Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys.....this is my first bike so I don't want to do something stupid while cleaning it. Can I water the bar controls, engine, brakes, seat, and wheels. Should I lubricate the chain after each wash? How do you guys do it? Sorry for the newbie question ???. TIA

Carlos

·
Banned
2,007 Posts
try and make a habit of lubing your chain straight after a ride, that way the chain is hot and the lube will get in better, remember too to lube after riding in the rain. as for washing it, i use a hose and wet the whole bike down, just don't aim at guages, switchgear or down the exhaust pipes ;D i generally dribble water over these to wash away suds and chamois these bits first. i also polish my bike often and include the wheels, makes it easier to get chain lube, road grime and brake dust off.
cheers,
paul. [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
No high pressure hosing. Just dribble it to get the soap suds off. Some ppl here have reported getting water in their gauges when washing so I cover mine with a plastic bag when hosing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I clean mine every two weeks ...
use simple green for the non-plastic/non-CF parts. I use a small dish brush from the kitchen.
use WD-40 for the CF to keep it pristine.
use 210 polish for all other plastic/painted parts
on the leather use a little Murphys oil
cannot remember the cleaner I use for the wheels but it brings em up very nicely with minimal effort (when I remember I will repost). Also use all-black tire polish for the tire edge.
as for the chain i use a degreaser as spin the wheel then a chain lube afterwards.
and finally take for a spin to clear the moisture where cannot dry!
all said and done takes me cpl of hours but well worth it......

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
Monsters like to get dirty, I say what the heck, and it stays that way most of the time.

As far as your questin is concerned, you bike doesn't fear water. Like said if you spray it right at the instruments you might get some moisture in there, it really won't hurt it but it'll look dumb for a while. I don't worry about the hand controls at all, and obviously you don't want to spray water down the exhaust. Other than that, spray away.

+1 on simple green, it's great, just keep it off plastic.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
The Fox said:
I clean mine every two weeks ...
use simple green for the non-plastic/non-CF parts. I use a small dish brush from the kitchen.
use WD-40 for the CF to keep it pristine.
use 210 polish for all other plastic/painted parts
on the leather use a little Murphys oil
cannot remember the cleaner I use for the wheels but it brings em up very nicely with minimal effort (when I remember I will repost). Also use all-black tire polish for the tire edge.
as for the chain i use a degreaser as spin the wheel then a chain lube afterwards.
and finally take for a spin to clear the moisture where cannot dry!
all said and done takes me cpl of hours but well worth it......
What's leather on your Duc? Also, not a good idea to use any tire dressing on a motorcycle tire...

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Just did mine today. The amount of grease and brake dust gunk that accumulates around the swingarm and back end of the engine takes ages to clean up. And you can't get it all. I realize it will never be 'as new' clean again. I'm going to start cleaning it weekly to keep on top of it. I think owning a Ducati is like owning a Ferrari. You've got a standard to maintain.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What's leather on your Duc? Also, not a good idea to use any tire dressing on a motorcycle tire...

Have leather seat ...
reasons for not using tire dressing on tire? pls let me know ...

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
I always wash my bikes in this order:

1. Bucket of soapy water with sponge, followed by...
2. Bucket of clean water and chamois/soft material...
3. Chamois dry off....
4. Short ride....

NEVER use a hose straight on your bike unless its really really dirty...water can seep into wire joinings, nuts. bolts and anything else, and before you know it, you have "gremlins" in your Monster... >:D

·
Registered
165 Posts
I hate to admit this, but my drying technique involves a leaf blower. It helps me get the water out of all the hiding spots on this bike. Which, by the way, seems to have more than any bike I've ever owned.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Wanwo said:
Just did mine today. The amount of grease and brake dust gunk that accumulates around the swingarm and back end of the engine takes ages to clean up. And you can't get it all. I realize it will never be 'as new' clean again.
Slacker. That swingarm comes off you know...

I'm going to start cleaning it weekly to keep on top of it. I think owning a Ducati is like owning a Ferrari. You've got a standard to maintain.
Standards?! [laugh]

·
Banned
1,053 Posts
The Fox said:
tire dressing is slippery, and can seep/ooze down onto your tread and could give you a nasty suprise in the corners

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
The Fox said:
Please, please, please DO NOT USE TIRE DRESSING ON YOUR MC. Even if you think you can just apply it to your side walls, just don't. Very, very bad things can happen.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Please, please, please DO NOT USE TIRE DRESSING ON YOUR MC. Even if you think you can just apply it to your side walls, just don't. Very, very bad things can happen.
+1

& not just tires.

I've also heard of low speed crashes from Armourall'd seats being so slippery that the rider just slides right off.

Furniture polish (like lemon pledge) also works great for an easy waterless cleanup (not on tires/seat/grips/pegs or anything else you touch)

·
Registered
27 Posts
1. Spray various cleaners on the metal / CF / plastic parts.
2. Get a bucket of clean water and a sponge. Give the monster a sponge bath.
3. Hit it with an air compressor. Not litterally or you will dent your tank. ;)
4. Polish / Wax the painted parts
5. Lube chain
6. Ride and repeat when necessary.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you do not get to the swing arm too often and the crap builds up... Try a little WD40 on the crud first and then the Simple Green will wash of the WD40. This makes a long soap job into a short two step procedure. I used to have a RD400 that collected a lot of crud and this was the only way to get it off.

dav0

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
A.Duc.H.Duc. said:
Monsters like to get dirty, I say what the heck, and it stays that way most of the time.
+1

When I do actually wash the thing I just use a hose, sponge, and bucket of soapy water (car washing soap). A hose is fine as long as you don't use a high pressure spray setting. For chain gunk on the rims I use a bug and tar remover...it's pretty effective.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Ha Ha, I remember my first dirt bike, oh I loved it so. First day, I put some vinyl protector on my seat. Never did that again.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Gotta be very careful if you used compressed air to help dry the bike. It can push water into places just like a pressure washer. I must admit that I use compressed air at times but I think about where I aim the nozzle and for other areas I keep the nozzel far away and some places (switch gear, wire connectors...common sense should be applied...) I don't hit them with compressed air at all.

An old method of making tires look good without using any tire dressing is brake fluid. I use it on a rag that I keep just for that purpose. Rub it on the sidewalls only (not on the tread), then wipe any remainder off with a clean rag. This seems to take the oxidized rubber off of the sidewalls and exposes clean, fresh rubber. Some guys will probably advise against that...but I have never had a problem...you make the call.

I don't know why people use WD40 to clean things (though once again I must admit I have done it more than a few times myself) It does do a good job but relatively speaking it is very expensive. I use kerosene on a rag...wipe with one, dry with a clean one. Waaaay less expensive than WD40 and does just as good a job...just not as convenient. I'm not suggesting kero for carbon fiber...I don't know if it is OK or not for CF. I use car wash soap for a major clean and hit the CF with Protect All or HondaBrite after drying.

I don't think we will ever come to a concensus with respect to cleaning methods but...take what ya like and leave the rest.

Oh, one last thing. I use "Grape Tire Dressing" on the plastic parts of the S2R (beer tray, chain guards, switch gear housings...and the like) Great stuff! Head and shoulders above Armour All and the like.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts