here is diagram from mine, 900ie. horizontal head. Number 32.
sometimes the connection can get badly corroded and just need a good clean.
front cylinder gets a wash from front wheel etc.
It can be tested at varying temps using probes to wires and voltmeter.
There is also an ambient air temp sensor just behind the headlight but I doubt if that would effect a cold start.
here are the values;
Ambient air temp sensor. behind headlight.

........ 0 +20 +60 degs.
min. 9.26 2.85 0.71
max. 10.23 3.15 0.78

Oil temp sensor. engine top front valve cover

.......... 0 +20 +60 +80 degs.
min. 8.73 3.40 0.67 0.34
max. 11.01 4.13 0.83 0.42

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I unplugged it and it started, not sure if that is good or bad. Or if today it was going to start anyway.
I know on old bosch L Jetronic injected cars if the water temp sensor was unplugged the ecu went full rich.
I'll measure the readings and report back.

Thanks!

·
Registered
352 Posts
It started, so can't be bad. maybe it does go full rich when unplugged.
easier to unplug, than an hour of sun baking.;)
Strangely, in the parts manual I have, it is called a water temp sensor??

Normal winter day here, 18deg C. outside. mine reads; 3.90.
dropping quickly after starting to below 1.00. within a minute.

From the table, you can see higher volts resistance when cold, dropping to much less when warm, ie. leaner mixture.
Check the connections and clean, this is what usually happens, I've seen some covered in green corrosion, (copper)
dirty connections reduce the voltage resistance and the ECU thinks the bike is hot.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hey Chris, your correct, it's the resistance, measured in Ohms. I mistakenly said volts.
tables are the same as mine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi All,

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I can trace my problem to a faulty Kill switch. It was starting all week and then one day the bike would just crank. I cycled the kill switch back and forth and then it started to fire. I have since stopped using the kill switch and so far so good. Could it be this simple?

Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts