Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 monster 900. The fuel pump will not prime when you turn the key on. The engine cranks over but will not start.

Checked fuses
Tested relays, ( put 12 volts on them and checked for continuity)
engine cranks over just fine
Put jumper wires in place of relay and pump runs continuous, but bike will start and run then.

It looks like to me the side stand switch, key switch, off/on switch, and fuel sending unit in the tank all effect the fuel pump circuit.

I thought by jumpering at the relay I had eliminated all other switches in the system as being the problem

I am missing something, Any ideas? The bike is still under warranty but they can't get me in till the 8th of May. I would like to ride this weekend.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Ah ignore I reread your post, my idea has nothing to do with it. :(

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I have an 02 monster 900. The fuel pump will not prime when you turn the key on. The engine cranks over but will not start.

Checked fuses
Tested relays, ( put 12 volts on them and checked for continuity)
engine cranks over just fine
Put jumper wires in place of relay and pump runs continuous, but bike will start and run then.
Sounds like a bad relay. If the pump runs when you jump the relays, your pump is fine. Find the relay that runs the pump. And work your way backward to see which is bad (swapping relays).

I had to go through this whole diagnostic procedure myself on my 851. I had a bad pump.
:p

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can the relay still be bad if the coil moves when you put 12 volts on it and it closes a set of normaly open contacts?

I swapped the two small relays and still nothing.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Can the relay still be bad if the coil moves when you put 12 volts on it and it closes a set of normaly open contacts?

Don't understand your question...

You've got to find the bad relay. Keep a relay in and jump the other. If the pump runs, than the removed one is bad. If it doesn't run, the one sitting pretty is bad. This is assuming your fuel pump is running, which you said it did...

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Big YES on above question. My sidestand relay did that - the relay works ("clicks"), but carbon scoring on the internal contacts prevents a closed circuit. Best bet is to find the wires the relay closes and jump them (my permanent sidestand solution).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts