Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this was my major toss up when i bought the monster and im suprised ive never seen anyone comparing the two. honestly i didnt look much into the thruxton after i met the monster, so does anyone have any opinions? besides "monsters rule!"?

·
Registered
489 Posts
When I test rode one at a demo day, I was underwhelmed with the Thruxton on all accounts... power, ergos, suspension, sound... Cool looking, but would need a lot of work to get up to stock monster standards as far as power output and suspension goes.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
comparing the m900 to the thruxton 900, it looks like the duc makes (a little) more power, has better suspension and brakes, and a six speed vs. the truimph's five cogs. as per stat-sheet comparison, the monster looks to win it hands down. also, if you get the '00 and up 900, you get fuel injection whereas the thruxton has carbs.

but damn if that ain't a fine looking machine. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i saw one yesterday, and the guy must have cored his cans because it sounded superb. they have some dag nasty colors on it though!

·
Registered
489 Posts
I should have prefaced my previous post by saying I had just gotten off my 800S to get on the thrux, and this was "butt dyno" impressions, not number to number impressions.

And the bike I rode was stock... and whisper quiet.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
if you were looking at the thruxton, why not the Sport 1000? thats a bad ass bike for sure!

·
Registered
177 Posts
The Thrux is simply outclassed performance wise by the M900. However it is great looking retro bike. I would not compalin if someone dropped one off in my garage ;D

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sodark said:
if you were looking at the thruxton, why not the Sport 1000? thats a bad ass bike for sure!
sport 1000 hadnt come out yet.. and it was about 4k more than the thruxton.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
CliveS2R said:
this was my major toss up when i bought the monster and im suprised ive never seen anyone comparing the two. honestly i didnt look much into the thruxton after i met the monster, so does anyone have any opinions? besides "monsters rule!"?
They both are cool, but I think the Monster is a bit cooler! [thumbsup]
My friend just got a yellow one with checkered stripes. He put new pipes that are sooooooooooo LOUD! The Thruxton uses 2 keys. It's sort of weird, and the one my friend had, did not have gas gauge so you have to open up the tank to see. Also, there was a part of the exhaust that gets very HOT! It is a heavier than the Monster 1000s I have too!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My monster doesnt have a gas guage. and its nearly impossible to see in the tank. Thats my ONLY beef with the monster. 2 keys? why praytell?

·
Registered
969 Posts
CliveS2R said:
My monster doesnt have a gas guage. and its nearly impossible to see in the tank. Thats my ONLY beef with the monster. 2 keys? why praytell?
You guys do set your trip-o-meter to zero everytime you fill up...don't you? That is our "gas gauge." No need to look in the tank.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hadnt done that yet... how many miles do you usually get (s2r800?)

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Old-Duckman said:
You guys do set your trip-o-meter to zero everytime you fill up...don't you? That is our "gas gauge." No need to look in the tank.
I have been doing this since I started riding, I just don't trust the idiot light!

I rode the Sport 1000, and GT 1000 at a demo day both are powerful, and smooooooth bikes. Haven't tried the triumph yet, but I have never ben into the whole retro look.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I recently rode a Thruxton at a Demo Day and was impressed (I've got a M620 so be gentle ;D ). The ergos on the Thruxton were just plain cool; really had you feeling like you were part of the bike not just perched on it. The motor was unbelievably smooth and sounded O.K (not as cool as a twin but...). The instrument cluster and overall build-quality was very nice.

However, the Thruxton was heavy and the brakes were nowhere near as confidence-inspiring as the Monster's. Also the transmission on the Triumph was "clunky"; none of the smoothness that characterizes the transmission on the Monster.

Overall it was a pretty trick bike. Wouldn't give up my Monster for it, but it would make a nice addition to anyone's collection. And the price was nice also - $7,300 for an '06.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
The Thruxton was the main competition for the Monster when I was shopping for a street bike. I really like the look of the Thruxton. When I really took time to think and be honest with myself, I knew the Monster would be more my style (sport riding) than the Thruxton and my wife prefered the looks of the Monster over the Thruxton.

Now that I've had my Monster for about 18 months, I'm certain I made the right decision but I will always have a fondness for that British twin. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
326 Posts
I wish I had some brilliance to add to this discussion but it looks like all the high point shave been covered.

Thruxton Pros:
Retro cafe-racer looks
Smooth twin engine (who knew?)
Sounds good once the stock pipes are replced (familiar?)

Thruxton Cons:
A bit heavy compared to a Duc (light compared to some other bikes though)
Brakes a step backward compared to a Duc (awesome brakes compared to a H-D sporty)

Thruxton Nuetral:
Price
Handling
Fit & finish
Ergos

·
Registered
977 Posts
I think that it is old dudes like me that the Thruxton is targeted at. I am part of the generation that grew up when British Twins ruled the world. The appeal is nostalgia. I think that Triumph built a great bike at a great price for its target market. I find it very interesting that a younger generation also finds the bike appealing. If I chose to buy a Thruxton it would be because my Dad wouldn't let me have a hot-rod Bonnie when I was a kid and it wouldn't have much to do with performance. It would have much more to do with wire wheels, a vertical twin, the shape of the gas tank, and most of all, that name on the side of the tank. I think it is great that you younger dudes think the bike is cool [thumbsup] [clap]

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
I like it for all the old school retro reasons.
Could be a nice project bike if you can find one cheap, change out the suspension
with quality stuff and add a bad ass zorst like this one from Shark.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah thats badass looking. And at that price its almost stupid NOT to buy one.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Actually..the M620 has nearly identical performance numbers to the thruxton, the big thing is...do you want vintage cafe style, ergos and performance, or an modern interpretation. Both bikes deliver the same wind in your face, uncompromising, like it or love it type of riding. I love my monster but wouldn't mind a thruxton or better yet a GT1000.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts